• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shot gun for my wife

so here is my issue. My wife who stands a whole 4 ft 7 inches wants to skeet shoot. I have a youth model single shot 20 gauge rossi. Was going to get some light loads and let her try that out first. But she is heckbent on an over under. Not sure where she got that idea but someone has been putting ideas in her head. Any thoughts on a 20 gauge for her? i am still thinking youth.

Not sure if she's a new shooter but it sounds like she might be? Tread lightly until you know if she likes it!

The better O/Us are just that - better. In my opinion there's a world of difference in feel and balance that just ads to the whole experience. I've shot less expensive makes in addition to Ruger Red Label and my Citori. My Citori was an impulse buy just by the way it fit off the rack and I personally haven't shot a more enjoyable shotgun. My Citori Lighting is actually a field grade shotgun and runs just north of a Grand these days, I believe. There are much higher grades from that point of course.

Call skeet ranges that you might visit to see if they have rentals or try to borrow one from a friend for her first try at skeet. I love it but others find it frustrating. Youth models may work but I don't recall seeing many youth model O/Us. Admittedly I haven't looked for them. Smaller framed people I've shot skeet with had custom fit O/Us.

Good luck!

If she's a new shooter with that stature, I would look into a good semi-auto to minimize recoil. An O/U or SxS will kick a little more.

With the better guns comes a bigger price tag. I have a Benelli Ultralight 20 ga. that is an absolute dream to shoot. Also have a Benelli M2 20 ga. Recoil is almost non-existant.

Both guns are extremely light, making it easier for smaller people to hold onto and carry while on the range/course.

Any good shotgun she likes will do. Now for the real trick, bring it and her to a gunsmith and get it fit right. Do not fall into the trap that she will adapt to the gun, it just never works out right, having it fit will make it fun and reduce recoil more than any factory built gun. If you need testimonials just ask a reliable gunsmith.

You need a gun that will fit her right. I have seen guy's with $80,000 trap guns that can't hit squat bleeding from their cheek's when the $350 870 would have done them better but they have the money to spend 2c

I would look towards a auto and get a barrel counter weight and maybe add another into the stock if the recoil bothers her too much.

what BoxMN said...great suggestion.

I have the A400 in 20 ga and 12 ga.....absolutely love them.

Consider the length of pull and fit of the gun prior to purchasing it.

Another note: if you can...and it sounds like you belong to a gun club, see if you can have your wife shoot some different models of guns. It may be a long shot and a pipe dream, but if she can shoot some different models, your going to be happier and she is going to be happier..and shoot the best she can with confidence and a gun that fits her best.

I purchased a browning BPS for my granddaughter this past summer. It would be great for a shorter shooter and it is pretty light and shoots well. This is the Youth BPS model. The lady saleswomen at the gun shop was short and she said she shoots this shotgun and she knows many other women that do also. I have to say it was easy for my 12 year old granddaughter to handle this gun

The worst thing that one can do is to get a gun for the better half that doesn't fit them.

They will never be comfortable shooting and in turn not be happy.

Even if you find a gun that they like and its not quite right find a gunsmith and they can fit the gun to the person. also with the advances in the recoil reduction these days a 12ga is very shoot-able for most kids and women.

You will not believe the difference in shooting when a gun fits the person correctly.

Most gunsmiths will fit a gun to a person as part of the charge when installing a new recoil pad too. I know that Keelers gunsmith does this for their customers.