• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie Photo Gallery

davev

Went up north for a week and made sure to get out one day to chase a few fish. My friend Mike hooked up with this nice 41-42 inch fish right around 9:00 or so. He had 3 follows between 8:45 and the time he caught this fish, those peak times sure are nice to take advantage of.

6014_518361992605_135400772_30877995_502

6014_518362102385_135400772_30878000_774

faaaaast fish. (this is a still from a video my cousin took during the fight.)

He hooked up with the fish boatside after she missed a swipe at his bait, in frusteration he took his bait out of the water and set his rod over his shoulder with the lure dangling in the water behind his back. Luckily my cousin was watching the bait for some reason and he saw the fish come back and grab it. He set the hook like he was splitting wood, it was wild. Something like that helps reinforce figure-8'ing a lot after you think the fish is gone though, haha.

My sister traveled from Phoenix to try to catch a ski over the fourth of July holiday. Slammed a good one after dark and needed my brother's help to hang on! CPR'd and measured for a repro mount for her. 49x22. We all figured it was longer, but just a girthy, big headed beast.

musky_nat.jpg

My 13 year old cousin was up at our place for the 4th and wanted to try his first muskie fishing. He didn't get one but I managed to get a thick 38.5" so he at least saw one. I asked him if he wanted to do the release and his reply was "when I catch one myself". I think he was too busy texting the picture to all his friends rather than getting his line wet. Kids these days...

SSPX0085.jpg

Bemidji area fish. 50in. Missing half her tail and very banged up. July 10th, 7:45pm. Great fight from this fish even with the tail issue. Very hot and hit like a rocket, t-boned a topwater. Last 4 fish boated averaging 50.25 inches.

IMG_0071.jpg

For being so busted up she was still very spirited and one of the best fights I've ever had. To be clear (and I think you can tell from the photo) I did NO HARM to this fish, all the issues were existing and we had a quick and safe release.

Copter John, nice talking to you yesterday. Your sisters fish was beautiful, nice and fat. I can only assume caught in the area where you said you've got a place up here. Sister is pretty cute also, no offense.

yeah, I can see that it wasn't you, those wounds look fresh, but not that fresh. And I suppose it wasn't necessarily a net that did that, but I'm hard pressed to think of what else could have taken such a big piece of that fish's tail and rough up her body like that.

that much of its tail from the spawn though? I want that to be the truth but it looks pretty rough just to be spawning wounds.

How would something like that heal up? would it grow back into some kind of semblance of a tail fin?

Yeah guys, it could be a combination of things that roughed her up. Her other side was actually quite clean, but having had it in my hands and a real close look, someone badly mishandled this fish in the past. The tail was almost rotten. Maybe someone stuck it in a little walleye net or something, but she could also have been banged up spawning. The wounds further up the side were pretty well healed although still not cute or back to normal. The tail was clearly done by maltreatment. My only original point was to be clear to all us muskie heads out there that I didn't hurt this fish or cause the damage and didn't want to get crushed for being the guy who did this to her. She was properly cared for in a proper muskie net and released very quickly and carefully. Interestingly enough, she also squirted eggs in my boat, but I've heard sometimes they just don't get them all out and when I put my hand under her body for the picture, some squished out.

That was #3 in the boat for the day first 2 were 39 and 50 10 minutes apart. I lost a 46ish later that ate on the 8 but not enough lol. That boat netted 6 on Saturday 39-49 1/2, owner getting 5 of them and I couldn't get out.