• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breaking the Mental Barrier

TylerS

So last year I shot, and lost, a nice butterball buck. Not a trophy by any means, but I shot it with my bow and it was going to fill the freezer (which makes it extra special in my eyes). 

Setup was great: seated on the ground, 15 yards broadside, head turned, all the time in the world. 

To back up a bit, I'm a gun hunter first, so when I didn't get drawn for a rifle tag, I quickly bought an OTC archery tag and decided to head out for rifle opener anyway (family tradition, couldn't let the guys down). In preparation for this, I practiced religiously out to 40 yards, every day of the week, in all conditions, sitting, standing and crouching. I was proficient. My bow was tuned. Confidence was high. 

Plus, I'd tagged my first deer ever the year before with a bow on a pretty difficult shot. So really, I figured if the opportunity presented itself I would be good to go. 

Fast forward to the aforementioned situation: buck, broadside, 15 yards, looking away. Take a breath, release, pass through. 

But the shot didn't feel good. I have no idea what I did...really, I was in the open on the ground and totally free and clear to shoot...but for some reason that arrow just felt off. And it shouldn't' have! Shot I'd made 1,000 times over the summer. Long story short, the arrow went left of where I aimed, gutshot the buck, and I never recovered it. Still makes me sick to think about it.

I'd sworn off bow hunting after that. Honestly, at 15 yards with a .30-06, even if I'd pulled the shot that deer would have rolled over and died right there. But those darn arrows! There is no margin for error. None. 

Yet, here I am. Ready to try it again for some reason. But I just can't shake that awful feeling it could happen again. I've been practicing over the summer. Doing everything I did before. I even talked to some archery guys who said I had "target panic." I really didn't feel panicked! Maybe that's just a term? I've had buck fever before, and this definitely wasn't that. I was oddly calm. Just letting things happen. 

So, what do you guys do to break through these mental games? Or is it a physical thing? I've read that maybe the release I"m using (don't know the term, I pull it like a gun trigger) is prone to "punching" on the shot sometimes. 

I dunno. Looking for advice. Really want to avoid repeating the nightmare that was 2014. 

Thanks!

I think the best way to get over it is to get back "on the horse" and shoot again when the time comes!  One thing I have learned from the past 8+ years that I have been on these threads is that if you archery hunt you will lose a deer eventually, and it will (or should) always sting a little, but that is part of the game unfortunately!!  Good Luck and know there are many that have a similar story as you and the experience just grows you as a hunter.

The fact that you felt calm and didn't have any issues getting the pin on target leads me to believe it wasn't target panic. Sounds like you practiced enough to be "automatic" or on auto pilot at the shot. Were you surprised at the release? It almost sounds like a bow torque issue. 

Tough as as it is, try to shake it off and get back out there. No one likes wounding, but it happens. 

Going back out and getting after it again is about all you can do.  Sounds like you've done all the right things to make sure that you are equipped to make the next shot.  You just have to move on and forget about the last shot.

I'm very new to bow hunting but I've noticed that when at the range my first 5 arrows aren't as consistent as my next 20-30.  I can put arrow 6-30 into a 2-3 inch circle at 30 yards but arrows 1-5 will be more inconsistent.  I attribute it to getting warmed up and getting back into the groove of how the shot should feel.  If you have not done so in the past maybe set out a block target and take a few warm up shoots before heading to the stand to help get warmed up and refresh that muscle memory. It may also give you that confidence boost knowing you already made the same shot multiple times earlier that day.

I don't bow hunt, but I had never missed a deer with a rifle in the 24 years I had been hunting. Two years ago I took a clean shot at a buck, tracked it all afternoon and never could find it. Was sick about it and didn't know how I would react the next time. Last year I got another opportunity and didn't miss. 

It's a good thing it was so upsetting to you - it should be to wound one and not be able to retrieve it. But if you're that upset about it and put in the extra work, I'm sure you'll be fine the next time. Like others have said, you just need to get back on the horse.

All summer I practice out to 50 yards and feel good about that shot. Now, since the season has started, I shoot everyday at 10 yards, just shoot 8 arrows at a blank target just focusing on per FORM!!! Every shot I say, "GRIP, NOSE, SHOULDER" this helps me get my grip right, have the string touching my noise, and pull through the shot to my shoulder.

Any number of things could have caused your arrow to go astray.  Do you use an armguard?  Do you wear gloves when practicing AND hunting? Sounds like you practice in hunting conditions, but do you wear the same clothes for practice that you hunt in? All this could cause a poorly placed arrow.  On the other hand, stuff happens.  

Like already mentioned, getting back out there and putting the next few deer on the ground without an issue is the best way to get over it.

As an after thought, learning how to follow up a poorly hit deer may have resulted in a better outcome.  If you KNOW you hit guts, the only real option is to back out quietly and let him sit for 6 or 8 hours, or overnight before following blood.  Chances are, he will be withing 100 yards of the shot.

Good luck!

Edited by DonBo

Any number of things could have caused your arrow to go astray.  Do you use an armguard?  Do you wear gloves when practicing AND hunting? Sounds like you practice in hunting conditions, but do you wear the same clothes for practice that you hunt in? All this could cause a poorly placed arrow.  On the other hand, stuff happens.  

Like already mentioned, getting back out there and putting the next few deer on the ground without an issue is the best way to get over it.

As an after thought, learning how to follow up a poorly hit deer may have resulted in a better outcome.  If you KNOW you hit guts, the only real option is to back out quietly and let him sit for 6 or 8 hours, or overnight before following blood.  Chances are, he will be withing 100 yards of the shot.

Good luck!

I sort of went nuts practicing different scenarios...wearing different clothing. I even waited for some heavy rain so I could practice being drenches. I did my due diligence. 

As for following up the shot, there was nothing to follow up on. I found a single speck of blood about 20 yards from the point of impact and that was it other than a bloody/gutty arrow. My uncles and I searched for three hours and never found any other sign. 

That stinks, Tyler.  To follow up on DonBo's comments- it's not so much the "how" in how you followed up, it's the "when"-- when did you try track the deer?  Like he said, waiting a minimum of 8 hours on a shot like that is crucial.  I've made the mistake of following a poorly hit deer before and I was dang lucky to have a good outcome.  I'm not trying to be critical here, just agreeing with Don regarding learning from the bad outcome.

As far as the idea of no margin for error with an arrow- I have to disagree.  There's no doubt an arrow is not a 30-06 bullet, but in fact there's lots of room for error.  Two things- the vitals of a deer are relatively large.  For you to miss the completely and totally at 15 yards broadside on an unaware deer means something went pretty seriously wrong.  Whatever went wrong must have happened with your equipment or between your ears or both.  I have no idea what happened- no clue if you got buck fever and made a really bad shot because of it, hit your arm with your string, torqued your bow, etc.  However, there's lots of room for error within the vitals of a deer- you can make a pretty bad shot at that distance under those circumstances and still hit heart/lungs.  Also, lots and lots of deer hit outside of the perfect 10 ring are recovered.  Especially when I was younger I made plenty of mediocre shots and recovered the deer.  Most of those recoveries were thanks to my dad and him knowing when to back out and the fact that he's an unbelievable tracker.   

Honestly, I have no idea what happened on your shot and it's a bummer you lost the buck.  I've only had it happen a couple times in 33 years of bow hunting, but I can tell you it sure stuck with me when it did.  It REALLY bothered me and in fact still does.  I hope you can get it figured out and make good on an opportunity this year.  Good luck!

As for following up the shot, there was nothing to follow up on. I found a single speck of blood about 20 yards from the point of impact and that was it other than a bloody/gutty arrow. My uncles and I searched for three hours and never found any other sign. 

Not dissing you, just trying to educate. If that follow up was sooner than several hours after the shot, you very likely spooked him, as he was probably laying not too far away. Anytime you spook a gut shot deer, the chances of you finding them goes WAY down.   If you had waited till the following morning, chances are way better that you may have had a better outcome. Live and learn.

BTW, waiting that long to follow a blood trail is extremely difficult to swallow.

I had another thought on this that wasn't mentioned yet, is it possible that you pulled your head out of your follow through to see where the arrow hit?  I did this on the first deer I shot with my bow, it was a small buck at 20 yards broadside and right after I hit the release (maybe at the same time, I hit the release) I moved my bow so I could see where the arrow hit, that was enough to hit the deer in the hind quarters....  I did hit the artery back there and recovered the deer, but I was shocked that it hit that far back when I was sure I was aiming right behind the front shoulder.  Now when ever I'm practicing or hunting I try to keep the pin on the target until I hear the hit.  For me everything happens so fast that it's hard to remember what I did or didn't do when it's all over.  I hit a Doe opening morning my arrow hit the 2nd to last rib did a 90 and deflected into her rear leg, so no pass through I had a couple of drops of blood for 30 yards and nothing after that.  I waited several hours and started grid searching but never found anything else not even my arrow (I was shooting lighted nocks and even went out it the dark to see if I could see the nock glowing).  I never did find her deer, then to make it worst a week later I caught the land owners dog in the middle of the night carrying a deer leg past my trail camera..  Was it the deer I lost, I don't know but sucked to loose it.

To answer some questions and for clarification: 

• I was on the ground, so about 30 minutes after I shot the deer, I simply stood up, walked over to where the deer was hit, and found my arrow. It was definitely not a good looking arrow. Had some dark blood (liver) as well as bubbles (lung?) and lots of gooey stomach contents. 
  • I didn't wait long, maybe an hour, but I didn't start blazing through the cover like a maniac. As I said, I couldn't find blood. Period. I spent probably 45 minutes making concentric circles by the point of impact. It took me that long to even get over the hill that was 60 yards away (and where the deer ran). Plus, people are walking all over the place. If that deer bedded, it had just as well of a chance getting bumped by other hunters as it did me. 
  • This is public land in a highly used area of North Dakota. I saw (conservatively) 20 hunters the first half day of the season (rifle opener begins at noon) and that was just from my little area. Had two hunters walk right by me at about 3 p.m.. Leaving a deer for 8 hours or over night is out of the question. I've nearly gotten into fisticuffs with hunters in the past because the deer I shot (which I knocked over with my gun and saw clearly from the time I shot it until it fell) they thought was theirs. It's unreal. People get crazy over horns. What can ya say?
  • Musky, it's entirely possible I pulled my head off. As often happens when I shoot an animal, time sort of slows. I clearly remember looking at the deer. It stopped broadside, then turned it's head away from me. I drew my bow, anchored, set the pin on it's front shoulder, and touched the release. The arrow hit left. That's all I know. It zipped through and laid right next to where the buck was standing. 

I'm not trying to downplay anyone's advice here. After all, that's what I came for. Certainly, this year if the same scenario plays out I will try to give the deer as much time as possible. Again, that's difficult with such a high-traffic area. But I'll do whatever I can. 

I guess if anything I'll just aim a bit more forward!

At this point its all second guessing.  All you can do is make the best decision you can at that moment and based on all the factors you did.  Things can and do go wrong and with how the time and our senses can be distorted during the moment you have your sights pinned on a deer it can be very hard to narrow down the exact mistake or malfunction.

You've put in the time practicing so now its just a matter of getting back on the horse.  I'm not sure I'd change anything from your normal routine when it comes to aiming more forward on the deer.  Just put the pin where you want the arrow to go and make the best possible shot you can.  Let the rest fall into place.

As far as the idea of no margin for error with an arrow- I have to disagree.  There's no doubt an arrow is not a 30-06 bullet, but in fact there's lots of room for error.  Two things- the vitals of a deer are relatively large.  For you to miss the completely and totally at 15 yards broadside on an unaware deer means something went pretty seriously wrong.  Whatever went wrong must have happened with your equipment or between your ears or both.  I have no idea what happened- no clue if you got buck fever and made a really bad shot because of it, hit your arm with your string, torqued your bow, etc.  However, there's lots of room for error within the vitals of a deer- you can make a pretty bad shot at that distance under those circumstances and still hit heart/lungs.  Also, lots and lots of deer hit outside of the perfect 10 ring are recovered.  Especially when I was younger I made plenty of mediocre shots and recovered the deer.  Most of those recoveries were thanks to my dad and him knowing when to back out and the fact that he's an unbelievable tracker.   

The first deer I shot with a bow I'm pretty sure I nicked or sliced every single organ in it's body (hyperbole, but hear me out). It was a stupid shot to take, but I was excited. Came in and stood quartering toward me at 25 yards. I put the pin on it's chest and shot. The deer did an about-face and ran into the woods. I waited a half hour and then went to look where I hit it. Blood immediately. I then walked a bit into the woods and saw it bedded about 50 yards in. It was still alive. So I crept up to it and shot it again through the vitals. It bolted up and tumbled after a big leap. Died 30 seconds later. 

The first arrow went through the chest/neck, lungs, guts, and imbedded in it's rear quarter just underneath the skin. Literally travelled the length of it's body and through the rear ham and the darn thing was still alive. The second shot was right through the heart. 

That experience was a huge eye opener for me. For one thing, I was amazed at how far an arrow can travel through bone, guts and muscle. My bow is from 2002 and set at 60 pounds, so it's certainly not a barn burner. I was equally amazed at the fact that my arrow did that much damage and the deer still took awhile to expire.

I've taken deer with almost the exact same shot out of a .30-06 and they were dead on the spot. No running. No waiting to bleed out. The concussive damage caused by a firearm is incredible. It's the difference between hitting something with a knife or a hammer. 

I wish I could  have had your dad with me. I consider my uncles good trackers, but they were at a loss. If not for the fact that I recovered a bloody arrow, I think they wouldn't have even believed I hit one in the first place. 

For what it's worth, I don't think I missed the vitals completely. The arrow clearly had some blood with bubbles, which I always heard was sign of a lung shot. 

I'm not sure what to tell you Tyler. Sounds like you took an ill advised shot on one deer and made a poor shot on the other. Making broad sweeping conclusions about how effective an arrow is based on a bad shot and a bad decision doesn't seem logical to me. There's no doubt an arrow isn't a large bore bullet. Expecting the same outcome and employing each the same way is going to lead you down the wrong path. 

I'm not trying to be negative or rude here- just giving honest feedback based on my experience and opinion. If I can help in some way to help you be more likely to have a successful outcome in the future id love to. Let me/us know what info could be of help and we'll try to do so. 

I'm not sure what to tell you Tyler. Sounds like you took an ill advised shot on one deer and made a poor shot on the other. Making broad sweeping conclusions about how effective an arrow is based on a bad shot and a bad decision doesn't seem logical to me. There's no doubt an arrow isn't a large bore bullet. Expecting the same outcome and employing each the same way is going to lead you down the wrong path. 

I'm not trying to be negative or rude here- just giving honest feedback based on my experience and opinion. If I can help in some way to help you be more likely to have a successful outcome in the future id love to. Let me/us know what info could be of help and we'll try to do so. 

You nailed it. Took an ill advised shot on a deer and it died, took the ideal shot on a deer and never recovered it. Life ain't fair and stuff happens. 

I don't expect the same outcome from a bow as I do a gun. Just pointing out the limitations. When I hit the woods with bow in hand this year, I'll just have to make sure I thread the needle a bit closer to the center. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced I was aiming too far back, as well. I think in my mind I always assume the best spot to aim on a deer is the pocket behind the leg. But I should probably just center the front quarter. That way even if I am off to the right or left, I'm still in the vitals. 

It's interesting you mention that- the actual spot to aim on a deer is a lot more debated than I ever imagined!  Some guys say to aim for "the pocket" (behind the leg in the "arm pit" of the deer") and some say much more forward than that.  Back-center of the leg and up is where I aim on a perfectly broadside deer, but I know a guy who's killed a lot more critters than I ever will who aims about 3" forward of that.  That's too far forward for me to not be scared to hit the onside leg bone, but he's sure made it work for him.  Slight quartering away is my favorite- hit them in the front of the opposite side shoulder on the pass-through and all will be good.  One thing to keep in mind on every shot-- pick an exact spot that you're aiming.   "Aim small, miss small" is so true!  Find a spot the size of an eraser head and try run your broadhead right through it. 

Good luck!  I hope you come back in a few weeks with pics of the nice buck you arrowed!

Not sure if this was mentioned yet (long read) but do you practice shooting with your broadheads? Your bow could be shooting bullets with field tips but put some blades on those things and they can change course in a hurry.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet (long read) but do you practice shooting with your broadheads? Your bow could be shooting bullets with field tips but put some blades on those things and they can change course in a hurry.

Ya, I regularly switch between broad heads and field tips. POI is identical. It's the whole part of my routine I've never had to worry about! Lol. 

So, I've been practicing a lot lately, and I notice that my shots consistently are hitting to the left (where I hit that deer). I haven't moved my sights yet because this happened last summer, too. And invariably I'd have to move the sights back after my shots began hitting too far to the right. 

I go through the same routine of grip, draw, anchor and shoot. Up and down are fine, but I just can't consistently keep my left and right. What am I doing? Is it my grip? I keep a relaxed grip, so I shouldn't be torquing my bow at all. 

God...archery is frustrating. 

You're probably right in your thinking it may be your grip. I believe this is usually the issue with left or right groupings.  This time of year especially when most go from shooting without gloves, to shooting with them.  It's why I wear gloves year round while shooting.

When i shoot, I keep an open palm,  not a  relaxed griped, my entire hand is open, I feel if i have just a relaxed grip, Im that much more of micro second quicker to grasp the bow after release thus leading to in accuracy. are u playing  peek a boo, with the arrow, I was guilty of this in the beginning, Didnt realize it but I would acctuly try and look around th bow after release to see the arrow, causing a left or right, generaly right for me variation.  just Ideas to look at. 

When i shoot, I keep an open palm,  not a  relaxed griped, my entire hand is open, I feel if i have just a relaxed grip, Im that much more of micro second quicker to grasp the bow after release thus leading to in accuracy. are u playing  peek a boo, with the arrow, I was guilty of this in the beginning, Didnt realize it but I would acctuly try and look around th bow after release to see the arrow, causing a left or right, generaly right for me variation.  just Ideas to look at. 

Had not considered that. Will go through my routine this evening and see if I can remedy the right-left variation. 

I'm very new to the bow but have done A LOT of shooting the last 2 months or so and was having a lot of problem with left to right movement for awhile.  I did the same thing that Boar mentioned and opened my bow hand and focused on staying relaxed all the way through the shot.  My groups tightened up and found the center of the target almost immediately.

I find that being as relaxed as possible is what helped me most in controlling that left/right movement.  There was an article about the top 3D archer in Field and Stream a month or two ago and he went into detail about his shooting style and mechanics and the biggest thing he stressed that goes against some of the mainstream thinking is the idea of remaining as relaxed as possible.  It goes against the more traditional concept of using back tension but it seems to work and yielded almost instantly better results for me.