• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to hunt deer on a golf course

rkhinrichs

hey everyone. im hunting engar golf course(duluith city limit). i was wondering if anyone has hunted it or has intell where to be set up on a golf course. im looking for a doe. so i know im behind the 8 ball since its earn a buck in the city limit. but this zone just opened up today. so the pressure is low. has anyone every hunted a golf course before? what should I look for? with my luck i should just hunt the 19th hole. smile

Leave your driver in the trunk - wedge is ideal as you'll be working alot of close shots.

Ha-ha...get out there and scout - look for trails coming and going along fairways that border the bigger woods areas - food sources are always important elements to key in on as well. Particularly later in the year - oaks(acorns) and that sort of thing if you can find any...

For your sake its closed so if a guy like me shanks one you dont test out your safety rope. Have never been there, so cant help a whole lot.

Dont know if its been dry up there but check to see if there are any funnels in the woods by a water hazard. Or i know that some of the best food sources around are oak trees that are fertilized throughout the summer. Seen the biggest acorns ever on golf courses for that reason. Good luck.

I was golfing Northland this summer and saw a nice buck with a doe in the creek by 18. A buddy walked to 15 yards of them before they scooted off. Nothland is not near a dense woods as near I can tell so you may see them in the "open" so to speak.

With that being said I would still look to the woods on the North side of the course but they could be bedded in any of the tree lined fairways. I hunt a course on and off and see them feeding in the rough through most of the day. Set up anywhere on a treeline and you should see plenty of deer.

I am thinking when I played it we seem to have seen some deer towards the north end by the 3 ponds... towards Observation road near Arlington...?

Don't quote me on the exacts, been a few years since I have golfed it.

Seemed like the Fairways were a tad tighter and alot more woods.

Remember that well, I am not the best golfer and always seem to find that kind os stuff.

I hunt a golf course and I'd suggest picking a vantage point and bring your binoculars to find out where they are coming out. You'd miss one night hunting but probably will learn more doing that than randomly hunting.

Any deer around a golf course should be pretty accustomed to having people walking around. Depending on how much time you have and how many people are hunting it with you I'd probably try doing a little ground hunting moving slowly around looking for sign and deer. I'm not familiar with the course but I'd suspect that the deer would stay more toward the edges along the larger wooded areas. Maybe get yourself into the middle of the course and walk around scouting the perimeter tree lines.

Also talking to grounds keepers is a good idea. They likely know where the deer have been at different times of day.

First thing is to get a camo polo shirt and some plaid pants. Then put your bow in a golf bag and carry a golf club and one ball. Head to the course and hop on a golf cart. Shank a ball into the woods and start stillhunting while "looking for your ball." Shouldn't take too long to stumble across a shooter.

saw 4 differnt bucks and one was a big 8! but the doe he was with ran a differnt way. than another doe but could not find a opening through the trees. i thought it was the masters with everyone walking around tonight!!!! 3 of the bucks came within 20 yards or less. NEED A DOE ASAP