• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Time Gun Buyer

MN BassFisher

So I'm going to purchasing my first gun here soon. I will be buying a .22 for small game use and for plinking and target shooting. I think it'll be a good starter rifle to have of my own that will help get me out into the woods and practicing my shooting and mechanics. I've narrowed it down to two: Marlin Model 60 and the Ruger 10/22. I've been researching and talking to people for a while now and know about the Ruger name and following. I'm leaning towards getting the Marlin for these reasons: most people I speak to (most of which own both) say that out of the box the Marlin is a better shot (the 10/22 can be with some upgrades), this is my first gun and don't plan on adding much to it or customizing it (a strong point of the 10/22), from research it sounds like the Marlin can handle most any .22 ammo (even the crappy bulk stuff) and is a little less finicky than the Ruger, and lastly I think I will enjoy the tube fed chamber rather than a magazine feed. Okay with that said, I'm intrigued by the Stainless Barrel model of the Marlin as well as the Stainless and Synthetic Stock Marlin. I'm having a hard time finding any place that has these in stock. How do the majority of you purchase your guns - big box stores, local gun stores, online, person to person sites?? Any tips for a first time buyer would be greatly appreciated!!

For what you are buying, a big box or smaller gun shop. Forget the internet, besides for researching who may have what you want. The marlins are good shooters, and the ruger have infinite cutomization. Tube fed is ok, but mag fed means you can have a bunch preloaded and waiting.

Sounds like you have your thoughts well organized and should be just fine.

Just keep in mind, its not a huge decision, sooner or later you'll end up with many guns, so dont sweat it too much. Have a good time and get out there shootin!

For what you are buying, a big box or smaller gun shop. Forget the internet, besides for researching who may have what you want. The marlins are good shooters, and the ruger have infinite cutomization. Tube fed is ok, but mag fed means you can have a bunch preloaded and waiting.

Sounds like you have your thoughts well organized and should be just fine.

Just keep in mind, its not a huge decision, sooner or later you'll end up with many guns, so dont sweat it too much. Have a good time and get out there shootin!

That's my thought process, it'll be a starter gun which will lead to improved shooting mechanics, more time spent in the woods, and the purchase of more guns!

Um, I wouldn't spend much money on your first 22...Just go buy one, learn how to shoot. Shoot any bullet... GUN SAFETY is most important.

I started with a ruger 10/22 bolt action w/scope. Poked a lot of sparrows. Wasn't long and i was ready for the 12ga.

Very true! I was thinking/hoping that this purchase and exposure will help lead me to more hunting activities and more gun purchases in the near future.

Pretty hard to beat the Ruger 10-22. And incidentally, there is no such thing as a "bolt action 10-22" The accuracy out of the box on this little rifle is legendary so I am at a loss to understand any negative comments about it's accuracy.

Am not generally a semi auto guy, but the 10-22 was sent by the Gods to those who love to blast bottles, crush cans, poke paper,smash saucers and otherwise blow through a brick of .22 Longs.

But don't forget.....Ruger makes a beautiful bolt action .22 with laminated stock. Had one for a long while. But it might be more than you are thinking of.

Have fun and take the .22 seriously!....it can kill.

Ufatz took the words right off my key board. A bolt 10/.22???? Anyway, either is a good buy. I own both but, mine are pretty vintage models and still perform well. However, the Ruger does not load as easy as the tube feed. The 10 shot rotary & 25 shot clips are alittle tedious to load by hand but there is a loader for them. As a side note: if you do go with any of the 25 rd clip make sure you buy the Butler Creek with the metal lips or the new Ruger 25 rounders. So, the after market items does jack up the price of the 10/.22. Most guys I know shot the Federal 36 grain cooper plated (525 per box) or the American Eagle 38 grain cooper plated (400 per box). Unplated .22 tend to foul up a barrel. Either one is going to give you decades of performance with minimal care. You don't need to go very high priced on scopes. If I was just starting off I'd go with the Marlin just for ease of operation.

I got my grandkids (for when they pass gun safety) the 10/22, and of course had to get myself one wink They are nice guns, fun, cool accessories, etc. (I picked a handful up back about 8 years ago on sale, glad I did seeing the prices now, even though I still have a package ready to give out when youngest turns 12!)

I got a Springfield semi auto 22 from my Grandpa when I turned 12, and I bet you can find them used at gun shops for maybe next to nothing. Mine always has worked well, and it s a tube feed wink Only think I didn't like is that it can only hold 14 LR, so I always had one extra when using the sliding lid cartridge packages! ha!

I will get a nice lever action 22 someday smile for me wink

I would not recommend the 10-22 as a first gun. I had one, never had much luck with it, always jammed, no matter what shell I used and I think I tried them all. It would have been a nice gun if I hadn't had the problems. However, I know other people that have them and have no problems.

I would look at a basic bolt action for your first .22. They are accurate, simple, and easy to shoot. Almost fool proof for a beginner. I would also take a look at what Savage has to offer in the .22 caliber, their guns have really impressed me the last couple of years with the Mark series, and the accu-trigger is awesome, even though I hate the way it looks. It has lots of great qualities for a beginner and experienced shooter alike.

A bolt 10/.22????

?? It's a ruger bolt action that holds a 10 round clip? Does that make it a 10/22? No clue here, sorry for mistating.

Oh - a quick g search tells me that a 10/.22 is an autoloading grin Doesn't quite make sense to have a 10/.22 bolt lol. Learn something new every day .

You guys are thinking of the Ruger 77/22. Great gun, mine is super accurate out to about 75-100 yds. Takes the same 10 rd rotary mag as the 10/22. My first was also a 10/22. I had no problems with accuracy. I put on a cheap Cabelas 4x on it and it hit the bull every time out to about 50yds, no customization needed. And I put around 25,000 rds through it with very, very few problems.

I would not recommend the 10-22 as a first gun. I had one, never had much luck with it, always jammed, no matter what shell I used and I think I tried them all. It would have been a nice gun if I hadn't had the problems. However, I know other people that have them and have no problems.

you had a lemon. Plenty of 10/22's out there with no problems.

They are like the 870 of the 22lr world.

I know my dad's was built in the 70s and as of the early 90s could take the head off a GI Joe at 50 yards with a cheap scope.

I did have an issue with my 10/22 jamming a while ago. All it took was taking it fully down and cleaning it up really well. Put it back together with very little oil and haven't had a problem since. And it was my first firearm and still use it to take small-game.

Only addition to it was adding a simmons scope.

Would like to get a couple ruger 25 round magazines for it, and a set of see-through scope rings to use the sights if the scope is buggered up.

First shot-gun Mossberg 500 still use it today. When I have kids and they get old enough I'll start them with a 10/22 also and later a single shot 20ga (one shot-one kill).

back in HS i used to use my dads "OLD" 22lr

after college i bough my own nice 22lr (cant remmber name either browing or remington) but then it as well as my shot gun at the time got stolen. 22 years ago.

Yesterday I just bought a Savage 93R17 BTVS .17 caliber in place of the 22.

Havent got to fire it yet, but I got a 10 round clip. The guy at the shop said that this caliber is getting very popular.