• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2014 Regs gonna affect the way and where you hunt this season?

1eyeReD

The thought of only getting one deer made me decide to go back to SD , I can shoot two out there . But I will most likely buy my archery rifle and muzzy tag again thanks to party hunting ! We do still have a lot of deer on our lands and have been in intensive harvest for about 8 years but we have room for more

First year I seriously contemplated the Duluth metro hunt. Jumped through all the hoops and got drawn on lottery night grin So I have a big parcel along with two 40's of private property within the leagues area. I can take up to five deer. Very pleased as I almost always put three in the freezer. Been practicing like a fiend and am stoked! BC

What zone did you get? I got in this year too. First year. 19A. It worked out great because Ill be coming down from Two Harbors and that is the closest zone to Two Harbors. Cant Wait!

My hunting strategy will change, I will be out there though. It will bucks only with the bow, maybe I can get my first bow buck in 16 years. I will also dabble in videoing my hunts this as I should get practice messin witb the camera on does, should be a learning experience.

I will as buy a rifle tag regardless as I will not miss deer camp.

The only thing it will change how I hunt is by not taking the first good oppurtuntity on a doe. Guess it's mr big by bow, rifle or smokepole, or late season doe with bow or smokepole. I will spend, hopefully, an awful lot of time in/on a tree or from the ground this year. Just being out there is why I hunt, what ever I decide to tag is just a bonus

cocowheats, I will be in zone 20a. About ten minutes from work. Will be working 7am till 2pm then off to the woods. You didn't happen to be in the advanced hunter safety course in Carlton this summer? We may have been in the class together, and welcome to the forum! BC

cocowheats, I will be in zone 20a. About ten minutes from work. Will be working 7am till 2pm then off to the woods. You didn't happen to be in the advanced hunter safety course in Carlton this summer? We may have been in the class together, and welcome to the forum! BC

NIce. 20a looks good. It all looks good though. I was not at that class, I just took it online.

Nothing will change for me, I can archery hunt my home lottery zone for a buck with gun and drive 10 miles and hunt 601, that's either a 5 limit or unlimited for doe's.

I will archery hunt for meat in the 601 area and then hunt lottery zone with a rifle or muzzleloader, not sure yet.

I had some other ideas for this year but the change did change those plans.

More trail cams, going to hunt where I see the biggest bucks, probably keep moving cams trying to zero in on where they might move in daylight. I'm not shooting a doe period, even though I'd love to & there's lots of them. Holding out for a good buck until at least December. May decide to take a doe & be done with late archery.

I agree with you, and I will focus on trying to get my first deer with a bow. I actually already purchased the archery and gun tags, and one of the guys at work actually wants me to hunt his place. He's almost as excited as I am about it. He says it will be as much fun for him to watch me get my first archery deer as it will be for me. Could be I'll end up just passing out from buck fever. He's shown me some nice camera pics. He says if I choose to keep hunting his place, all he asks is that each years buck be bigger than the last....I can hardly wait!

He's taking me out this Friday night to check out some of the antler growth and for me to get acquainted with the stand locations, see the farm etc.

I love being part of this community!

Definately going to change the areas we hunt for early season at least. I usually hunt public land with my 16 yr old. We would always hunt the areas that allowed management tags first and shoot the first adult deer we saw. Then in late Oct. we would hunt a couple pieces that were "one deer only" areas but had a lot more deer and hunt for bucks only. Now that everything in our area is "one deer only", we will do the reversed and hunt those areas with a higher deer population right away.

Since we are only allowed one deer each now, my son says he is holding out for his first buck. I'm not as picky and just want to put some meat in the freezer.

I suspect that the DNR will see a big increase in antlerless deer tagged by females this year. wink

Nels

I will probably burn my tag again this year. I love hunting big whitetails too much to shoot anything but a target buck (it would almost feel like a disappointment to fill my tag on opening day on a Booner because I'd be done), and I really don't care if I get one as the experiences, the friends, the process of scouting and being outdoors during the change of the seasons, etc., are what I hunt for. In the past I might have shot a doe at the end of the season, but I doubt do that this year with the way the numbers are.

(it would almost feel like a disappointment to fill my tag on opening day on a Booner because I'd be done)

That's it in a nutshell. Why ruin a perfectly good hunt smile It's about the chase, not the result. Now if we're lucky enough to do that toward the end, that's the ultimate.

Try the ultimate challenge if you get the chance to take a good deer early: Shoot it, then help another hunter get theirs. And I mean by mentoring someone who isn't a seasoned hunter and would like the help, not shooting one for them.

Cant quote so I'll go with bear55.

Hunters expect to much in todays times.I been rifle hunting since 1959 and archery since 1965.The regs where easy when the metal tags were distributed! One deer OR 1 bear.Then the so confusing take 5 from this area 3 from this one seperate bear tag one deer from here special hunts.People should be happy getting one.BUT their conditioned to sit in heated treestands and expect way to much!Gettin to soft fellows!!

Try the ultimate challenge if you get the chance to take a good deer early: Shoot it, then help another hunter get theirs. And I mean by mentoring someone who isn't a seasoned hunter and would like the help, not shooting one for them.

If there was a Like button, I'd click it on this reply!

Yep. Will be trying my butt off to get my 14 year old a deer this year. Will try for a 2.5 year old or older buck myself. But will probably head to UP of MI with my 14 year old over MEA to try to get some meat in the freezer.

I'll be burning a lot more gas driving down to the Wisconsin farmland zone, as I have 2 buck and 2 doe tags there. I mostly hunt in the metro, but since I didn't get drawn for MBRB I'll probably concentrate on Wisconsin--which I kind of like better anyway.

Totally on board with this plan, but can't really seem to get my kids very interested.

I'm going to shoot the first nice one I get a chance at, should I be fortunate enough. I'd love to get a nice buck opening night this year. I'd still get to gun hunt with my family. I have basement finishing to do & a LOT of wood to get cut.

I'll be burning a lot more gas driving down to the Wisconsin farmland zone, as I have 2 buck and 2 doe tags there. I mostly hunt in the metro, but since I didn't get drawn for MBRB I'll probably concentrate on Wisconsin--which I kind of like better anyway.

Been scouting WI lands for this too. Kind of exciting seeing new ground. So far, some I've seen are promising, but I'm also seeing a lot of human sign on a few properties I've been to. Walking by trail cams, people's stands etc. But that's the public land dance. You see signs of pressure, you move on. I couldn't believe the amount of trail cams I saw on a few of these public properties.. About 5 properties scouted so far and only about 2 that don't appear to have someone else trying to hunt it. I'll stick to those and try to figure em out. Also fixin to go in blind on some after doing cyber scouting..

Ill be hunting WI and MN. No changes here. Go big or go home in MN. Ive been seeing a few decent bucks around the country. Same in WI but ill likely try and take a doe if possible. Really want to get the wife on a good 2 year old or better this year with the archery tackle, looking like shes gonna have some options out there! I hope it pans out!

Cant quote so I'll go with bear55.

Hunters expect to much in todays times.I been rifle hunting since 1959 and archery since 1965.The regs where easy when the metal tags were distributed! One deer OR 1 bear.Then the so confusing take 5 from this area 3 from this one seperate bear tag one deer from here special hunts.People should be happy getting one.BUT their conditioned to sit in heated treestands and expect way to much!Gettin to soft fellows!!

Agree so much. Many hunters want instant success and really don't want to hunt more than a couple of days.

To many hunting articles,gagets TV shows over bait have dumbed down many hunters who want it too easy.

I love to keep hunting,but one deer will do and I can always go fishing or grouse hunting.

I have my eyes on a couple of bucks and I am really trying to HUNT them.

I really want to help my wife get her 1st buck, she has shot a doe and has held out on many smaller bucks.

I am not too upset about the 1 tag, we do like eating venison, but we are getting to a point where the time in the woods and actually hunting and not just killing is more important to us.