• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Words of Wisdom

Bobby Bass

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father-in-law has so many, it's hard to pick. We call 'em "Arvinisms." Here are a few.

On hoping for something you'll never get: "Wish in one hand, s*** in the other, see what you get the most of."

On regrets at just missing out on something or another: "And if the hound hadn't stopped to wet the tree, we coulda shot the rabbit."

On a bad day fishing: "Guess we're not really fishermen, Davey. Musta forgot how. Lakes are all fished out anyway. Think we're just out here burnin' gas. Guess I'll dump the whole lot in a pile and have me an auction." (usually said after 15 minutes, then we proceed to fish the rest of the day..)

On fixing stuff: "Nothing a little shot of DW-4 can't take care of."

When suggesting where to buy equipment: "Miller Fleet, Wal-Mark, K-Mark, Gander Goose, Cabiddle's, Fisherman's Warehouse, ..." (I used to think he was joking, but now I realize that he really believes those are the right names.)

Pretty old-fashioned, set in his ways, never-will-be-like-the-old-days type, but cherish every minute with him on the water.

I remember my Dad telling me "Just Use Your Bean" (Brain that is)

One favorite of mine is from the movie Forrest Gump..."Sometimes, There just aren't enough rocks"

My own... " I only like two things, so I might as well fish" (Married along time I guess) and "Onward through the fog"

An old farmer that I knew years ago would say," Well, I can't dance and its too wet to plow, lets go fishing."

One of my own making," Life is too short to dance with skinny girls."

One uncle, when we were working on a barn," Darn, I cut this board off twice and its still too short."

“Only an Idiat (I know it's spelled wrong but the censor won't let it through) would try the same thing twice and expect different results the second time” I believe this was an Einstein quote

“Dance with the girl ya brung” In reference to: if what you have was good enough to get you where you are, stick with it, the other option may not have gotten you as far. Casey Stangle.

And my personal favorite that my dad, long deceased, use to say, “If you want to live like a republican, you have to work like a democrat”

But I can't grow up

cause I'm too old now

I guess I really did it this time mom

It would ruin it. It would definitly ruin it. Ever get to see him? I saw him twice, once at the Fine Line on the Candyland tour, which was disappointing. Then I saw him at the 400 years later and he played all the old stuff and rocked. Hearing Shining Eyes 10 feet from the stage was an experience I will never forget.

Actaully a fellow FM'er Little Joe (can be seen at left in the avater, only one wearing a shirt) introduced me to JM back in the spring of '91 our Sr. yr. in college on the way to Colorado. He popped Too Long in the Wasteland in as the sun came up over the Nebraska border. Life was never the same.

I know this is all off topic but I've been thinking Rick needs to start a music forum.

I picked up on him in '89, hearing him on Cities 97. I saw him just prior to the release of Where'd you Hide the Body at the Guthrie. Solo acoustic, opening for Joe Ely. It was pretty cool. I saw him last February or March and again last month in the 400 Bar. Great shows both nights. He was in a surly mood the last time, and I loved every minute of it.

Hey LA, there were quite a few "first's" on that trip. You forgot to include we were in the middle of a tornado of snow geese as we crossed that border. I haven't seen that many geese flying at one time since!

Back to the topic, my old man always told me "your time is comin kid". 20 yrs later (wife, kids, mortgage, etc) and I finally know what he meant!

The value of a man will not be judged on what he had but on what he has done.

If you cant find the time to do it right the first time what makes you think you'll have the time to do it right the second

This from my dad, said to me during my rebellious youth.

By the time you can kick my a$$ you will not want too.

My divorced uncle would say.

Never turn your back to anything that would bleed for a week and not die.

This from a mentor.

Life is all about perception the sun still shines above the cloud's

1.When it seems impossible:

If you are up to your arse in alligators, it is very difficult to remember that your main objective was to drain the swamp.

2. For the boyscout in us all:

Prior proper planning prevents poor performance.

3. For my daughter:

You can marry a rich man as easy as you can a poor one.