• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First archery deer/buck

rkhinrichs

Yesterday, I shot this buck in Northeast MN on public land! This is my first deer/buck harvest with a bow. This is my 4th year hunting deer with a bow! I got a nice looking bear with my bow earlier this fall. I am sure fortunate to be able to hunt in the outdoors and see what it has to offer!

full-37665-51894-1.jpg

full-37665-51895-2.jpg

full-37665-51896-3.jpg

Very Nice and your persistence is a lesson to all, it don't come easy. Think I learned from you this....... Farmland deer are so nocturnal after gun season, smaller wood chunks, etc. all the land is hunted basically making muzzleloading extremely challenging...........maybe getting away from cropland and hunting where there are no crops makes the deer feed more or longer during shooting light as the deer are in no hurry to get to standing corn or whatever in the farmland but without crops maybe they browse along better and longer in shooting light, mental note taken, very nice cool looking buck !

thanks to everyone on that shares their stories! lot of info! Here are my rules

1. all ways play the wind!!! no matter what. if the wind is wrong, do not a hunt that area!!!!! never break rule number one!!! I just put my cloths in bins with pine trees and leafs. Yea, i use scent killer body wash and spray but that is it!!! carbon clothing is all hype!!!!

2. All ways hunt fronts and weather changes. For example. in Northeast MN there was 80% chance of snow on sunday.... that means i am going to "church in the woods!!!!!" i hunted Saturday saw some does. Then Sunday morning 5 does and then the buck came in about 7:45!!

3. DO NOT GET attached to an area. if there is no sign move on. just because you saw deer early season, does not mean it is good late season. switch things up. keep the deer guessing!!! and do not over hunt a spot.

4. think outside of the box!! be different. tv shows are not true hunting!!!

5. Hunt bedding areas!!!!! yea easy to stay out of bedding areas on private land. but in public land some of the best spots.

6. treat others hunters with respect! we are all on the same team!

7. grip,anchor,aim, fire. This is what i say every-time before i shoot!