• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's on the grill

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

generally speaking most pork loins now days are pre injected..  and that is some thing most people do not realize....  I'm not saying yours was..

Not if you buy fresh cut chops from a local butcher shop. That being said, I do like to brine pork chops.

10 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Not if you buy fresh cut chops from a local butcher shop. That being said, I do like to brine pork chops.

again Dave that depends on if they butcher the pigs or ship them in...  but I understand what you are saying..  

53 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

again Dave that depends on if they butcher the pigs or ship them in...  but I understand what you are saying..  

That's why I said "fresh cut". The butcher shop I go to sells locally raised pork they slaughter themselves. 

Ok so it wasn't a fresh cut pork loin so it was probably injected. My response to bobberineyes was that I didn't inject it with anything. I'll look at the package next time to see what all was added. Sorry for the confusion!

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

That's why I said "fresh cut". The butcher shop I go to sells locally raised pork they slaughter themselves. 

is that Belle Plane?

27 minutes ago, chaffmj said:

Ok so it wasn't a fresh cut pork loin so it was probably injected. My response to bobberineyes was that I didn't inject it with anything. I'll look at the package next time to see what all was added. Sorry for the confusion!

and you are good chaffmj,  me and Dave are just bantering..  he makes good points..  I used to be the inspector there at one time, it is in fact Belle Plaine..  we are enjoying good food and that's what is about no matter what smurfy says!!!  ??

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

is that Belle Plane?

and you are good chaffmj,  me and Dave are just bantering..  he makes good points..  I used to be the inspector there at one time, it is in fact Belle Plaine..  we are enjoying good food and that's what is about no matter what smurfy says!!!  ??

HA...…….I've tried the packaged ones you get in the stores. there OK, but nuttin beats the seasoned rolled pork loins we order from the meat market in Richmond...Plantenbergs. but they do there own butchering.

3 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

is that Belle Plane?

Yes

3 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

I'm not arguing, just stating that meat doesn't have to be purchased from a big box store or come from a national slaughterhouse. Lots of small town butcher shops slaughter locally raised pork and beef. 

Mike89, how long ago were you the inspector in that shop? Are you USDA or State of MN?

Yes

I'm not arguing, just stating that meat doesn't have to be purchased from a big box store or come from a national slaughterhouse. Lots of small town butcher shops slaughter locally raised pork and beef. 

Mike89, how long ago were you the inspector in that shop? Are you USDA or State of MN?

I was USDA, Greg G. and his wife owned then..  I was there in the early 90's...  and you are 100% correct, but you would be surprised how many do not know that...  that is why I do not have just one go to place to purchase different cuts of meat and processed products...  that was a darn good plant back then and I'm sure it still is...  

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

HA...…….I've tried the packaged ones you get in the stores. there OK, but nuttin beats the seasoned rolled pork loins we order from the meat market in Richmond...Plantenbergs. but they do there own butchering.

never been to that plant so can't say any thing about it...  might have a to make bike ride there this summer and check it out...  

18 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

If the local butcher is buying box pork, maybe.  Ask to be sure.   

6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I was USDA, Greg G. and his wife owned then..  I was there in the early 90's...  and you are 100% correct, but you would be surprised how many do not know that...  that is why I do not have just one go to place to purchase different cuts of meat and processed products...  that was a darn good plant back then and I'm sure it still is...  

That was 2 owners ago. Greg was a good guy but he might have been hard for an inspector to deal with. He had a cabin up near Battle Lake that he used to let me use it when he was not using it. Now he built a house on the property and lives up there.

The main person who owns it now used to be a co-worker of mine back in my grocery store days. I've been friends with him for probably over 25 years. That plant is now state inspected instead of federal.

6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

never been to that plant so can't say any thing about it...  might have a to make bike ride there this summer and check it out...  

I've been to that one a couple of times. They have some good stuff too.

50 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Still do. Are you talking about the rope or links?

links, and I loved them!!  question, does your wife's name start with the letter S???  and as for Greg and I we got along as long as he followed the rules...  

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

links, and I loved them!! 

They are good. Greg had 2 kinds and one of them had sage. The new owners rarely make the sage links but those were my favorite.

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

question, does your wife's name start with the letter S??? 

Yes, do we know you?

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

and as for Greg and I we got along as long as he followed the rules...  

?

I could go on here and have fun with this BigDave2, but I will be fair here...  first one more question..  were grilling wieners, many years ago, one day and suddenly they changed to a different kind when you stepped away and came back???  

11 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

They are good. Greg had 2 kinds and one of them had sage. The new owners rarely make the sage links but those were my favorite.

Yes, do we know you?

?

no we have never met as far as I know...  but Greg and I have been friends since we met at his plant..  and then we became co-workers when he became a federal food inspector...    and my thoughts are I'd still like to meet you someday if the chance comes along!!!  and next time ya buy a key for your wife's birthday don't drink it the day before!!!!!   

52 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

no we have never met as far as I know...  but Greg and I have been friends since we met at his plant..  and then we became co-workers when he became a federal food inspector...    and my thoughts are I'd still like to meet you someday if the chance comes along!!!  and next time ya buy a key for your wife's birthday don't drink it the day before!!!!!   

I've met Dave before on the ice. he cant fish worth a darn!!!!!!? but a real good guy regardless of what some here think!!!!!!?

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

Ha! The keg was for Independence day and that was a long time ago!

Let me know if you swing through the area some time, there's always beer in my garage fridge and I can introduce you to the new owners.

I have actually been helping them out one or two days a week since my business is slow and thiers is busier than normal. I am watching the counter as we speak this morning while the guys are slaughtering 16 hogs. I help them break down and cut up pigs on Wednesday usually.

Do you still talk to Greg?

Ha! The keg was for Independence day and that was a long time ago!

Let me know if you swing through the area some time, there's always beer in my garage fridge and I can introduce you to the new owners.

I have actually been helping them out one or two days a week since my business is slow and thiers is busier than normal. I am watching the counter as we speak this morning while the guys are slaughtering 16 hogs. I help them break down and cut up pigs on Wednesday usually.

Do you still talk to Greg?

I will do that!!!  and yes Greg and I still talk!!!  dang good feller!!!!  cold beer is always good!!!!

5 hours ago, snagfinder said:

You should ask if they will sell unprocessed half hogs again yet. I tried this winter and it was a no go. Sucked having to go else where since the are only like 3 blocks from me.

What do you mean by unprocessed? Just killed and halved? The only reason I could think would be that they would have a half hog to get rid of all the cuts. Or did they give you a different reason?