• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

"Post Your Thoughts" - Share a wee bit and Help, please...

Because you want others to share great outdoor information with you!!!! Share what you 'love about your area' in the outdoors.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please.'

Have Fun!!!

JBMasterAngler

Hotdogs for Pike

So this is apparently becoming a thing. I haven’t had much tip up success with sucker minnows the last couple seasons, so I’m willing to try it. Just out of curiosity, are we talking about the all beef franks, or the processed stuff? I have a couple planned tullibee trips to Mille Lacs in March, and since the pike season still runs through most of the month, I might give them a shot for part of the day.

Not sure where your fishing at, but northern pike fishing ended Feb 25th for the season in Minnesota.

16 minutes ago, Heft said:

Not sure where your fishing at, but northern pike fishing ended Feb 25th for the season in Minnesota.

He specifically mentioned he was fishing Mille Lacs and the season for pike on ML goes through March 25th.

I did not know that. I might just have to grab some hotdogs and come join you. Thanks

1 hour ago, JBMasterAngler said:

So this is apparently becoming a thing. I haven’t had much tip up success with sucker minnows the last couple seasons, so I’m willing to try it. Just out of curiosity, are we talking about the all beef franks, or the processed stuff? I have a couple planned tullibee trips to Mille Lacs in March, and since the pike season still runs through most of the month, I might give them a shot for part of the day.

Wow, that one is new to me, lol! I've never liked suckers nearly as much as I like a big golden shiner or a creek chub, but I googled "hot dogs for pike" and found this comment, for what it's worth:

By far the best hotdog to use is also one of the cheapest   Bar-S brand.  Not the jumbo ones, just the regular ones as they are easier to set the hook through. use a treble hook.  Take the treble hook off the leader and push the eye of the treble hook through the hot dog and then reattach the treble hook to your leader.  the hotdog should have one or more points of the treble hook in it when it is hooked up right.   Basically you are using the bend of the treble hook to support the hotdog and the points are somewhat buried in the hotdog.  

We use 1/2 a dog, and either lay it on the bottom with a slip sinker or use it with a bobber.  Either way works, just depends on the time of the day and where the pike are cruising.

44 minutes ago, Heft said:

I did not know that. I might just have to grab some hotdogs and come join you. Thanks

If you want bigger and better quality fish don't go cheap. Use a good Smoked German brat! ;)

Creek chubs are definitely the best! Haven’t always been available in winter though. Anyway, might as well bring my Coleman grill with on this one. Thanks for the rigging tips.

3 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

He specifically mentioned he was fishing Mille Lacs and the season for pike on ML goes through March 25th.

I didn't know that. Why is that? Are there other lakes with a longer Northern Pike season?

When the crappie bite was still hot on Upper Red 10 to 12 years ago it was common to use cheap hot dogs under tip ups for northerns. I think it was a bait shop in Black Duck that sold a harness that held the dog in a horizontal position.

14 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

Trying to thin them out is my guess.  The limit is like 5.

Looks like there's an earn-a-pike regulation too....

Northern Pike: The possession limit for northern pike is five, with only one greater than or equal to 30". Two northern pike less than 30" must be in immediate possession (taken the same day from Mille Lacs) before harvesting one greater than or equal to 30". The winter angling season is open through March 25, 2018. Spearing season is open through February 25, 2018.

About 25 years ago I was trying hot dogs on lake Minnetonka.  I know they work but I never got into a good bite with em so I didn’t stick with it.

Never had any problem keeping them on a hook.  The cheap bologna types too.  They have the most smell and oil.  I’ve seen them fished on quickstrikes hung vertically or you can lay them on the bottom with any hook. 

12 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I didn't know that. Why is that? Are there other lakes with a longer Northern Pike season?

From what I understand its basically what Bobby said.  My guess they are trying to eliminate some of the predator fish and increase quality of pike at the same time.  It may have also been the DNR throwing a bone to resorts offering them options for when walleye season is closed.  

3 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

From what I understand its basically what Bobby said.  My guess they are trying to eliminate some of the predator fish and increase quality of pike at the same time.  It may have also been the DNR throwing a bone to resorts offering them options for when walleye season is closed.  

@Duffman, Sillytown pike fishing gathering on Mille Lacs in March? :D

21 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

@Duffman, Sillytown pike fishing gathering on Mille Lacs in March? :D

hey i d do that!!!!!!!!!!!

and for the record our group got a 12 1/2 lber on a john morrell wiener this past weekend...............and i aintz talk'ing!!!!!