• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help! What Is This Weed?

Hawg

This stuff is taking over the woods by me and appearing in yards all over, mine included. It grows to about 3 feet tall unchecked and it's super dense and thick. Easy roots to pull if i could get the National Guard to help with it. Weed b Gon Max doesn't touch it and I bought some chickweed, clover and Oxalis killer Ortho put out and got zero results, in fact it looked healthier like I watered it. I sure thought it was chickweed but there's a bunch of different weeds that look the same. The small flowers are yellow but I have seen white on some also. Anybody know what it is? 

Chickweed 2.JPG

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

Leaves an flowers both look different do they not?

My wife is more the gardener than me. She says that's what her father called that brushy looking weed..

I've been searching with little luck for products with aminopyralid in it, which is the control for creeping buttercup, in smaller packaging than Milestone. That stuff is only in 32 oz. jugs at about $350 and I wouldn't use that much in 4 lifetimes. I have an appointment this morning but will search more this afternoon unless anyone know of any. It sure raises heck with contaminated manure spread on fields or gardens but that's not a concern for me. This stuff looks a lot like black medic too. There are a lot of similar looking weeds. Thank you.

4 hours ago, snagfinder said:

Go to farm store get some 2-4-d probably 25 bucks a gallon. Only need to mix 2oz to gallon, I like more like 4 oz. It will kill it and wont hurt the grass underneath.

He already said that 2-4-d doesn't work.  Round-up might work in an appropriate situation.

extension might be best bet for identification and maybe even treatment suggestions. After all there seem to be bunches of pesticides that work on various problems without getting on the average dude's radar screen.  

I agree with Del, Roundup is extremely effective. I spray a back lot line fence, in and around front flower/Bush garden, edge of shed etc. twice annual - areas hard to weed whip & I hate constant pulling green weeds. You can get a gallon of "Ready to Use" for $12, no mixing required. I use a pump hand sprayer, spray the leaves which turn yellow in 4 to 5 days and brown flat on the ground in a couple weeks. Following year you can er-seed grass.

Minnesota Extension says it is Chelidonium majus. I still have a doubt, but they are the authority. They say Creeping buttercup has 5 petals and black medic has a completely different flower structure. I have done a ton of research and found no killer but roundup. It has to be pulled in a yard .?!?

On 8/4/2019 at 7:13 AM, Hawg said:

Minnesota Extension says it is Chelidonium majus. I still have a doubt, but they are the authority. They say Creeping buttercup has 5 petals and black medic has a completely different flower structure. I have done a ton of research and found no killer but roundup. It has to be pulled in a yard .?!?

I just seen an ad in the fleet farm flyer for a weed killer made by roundup that doesn't kill the grass. that's what I would be trying!!!!!

On 8/4/2019 at 7:13 AM, Hawg said:

Chelidonium majus

That's it.  Thank you.  It is taking over our flower beds and landscaping.  My granola crunching neighbor introduced it with all other kinds of out-of-control stuff and is now moving because it is "too much work to maintain."  I asked them about this plant and they said, "it pulls pretty easily," which it does.  

Sharing a wikipedia link here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelidonium_majus

I have not tried to treat with herbicide, but the plant looks like the herbicide would bead up and drip right off due to the waxy coating on the leaves.  You may want to try adding Spreader-Sticker to the mix to get the herbicide to stick better.

Edited by Hoey
Added info

Amine 400 at fleet farm works well. I hadn't sprayed my yard in 5 years and had a variety of weeds spread out. I sprayed my yard Saturday morning and it knocked down everything including the little bit of creeping charlie which surprised me at this time of year.

.5%  dilution worked for me. 

4 teaspoons per gallon of water

I can confirm that Glyhosphate looks like it will kill it, non-selectively.  Sprayed some last weekend, checked them last night, and the plants are browning up and drooping.    

Finally got to someone that does this for a living and well respected. Triclopyr at 16% with 34% 2-4-d is in a readily available product called Crossbow. He highly recommends it. Spot treat the weeds not the whole lawn. Weed b Gon max works great on the rest of the weeds. 

Edited by Hawg