• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Report your Archery kill -2005

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eatsleepfish,

im just as pumped as you. this will be my first year bow hunting. i am waking up at 6:00 am and shooting for a hour before i leave for school. then i get home from work at 6:30 i eat something. usally done at about 6:45-7:00 and shoot for another hour or more. cant wait.

Just a reminder for some of you that are new to hunting. Practicing everday before season is great. But as the season progresses alot of people seem to give up on the practicing, myself included. Just to remind you to keep in shape during the season, its easy to get lax. Good luck to you all.

Just a tip. I always keep a few practice arrows in my quiver when I hunt. I always pick a leaf on the ground to shoot a while I'm in the tree as soon as I get there just to make sure of no malfunctions, etc. Plus it's also practice and gives you a feel of confidence for the hunt. Just something of done .

Had a bad hit in the shoulder blade on a nice 8 point buck and after looking and tracking for 2 hours I lost it.While hhunting that same day I had a small fawn with spots about the size of a quarter come by and the amazing part was that it was sporting a pretty nice 8 point rack,and the deer probably only weighed 70-80-pounds.That would be a nice deer to shoot in about 2-3 years.

have some rags during your hunt if you feel you need more scent add some scent to a small patch pass it through the arrow blade and aim at something add scent while you practice shooting your bow on a stand....

I went out tonight from 4-8. Right before dark a doe walked out at 10 yards turned broadside and I released the arrow. It was a perfect shot, she was a little bit quartering away. So I aimed about 6 inches to the left of her shoulder. She ran about 20 yards then dropped. It was about a 100 lb.doe. Not a huge one but not bad for a first deer. Im definately hooked for life. Good luck everybody.

pic1617mf.jpg

Way to start the season off right Young Gun... Great shot placement to harvest your first deer!!! I hope the rest of your season treats you good as well...

On a side note, coming back from the movies tonight, the wife and I stopped at a local gas station where one lucky hunter was registering a nice bow buck. This deer was also a first for this lucky hunter. A good looking 2 1/2 year old 9 pointer!!

Congrats Young Gun or should I say Young Robin. NOTHING wrong with a doe. It shoulds like somebody has been teaching you well as well as lots of practice.

I was out a couple of wks ago for elk but NO sign. I did shoot a Timber Wolf, yes Timber NOT coyote, first time I have ever shot one of those. I was on my friends farm and he has had problems with them killing calfs, he had one killed and another mauled, his neighbour has lost 3 and another mauled all this year. In Manitoba if U have an unused big game tag U can shoot Timbers. This female came into to the pond I was set up at and she never lifted her head until after the arrow was through her. She gave a small yelp and trotted off and dropped about 20 yds. The hide was a summer hide so of no value to skin out. Only good thing is maybe one calf may have a chance or even a deer or elk.

Lots of time for deer as our season runs until the end of the 1st wk of Nov.

Nice job Guns!

I was wondering how people would do with the full moon and the heavy winds we had yesterday. I didn't see a thing hunting Saturday a.m. and p.m. Went out again this morning and didn't see anything but squirrel after squirrel.

Next weekend I'll give it a try again.

Great job young guns. Something to be proud of shooting a deer with a bow no matter what it is.

Saw lots of deer all weekend. Ended up shooting a big doe to fill a managemet tag. Can't wait till the rut though. With the full moon and warm weather the bucks were laying pretty low this weekend.

One down, 4 to go.... grin.gif

Well, I don't want 4 more. Thats for sure.

Weekend notes from the hunt.

Saturday morning we were supposed to go out for the youth duck hunt, but lightning and rain put a damper on that idea. frown.gif

After a few hours around mid day working on some tasks at the farm, Brandon(my son) and I headed over to the spot where I wanted to bow hunt.

It was very easy to pick out the spot to set up the Double Bull blind. Woods to the south, and on the north was corn and alfalfa. There was a pile of round bales on woodline to the south and on the north side was the seam of the corn and alfalfa.

We put up the blind amongst the bales. Perfect!

Brandon and I headed to the blind at 4:30pm. Talk about hot and the worst mosquitoes I have seen all year. Oh my god, I almost left. Poor Brandon was miserable. We managed to somehow make it for a couple hours. Nothing happening. But Brandon leaned over in the misery and said, "Dad, even though there aren't any deer, it sure is fun."

That was awesome.

About 6:45pm, a deer snorted behind us(other side of the bales) and bolted through the trees. Obviously it caught wind of us. About 5 minutes later, I caught movement out of the right side window, and here stands a doe at 10 yds! But, she was staring at the blind and stomping and snorting. She was onto us as well. Away she went as I raised the bow.

10 minutes later, I look down the woodline and here comes another deer. Right at us. That one stopped about 50 yds away and started snorting and carrying on as well. OK, this is wonderful. Away it went. Now its quiting time, and I am really wondering about my lack of scent control. We walk out of the tent, and a deer bolts from behind the bales AGAIN!! Oh brother. Plenty of action, not enough luck or too much body odor. confused.gif

Today I was hoping that the blind had some time to absorb some natural smells while it sat overnight. It was very calm and overcast as the sunrise approached. Even a light fog. At 7am I looked over and a deer was coming down the edge of the corn towards me. It took that darn deer 20 minutes to cover the ground to get to me, and talk about an eternity. And it went exactly as planned. Well, almost too good. I anticipated the deer to come to a certain area as it made its way towards me.(It had 2 routes it could have gone and both were within shooting range). The deer ended up coming so perfectly, that by the time I had a shot at it, it was less than 10 yds away. It was quartered to me, and if it got much further, it was going to be in line of my "stink". I had a heck of a time seeing through my peep, sights and the mesh of the blind window. All I could see was brown. I had to lift my head and look again before I fired. I took it a tad further back than I would have liked, but I got the right lung and the exit sadly was a part of the intestines. STINKY!

It was a fawn buck, and he only went about 20 yds before expiring.

Oh what fun.