• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Random Daily Pics

3 minutes ago, Canon Guy said:

Those lakes produce some nice fish. It has been 20 years, but I used to fish Calhoun a lot. 

Yes they do.  I fished Calhoun a lot also in the 90’s.  My grandpa used to WAY back in the day for pike.  I’ve only seen the B&W pic once but he had 3 huge pike on a stringer and the writing on the back said 100 pounds.  Were they really that heavy?  No way for me to tell but they WERE huge.  He lived in St. Louis Park at the time when the creosote plant was there.  I don’t know if you have any knowledge of that place.

Three fish averaging over 30 lbs. surprises me, but who am I to say there were not some that big in there at one time? When I started fishing the lake around 1980 it was not unusual to see a shore fisherman pull in one that was 15 lbs. 

Yes, Republic Creosote left a terrible mess behind. Who knows what the real health implications have been? 

Edited by Canon Guy

14 hours ago, Canon Guy said:

Three fish averaging over 30 lbs. surprises me, but who am I to say there were not some that big in there at one time? When I started fishing the lake around 1980 it was not unusual to see a shore fisherman pull in one that was 15 lbs. 

Yes, Republic Creosote left a terrible mess behind. Who knows what the real health implications have been? 

Oh shoot, it was probably in the 50’s maybe 60’s at the latest.  He was a devout pike fisherman that had 8 kids to feed.  Yah, it would be pretty incredible if they were all that big.  When I saw the pic I was too young to judge with any accuracy.

No idea what the health implications were but the family of 10 is half gone now and none perished from anything traceable to the plant they lived less than 1 block from.  I’m sure it had to be an expensive mess to remediate that site.