• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WHY???????

Why are some hunters just so ignorant…? For the 2nd year in a row a got a tree stand stolen from my property. I was back there about 2 weeks ago checking on one of my plots and everything looked great. I went back last night and I really smelled a lot of gas. I just thought it was my 4-wheeler but it looks like someone came in with some gas cans and splashed it all over my food plots, the reason I think that is there are certain areas where the plot is eaten right to the ground and other places right next to it is 2 feet high and smells of gas. I called the Police Dept and we took a walk up there last night and he was shocked. We walked around to see if we could find anything and finally we did find a little clue right by the rope that was cut to raise and lower my bow. The Sherriff found a buck knife with an engraving on it that says “Son I will always love you, Pops”. The knife looked like it was used a lot and it most likely has a lot of sentimental value. The Sherriff is pretty sure it is the same person who stole my stand last year but who knows. Starting this weekend, the police are going to put in a “Lost in Found” in our local paper on the knife they are going to say it was found at the local super market.

I will keep you up to date on what happens…

One thing you can do is to lock your portable in the tree.I made a piece of chain that I wrap around the stand part that attaches to the tree and then lock the two ends together.They can still steal it if they want to cut the chain.I have lost a couple and since installing the chain and locks,no more stands missing.All these were taken on private property deep in the woods.There is always someone willing to steal your stand,sad but true.

That is just about enough to make a guy sick. I can only suggest that who ever had the balls to poor gasoline on your plot must be extremely jealous and shoulnt even be allowed outside if he is just going to trash the earth like that. I feel really bad for ya. putting a lock on your stand will help alot, but as far as catching the guy. Maybe using some well hidden tree cameras could help, otherwise good luck.

If they're trying to destroy your food plots, they're worried about you attracting more deer than what they see - sounds like a local, probably very close to your property. Any teenage boys that live on the neighboring properties that deer hunt?

Why the hell would someone throw gas on your food plot? You'll know for sure when it dies. Maybe a neighbor being a little greedy wanting the deer for himself? Either way that is total talk.

I agree with the other post...this guy thinks you are drawing all the deer in the neighborhood to your plot. Any way you look at it, I hope they catch him. I had 2 stands stolen a couple of years ago as well and it flat out sucks. Let us know if they find the guy/guys. PS don't call them hunters...from no on they are called criminals!

Yeah I agree with you all. I need to chain up my stands but if they really dont want it there bolt cutters are pretty cheap. I really hope this guy likes his knife and calls on the lost and found add. Yeah I think we pretty much know who it is but I cant prove it, yet. All the land around mine is private and the only hunter who owns a couple of acres next to me is the suspect in my eyes. One other little bit of info makes this even better. When I called the police I call the State police beacuse the only Neighbor is a County Deptuy. I am not blaming him but I am sure I will hopefully catch someone. I agree with the camera trick but if they found it it really doesnt matter what is holding it on they are going to get it off being they will know I now have them on film.

That is the crud that happens that really makes your blood boil. I hope they catch the people responsible and charge them with everything possible. No way should anyone have to deal with idiots like this. Sorry man.

I believe they make cameras that will email you the pictures. That way even if they steal your camera you still have them!

Makes me sick too. I just can't believe there are that many losers out there. Sorry about your situation. I hope you catch them soon.

BlackJack-

It's not really fair to suggest teenage kids at all. It could very well be a 75 year old man. Age has no bearing on the problem at all. The fact is that there are alot of shmucks out there that could have done this. It's the hinted blames like that that give youth these days a bad name. Just food for thought.

If you don't want to get your camera stolen, just make him think you have one grin.gif I would get on of those signs that say "Smile, You're On Camera!" and post it on the tree directly below your stand. He'd think you had a tree cam somewhere along the way. That would freak him out a little!

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Stuff like this just plain sucks!

BTW- I'd edit out the part of your post describing what the police plan to do. Just in case he checks this site as well.

What deplorable behavior! I really hope they catch the culprit.

While I have never had a stand stolen, someone scattered mothballs around the perimiter of our hunting land last year a few days prior to rifle season.

Actually it is fair to suggest "kids" -- but to me kids can be from 12 to 30. Kid is a frame of mind -- someone that will do something stupid without thinking or not caring.

Sure, there are older people that could have done that as well, but I would guess that most crimes of that nature are committed by a person less that 30 years old.

Just a thought.

That is a great idea. The poor sap will drive himself nuts looking for the camera. I'm sure they won't get much sleep after reading a sign like that. Great Idea!!!!!!!! Will keep that one in mind. Might just have to print out a few signs like that just for sh*ts and giggles.

Along with that sign idea build some camera looking box and hang it High high up in a tree. Point the sign to it. Funny as heck thinking about them trying to get up that tree to get the dummy camera.

I wouldn't do the sign, but I would secretly hang a camera on a tree limb, up high, nearby some object that you think they will steal or get attracted to. Maybe a feeder box with no food with bring them in out of curiousity.

I would cover up the flash myself.

Make it so you can get a shot of their face somehow.

Make sure the date and time stamp is (correct) on the photo.

The very least you could get is trespassing against them and possibility more probable cause to investigate the thefts and damage.

It is unfortunate that there are people like this...get them! grin.gif

That just plain sucks. A digital camera with the flash turned off and placed up high where they won't see it would be a great idea.

In addition to catching them on film, you need to figure out some way to scare the hell out of them without physically harming them to the point of suing you. Meaning in a comical sort of way that you can have a good laugh at. Have a guy come charging out of the woods at them in bear costume. That is, unless you think they'll have guns. Then don't do that. Any ideas guys?

Or how about the classic sign: Trespassers shot on sight. Surviors shot again.

Dahitman44-

I can agree with the 12-30year old part of your comment. OR anyone making a childish immature decision to harm someone else or the land. However, I have seen way too many 30+ year old men pull some of the most dispicable stuff you could think of when it comes to hunting and fishing up in northern MN.

PERCHKING...

You definately need to change your original post...

You say: "Why are some HUNTERS so ignorant?"

It sucks that some clown did this to you for sure, but don't you dare lump this (Contact Us Please) in with the term hunters. Whether the guy thinks he's a hunter or not, my dad always taught me years ago not to call these lawless, poaching, trespassing, morons hunters. It does a great disservice to our hunting image. Just my two cents...

Two things. Get a regular 35mm trail camera. Make a sign that says "If this camera is not developed by ___ please call (000)000-0000 immediately - reward offered. My thoughts would be that this guy would want to see what deer are on your property and will get the film developed.

I do not suggest this - it is an option that I would not do -

My brother in law had a problem with a neighbor walking on his land to keep deer out. He wanted to get one of those paintball landmines and set them randomly along his side of the fence. Imagine the nice shot you would get on the camera.

You can just say you were playing paint ball with some friends and kept them out there.