• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opening Day

Abndoc

Well we are few short days away from our favorite season...Who will be heading out opening day?  Looks the temps are going to be warm all week, I'm going to head out opening morning to my favorite spot in WIS, just to get that feeling.  We moved back to Minnesota this year and have our own paradise in Isanti on the Rum.  My family is looking forward to hunting our own land this year!! My son took a beautiful tom off it this spring! We have a huge herd of does and fawns living on it with some nice bucks just starting to show up. Should be exciting come the rut!

Taking my 15 year old to Montana for Rifle Elk/Deer combo at the end of Oct.  Should be a great fall!! Good luck to everyone and stay safe!

Good Luck to both of you! Cant wait to hear about your trips!  I'm jealous!  Last year was my first trip out west chasing elk.  We had a blast- something so special about being in those mountains hunting!   Learned a ton last year, hopefully even more this year.  I think my son has been packed for 2 months!  Stay safe, have fun!

I was supposed to be going out this weekend with my buddy but he to tend to some family health stuff.  I was planning to just go alone but something about hunting opener by yourself doesn't feel right, its supposed to be shared.  Instead I think we're hunting the 2nd and 3rd weekends. 

planning on heading out saturday morning/evening and sunday evening on some local public land. Hope to see a doe or 2 atleast saturday, then head to a buck stand sunday. 

nofish, I know what you mean, the first couple years after college, it was tough for me to get motivation to go out since most of my buddies live further away and or quit bowhunting in general. Still not the same when I go by myself, just have to wait for my son to get another year or 2 older so he can keep up with the scouting work

On 9/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, Cheetah said:

No Wisconsin opener for me this year.  I'll be heading west to Montana later this week for elk and deer.  

I'm supposed to be leaving Thursday evening for the Missoula area. Came down with a skin infection on the elbow. Dr is saying 3 day stay in the hospital,I told him I'm walking out the door Thursday by noon ?

On 9/11/2018 at 10:43 AM, nofishfisherman said:

I was supposed to be going out this weekend with my buddy but he to tend to some family health stuff.  I was planning to just go alone but something about hunting opener by yourself doesn't feel right, its supposed to be shared.  Instead I think we're hunting the 2nd and 3rd weekends. 

Hunting archery season solo is all I know. Just go hunt. If you have the time, use it wisely. You never know when life throws a curve ball and your hunting time gets slashed. 

Good luck to everyone! Especially those of you lucky enough to be going out west! 

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

16 hours ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

Hunting archery season solo is all I know. Just go hunt. If you have the time, use it wisely. You never know when life throws a curve ball and your hunting time gets slashed. 

Good luck to everyone! Especially those of you lucky enough to be going out west! 

My buddy bailing was only one factor that led me to staying home this weekend.  The warm temps were another and I've also got some other commitments that I opted not to skip.  my consolation is that I'll be hunting the next 2 weekends.  Next weekend I'm going solo and the following my buddy will be with me.  Typically archery season I hunt by myself at least 75% of the time.  I don't mind it, sometimes actually prefer it.  However, my buddy hasn't had a ton of time in the woods the last few years so I'm excited to be able to log more hours with him  this season. 

The first time in at least 15+ years I did not go out. My son is out in the woods somewhere around our house, he texted and hasn’t seen anything yet. Warm temps, mosquitoes and a beautiful bride in my bed I haven’t seen much of lately due to traveling for work made an easy decision for me. I hear pots and pans rattling in the kitchen, all the rest of the kids still sleeping. Her and I get to have a nice breakfast alone looking out at the marsh behind our house. It’s a beautiful day! Good luck to everyone out for opener and everyone out on a mountain somewhere listening to that beautiful bugle!! I will be out tomorrow morning!