• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breaking the Mental Barrier

TylerS

yup one day yur bow arm might not be bent, the next week ur anchor point is irregular, or the windage adjustment on ur page has loosend.Im not as versed as other here, but I like to pay attention to details. and its the little things that add up to a big thing. Youll get'er!!

An open relaxed grip is important, but pay attention to how you place your hand on the grip.  Needs to be repeated the same way EVERY TIME.   This sport looks so simple, but the deeper we get into it, the more complex it becomes.  It takes a while to get truly comfortable and confident in your shooting.  Keep at it, keep asking questions.  It'll come.  Good luck.

An open relaxed grip is important, but pay attention to how you place your hand on the grip.  Needs to be repeated the same way EVERY TIME.   This sport looks so simple, but the deeper we get into it, the more complex it becomes.  It takes a while to get truly comfortable and confident in your shooting.  Keep at it, keep asking questions.  It'll come.  Good luck.

I usually grip my bow just between my thumb and forefinger on that fat pad of skin. Seems like the best angle to assure my arm and elbow stays clear of the string upon release. 

It's a weird thing, but other than relaxing last night I just concentrated on the target. Didn't think, just shot. For some reason, when I overthink all the steps, that's when I screw up. It's a lot like wingshooting with a shotgun. If I just let my mechanics do the work, I can hit what I shoot at. But as soon as I start trying to think about the process, I miss. Every. Darn. Time. 

I think its like a lot of things.  You need to do the work to build the muscle memory and build the fundamentals but then once thats done you almost have to shut your brain off and let that muscle memory take over.  When your brain gets in the way it seems to over rule the muscle memory and things seem to fall apart. 

Right like Nonfish said, and urself. cant sit there and go thru a mental check list of things before the shot. same same same. just relax and put'er in the 10 ring.  dont hesitate to crank it down a bit till the every step is engrained in ur muscle memory, the crank it up to ur comfer zone.. good job!

I think its like a lot of things.  You need to do the work to build the muscle memory and build the fundamentals but then once thats done you almost have to shut your brain off and let that muscle memory take over.  When your brain gets in the way it seems to over rule the muscle memory and things seem to fall apart. 

Yep this might be it, start by working any bugs out of your form and grip. Then just work on the concentration and try and repeat everything perfectly. You could also be shooting too much and getting tired, that can cause problems with your shooting form, I would rather shoot 8 perfect arrows than 80 ok arrows. Keep that focus and concentration but don't burn yourself out shooting, take a break and come back later if you still have things to work on. I had plenty of issues like this when I first started.

Well, I listened to y'all and shot 10 arrows last night. Open grip. Smooth draw. Consistent anchor. Kept relaxed. 20 yards and I nearly Robbin Hood'd an arrow! They were dead on the nose and I only had one flier (my last arrow) that went a couple inches high. 

As long as nothing else happens, I think I figured this out! Going to keep shooting my 10 every evening between now and opener. 

Nicely done.  Sometimes less is more, after all it really only matters where your first arrow goes.

This is true. It's really a confidence thing for me. Just like sighting in a rifle. As long as I'm dead on at the range, I feel better in the woods. 

One one other thing. I hunt mostly from blinds and it's much different shooting sitting than standing if it hasn't been mentioned. I always practice a few draws and anchors as soon as I settle into the blind to make  sure it feels right vs struggling for it to when the deer is in the open lane. 

And goo and good luck!

Ha sure enough I started shooting low for some reason, been shooting a few times all week all season and got sloppy, tightened up the form a bit and all is well again. Every now and then those small form and or mental errors can creep in, consistency is the key.