• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Current Ice Report

Rick

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any permanents out in the metro, its pretty balmy out there, hate to see these guys sink a house half under and then get fined, saw a pond that was froze solid go wide open yesterday, with this ran anybody that jumped the gun with a perm better figure something out, its going to be nice the rest of the week. Kind of like 2 years ago when a bunch went half under.

Quote:

isn't walleye closed on RED lake until 2006? hope that pic was of a CPR!

Red lake is closed for Walleye until 2006, but I don't think it was caught on Red lake. This fish is frozen though, it's not a CPR.

Ole

looks like its going to be a really hard season for some serious fishing. maybe the dnr will extend the season again. by the time we get decent ice the winter will be half over. making it sucky to do all the permenent work fo so little.

Whitetips: The larger, more open lakes around Brainerd are either wide open or covered by a very thin layer of ice. There is "safe" ice if you look hard enough on the snaller lakes and/or bays of larger lakes. I was fishing in a bay today with 4-5 inches of ice. Two other potables were out there, as well.

About an inch of snow is on the ice, so its hard to tell where the safe ice ends, and the thin ice begins.

Most lakes are completly covered in the Grand Rapids area now. Some smaller lakes have 5-6" around edges with 2" in the middle of these lakes. While some of the deeper lakes have 1". Be careful and have fun. Went spearing on small lake today.

Kyle

Quote:

Does anyone know the ice condition of bald eagle lake in white bear? I'm coming home from college the 18th and im hoping to do some fishing there.

Lets put it this way...If you have a boat you should be able to do some fishing. I highly doubt there will be any fishable ice by the 18th. I did get out once on silver lake in north st paul on the south end of the lake just out from the beach in a bay. There was about 4-5 inches of ice, but I didn't catch anything.It was still nice to get out there though.

blk94fiveoh, when were you out on Silver? There are a few St. Paul lakes I've been watching that don't even have two inches yet & lots of open water, it'd be nice to see Silver is starting to lock up even in this heat wave.

Bemidji area ice report, 12-8

All of the smaller lakes are frozen with a solid 5+" of ice. People are walking on almost all of them, and some are 4-wheeler accessible now. Lake Bemidji has people on it as well, the East side of the lake is supporting people despite the fact that the lake is not completely frozen over.

The fishing has been great when we've gotten out. A lot of small fish to start the year, but yesterday we had a pannie festival with a few 'gills topping 9 inches.

If you're looking for ice, here it is, come on up, but bring some spikes, picks, and a spud!!

Quote:

blk94fiveoh, when were you out on Silver? There are a few St. Paul lakes I've been watching that don't even have two inches yet & lots of open water, it'd be nice to see Silver is starting to lock up even in this heat wave.

I was out there on sunday night. The whole lake isn't safe to walk on yet, although it is just about locked up. I was only able to fish an 8 foot hole just out from the beach on the south side of the lake. I havn' checked the thickness since sunday, but there was a solid 4-5 inches in the bay that I mentioned. The north side of the lake only had 1-2" and didn't look safe at all.

Thanks on the Brainerd, Bemidji and Baldy reports, since the weather is so nice and the boat is winterized I just want to know WHO put gas in there auger and started it, to Jinx the cold weather and send it packing, Now I have to watch John say, Get the Fabrill, Geez. 2 wks and its Xmas week. Guy on TV says Mille lacs was a miracle by Xmas, I'd say the way it looked, it will be a miracle to drive by 15th of Jan 2005.

A friend and I were out on little green on Tuesday. The ice is by no means safe to walk on, though there were a couple of tracks heading out from the road. Where we were fishing, there was between 1 1/2"-3" of ice, but the rest of the lake had spots of open water, and very thin ice. I checked out all of little green and wouldn't recommend anyone go out there until we get a hard freeze, period! Green is still open, and I heard someone went through on the west bay earlier this week.

While out we caught mostly small panfish with one 11 1/2" crappie that was eventually thrown back. Pictures at http://hovermn.com/oblio/winterfishing.html

When oh when will the ice thicken up?! This is crazy!

Dave

hovermn.com