• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Words of Wisdom

Bobby Bass

my favorite as welll has come from my dad and it is " always take care of the people that take care of you" my second favorite is. remember that the toes you step on today may some day be attached to the butt you will have to kiss tomorrow

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My signature line is from a James McMurtry song, and truer words were never spoken.

His songs are full of great lines and words of wisdom. Here is another favorite of mine that rings so true:

Don't chase that carrot 'til it makes you sick,

What you think you're gonna prove?

Just let it dangle, till it falls off that stick,

That's when you make your move....

Tis' far better

To dare mighty things

To win glorious triumphs

Even though checkered with failure

Then to be ranked with those pour souls

Who neither enjoy much nor suffer much

For they live in that grey twilight

That knows not victory or defeat!

Tis' far easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

Don't step in the WHOYA!

"If you have the time to do it over, you have the time to do it right!"

"A good example is a lesson anyone can read"

"A person can run away from his troubles just as easily as he can run away from his shadow"

"Character is the sum total of all our everyday choices"

"Courage is not the absence of fear but the ability to carry on in spite of it."

"Don't be content with being average. Average is a close to the bottom as it is to the top."

"Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is very costly."

"Nothing increases the size of fish like fishing all by yourself."

"The expert in anything was once a beginner."

Words of wisdom that have stuck with me for the last several years came from an OSHA inspector who did a long two-day inspection of my workplace. We were meeting in the exit conference and he was explaining a violation that I took issue with. The conversation ended when he said, "That's my opinion, and my opinion ought to be your opinion."

Another quote came from the now deceased father of one of my best fishing buddys. About 20 years ago we were on fly in trip in Canada. My buddy and I had gotten our boat firmly stuck on a mid-lake reef. We tried everything to get the boat off and couldn't do it so we decided to get out and pull it off. I stepped out of the boat and into a hole that was well over my head and my buddy followed suit. About that time his dad and mine seeing the boat stuck and us swimming decided to come over an give us a hand. By that time we had managed to get back up on the reef. We quickly tied a nylon rope to their boat and waited for them to pull our boat off. Well the rope snapped and hit me in the side of the head and my buddy square in the family jewels causing both of us to fall back into the water. It was then that my buddy's dad gave us the words of wisdom when he said; "Lets try this again, and this time use your heads for something other than a hatrack"

Quote:

Another quote came from the now deceased father of one of my best fishing buddys. About 20 years ago we were on fly in trip in Canada. My buddy and I had gotten our boat firmly stuck on a mid-lake reef. We tried everything to get the boat off and couldn't do it so we decided to get out and pull it off. I stepped out of the boat and into a hole that was well over my head and my buddy followed suit. About that time his dad and mine seeing the boat stuck and us swimming decided to come over an give us a hand. By that time we had managed to get back up on the reef. We quickly tied a nylon rope to their boat and waited for them to pull our boat off. Well the rope snapped and hit me in the side of the head and my buddy square in the family jewels causing both of us to fall back into the water. It was then that my buddy's dad gave us the words of wisdom when he said; "Lets try this again, and this time use your heads for something other than a hatrack"

That reminds me of a quote I've heard.

"If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you"

From my dad ( who has been gone for a number of years): From as far back as I can remember, sitting on the end of a dock catching sunnies as a child, to the last time he fished with me in the ranger... "Put on your life jacket" I bet my two boys get tired of hearing it...