• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Current Ice Report

Rick

Ryan is there any ice yet on the Red West side of Selkirk Park, or across to the East at the outlet stream from the power plant?

I did hear they were catching walleye on the ice at Lake Dauphin. Have you been over that way yet?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a drive today to check on ice conditions...got out around Otter Tail and Dent. Most of the larger lakes (Otter Tail, Star, the McDonald lakes, Marion) are all open. Some of the smaller lakes (Round, Buchanan) have ice and might be decent for walking by next weekend, given the forecast. The Pine lakes by Perham are also open...

Also got north by Menahga (just south of Park Rapids), and talked to a couple guys coming off of Twin Lakes. They said that there was about 1.5" a ways out (around 3" closer to shore)...again, most of the smaller lakes around there (Spirit, Stocking) were frozen over. Given the forecast, those smaller lakes that are froze over now should have walkable ice in places by next weekend.

Quote:

ghotierman, How are the ice conditions in the Alex area? Are the smaller lakes west of Alex froze over yet? Did you get any snow up there? Hope to make it up there in the next week or two.

Quote:

went out and checked a few lakes. north end of pocket is froze over with a strip down the middle with the south end open. mary is open on north end, but froze over on about the south third of the lake.

come back past the access on victoria to see whats up and it seems a small beaver has started to build a new home around and under the fishing pier. looks like he/she has about a day or two worth of work in to it already.

no ice to speak of though.

south latoka was still open but nelson looked like it pretty well covered.

jim

abouve report is from the alex area. \

was out yesterday scouting a few other lakes and all the larger lakes seem to be opened back up from the wind. wind around here has been relentless 10-20 mph and is keeping the lakes from doing anything.

jim

Kabetogama and Namakan are stll basically wide open. Very little shoreline ice, when it does develope, the sun and or wind take it out. Sorry to say Dec. 1st looks out the question. Hopefully it will skim over and freeze by next weekend. Lots of little lakes around us have an ice cover so it shouldn't be long. guts

Still waiting for good ice here in the Nisswa area. There is some spotty ice but not real good yet. North Long and Round have both had some ice cover but there has been open water along with it. Gull is still wide open with the exception of some small bays and backwaters. No angling activity on the hardwater just yet. We'll keep you updated on the changing conditions.

Jason Erlandson

Pitbull, here in Duluth it's just starting to ice up near the big lake. (Keeps it warm around here in the winter) If you get away from the lake some of the smaller lakes have had reports of up to 3", this weekend should be good for the smaller stuff. Keep your eye on the BWCA-Duluth-Range forum for more info.

ya i dont think the metro will be good that soon - close but not good enough. spring lake (south of prior) had a sheet across the shallow end of the lake but the wind took care of that over night. still some on the very south end of the lake but thats it. could not even plave a foot on it yet as of this morning. need a few more cold still nights.

Mississippi River backwaters at Wabasha are still not good enough to trust. There is widespread ice in most areas along the dike road, but there is widespread water as well. The harbor in Wabasha has ice, but there too it is not ready for even foot traffic. I stopped along one spot with little current and I could punch my heel thru with little effort.

Lake Pepin's water temp was still at 38 degrees the other day and the river and backwaters will not be far off that mark until one gets down in the area of Buffalo Slough. Water temps at Alma were at 34, so the backwaters below the dam are likely in far better condition than above. I was not able to swing the trip below Wabasha to check West Newton or Wilcox, but would bet that in a day or so they'll be fishable if not already.

Kabetogama, has some ice, I was just down on Tom Cod Bay shoreline and the bay is iced over well with two good cold days coming on strong. Sandy Point and Red Pine both plan on having houses out Thurs or Fri., meaning ice might be good if you use caution. Tom Cod, Duck, Moxie, and Irwin are the usual bays with first and best ice. Good luck, guts