• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two-blade Rage complaints

I am sure this has been on this site multiple times, but a buddy asked me to come up with some good and bad things about the Rage two-blades because a friend of his hates them.

What is your opinion about the Rage two-blade? What is the thing you dislike the most about it? Have you tried it and went away because of a bad experience?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Personally I think moving parts and broadheads make very little sence, but that's just me.

Most people I know that shoot the two blade Rage really like them. The only negative issue I've heard about them is they often glance outide of the ribcage when a very sharp quartering away shot is taken.

I switched to the 2 blade rage a couple of years ago because when I got a new bow, I couldn't get the Shuttle T's to fly very well anymore (even after extensive tuning.) The Rage's got high praise from many people, so I thought I'd try them. I really like how they fly. They shoot the same as my field points from any distance. I've shot 5 deer 1 coyote, and 2 turkeys with them over the past 3 years and recovered all but one deer. The one that I did not recover was hit high above the spine in "no man's land" and only a poisoned broadhead would have put that deer down.

The other deer that I shot went anywhere from 10-150 yards before they died. The deer that I shot on Friday was hit through both lungs (lower lungs) with the chisel tip 2 blade and ran at least 150 yards before he died. There was a huge entrance and exit hole through both sides of the deer and I looked and he had a 2" hole through both lungs but there was hardly any blood. I have yet to see blood trails like you see on their commercials, or on you tube videos. However, It bothered me that the arrow barely went through him. It went between two ribs on the entrance and exit, but did not pass completely through to the ground. He carried the arrow with him for 40-50 yards before it fell out. I'm shooting a Mathews Z7 at 65 pounds, with Maxima 250's and am getting about 285 FPS. I was getting complete pass through shots regularly when I was shooting the Shuttle T's, but have only gotten one since I switched to the Rage's.

I will keep shooting them because they do fly very well, and leave very big holes in the deer. However, I don't think they are as amazing as everyone says. It just seems to me that I don't get the penetration that I used to get with the Shuttle T's.

If you do an internet search on this topic you'll find a ton of people who are unhappy with them. I've never shot them and don't intend to. I'm a firm believer in three bladed options being better than two bladed options. Of the two bladed options, I don't personally believe the Rage heads are a terribly good one. However, they've spent a lot of money on advertising and sell a lot of broadheads. Lots of people are happy with them, but enough aren't to keep me from ever giving them a crack. I'm sure some people will disagree and/or refute what I've said above- I'm just passing along what I've seen and read...

I shot them for one year... one buck and one doe, both complete passthroughs... they kill the hell out of deer that is for sure... but the main downfall that I seen was the blade retention system, waaay too easy for the blades to fall out of closed position. This scared me enough to go back to fixed..last thing I wanted to think about prior to the shot is if my blades were secure....

This year I shot the QAD Exodus as well as the Grizz Tricks.

Alot of the rage fanfair is the fact that you don't need to have a finely tuned bow to have them shoot like your field tips, where a fixed blade will show the flaws in your bows tuning. I personally like to shoot a perfectly tuned bow, so going back to fixed was an obvious choice, for me...

Penetration has been an issue for some as well, I like passthroughs...

I wish I could spend the same amount of time in the woods as I do making these things every day. I work for Rage, and I'm always hearing nothing but good things about them.

The downfall that was mentioned earlier with the O-ring could be fixed by using a thicker ring, but than you'd have to worry about whether the blade is going to deploy.

A thing I noticed that's a real pain in the a** is the smaller screws used on the 3 blades, in which you need a very small micro hex allen (most people don't have one), so now you need to buy that, not to mention if your blades get dull or the o ring pops. It would almost be beneficial to have a kit that holds all these extras. Anyways, my point, the 2 blade is the way to go I think screw wise, atleast thats a bigger screw. also less blades increases chances of proper deployment. Blades are larger by like a half inch I think.

I have yet to kill a deer with one.

I switched to the 2 blade rage a couple of years ago because when I got a new bow, I couldn't get the Shuttle T's to fly very well anymore (even after extensive tuning.) The Rage's got high praise from many people, so I thought I'd try them. I really like how they fly. They shoot the same as my field points from any distance. I've shot 5 deer 1 coyote, and 2 turkeys with them over the past 3 years and recovered all but one deer. The one that I did not recover was hit high above the spine in "no man's land" and only a poisoned broadhead would have put that deer down.

The other deer that I shot went anywhere from 10-150 yards before they died. The deer that I shot on Friday was hit through both lungs (lower lungs) with the chisel tip 2 blade and ran at least 150 yards before he died. There was a huge entrance and exit hole through both sides of the deer and I looked and he had a 2" hole through both lungs but there was hardly any blood. I have yet to see blood trails like you see on their commercials, or on you tube videos. However, It bothered me that the arrow barely went through him. It went between two ribs on the entrance and exit, but did not pass completely through to the ground. He carried the arrow with him for 40-50 yards before it fell out. I'm shooting a Mathews Z7 at 65 pounds, with Maxima 250's and am getting about 285 FPS. I was getting complete pass through shots regularly when I was shooting the Shuttle T's, but have only gotten one since I switched to the Rage's.

I will keep shooting them because they do fly very well, and leave very big holes in the deer. However, I don't think they are as amazing as everyone says. It just seems to me that I don't get the penetration that I used to get with the Shuttle T's.

if you want more kinetic energy for pass thru's,

shoot the 350's.

I wish I could spend the same amount of time in the woods as I do making these things every day. I work for Rage, and I'm always hearing nothing but good things about them.

The downfall that was mentioned earlier with the O-ring could be fixed by using a thicker ring, but than you'd have to worry about whether the blade is going to deploy.

A thing I noticed that's a real pain in the a** is the smaller screws used on the 3 blades, in which you need a very small micro hex allen (most people don't have one), so now you need to buy that, not to mention if your blades get dull or the o ring pops. It would almost be beneficial to have a kit that holds all these extras. Anyways, my point, the 2 blade is the way to go I think screw wise, atleast thats a bigger screw. also less blades increases chances of proper deployment. Blades are larger by like a half inch I think.

I have yet to kill a deer with one.

Ive been shooting the 2 blade since they came out, one nice thing would be to have the chisel tip replaceable like the cutting tip was. nuthin but good reports from me tho! killed alot of deer with rage.

Positives: Rages shoot true to field tips and make big cuts in deer

Negatives (both in my experience and 2 friends) is that they for some reason don't seem to have great penetration. I also don't like the blood trail with 2 blade rages, I think because it is a slit rather than a hole, and it is easier for the fascia and skin to cover the entry and exit wound

Also the blades have issues coming off the o-ring, can't beat fixed-blades for peace of mind for flying normally and for cutting on contact

I've shot several deer with the rage 2-blade. I like them alot. All were pass-throughs with decent blood trails. My real complaints come with the maintenance. O-rings get brittle and need replacing. The blades can be replaced on some. I bought the rebuild kit to replace blades on mine. I broke one and couldn't remove the screw on another. That sealed it for me.

I shot all fixed blades this year and had no problem sighting in or tuning. I took 4 deer with the fixed blade heads and all were cleaned and back in service in no time. All provided large holes and good blood trails. I see no reason to go back to the rage.

I shoot Rage 2 blade. They shoot just like my field tips and Ive never had a deer go more than 40 yards. What i like is when an "accident" does happen and a shot turned out not to be perfect, they still seem to cut so much and result in dead deer quickly.

Ive heard plenty of good and bad, but like mentioned above, its all about placement. I give Rage 2 thumbs up.

They aren't terrible but they definitely aren't great. I will never use rage again, first off the 3 blade need tons of kinetic energy to penetrate, more likely to bounce off a deer than get a pass through. The 2 blade I have shot several deer with, and they work but not very good blood trails on most of them. The main downfall is the blades are constantly falling out of the oring. They do fly good, but with a properly tuned bow, fixed fly just as good for me. Fixed are the only way going foward for this hunter.

MY son shoots the 2 blade Rage and loves them.

I have always shot the Bad to the Bone Muzzy 3 balade fixed broadheads and got a package of the 3 blade Rage to try them.

This year, I have shot and 8 and a 9 pointer and neither shot cleared the deer. Both shots were withing 20 yards, maybe 15 and the one the arrow never went through the other side and the buck I shot in North Dakota on this last Monday the broadhead barely cleared the other side. So, very little for blood trails but I did recover both.

My Mathews bow is set at 70#'s so at this close range, there should be no issues with clearing the deer. The buck on Monday, the broadhead got stuck in the ribs and one blade broke. I believe I am shooting appox a 425 grain arrow with the broadhead so that should not be the issue either.

So, my expierence with Rage 3 blades are a big fat zero for performance.

I am going back to my Muzzy Bad to the Bone fixed blades as I have never had any issues with them for quite a few years and they have been great for me with the exact same set up.

Anyone else had these issues with the Rage 3 blade?

MY son shoots the 2 blade Rage and loves them.

I have always shot the Bad to the Bone Muzzy 3 balade fixed broadheads and got a package of the 3 blade Rage to try them.

This year, I have shot and 8 and a 9 pointer and neither shot cleared the deer. Both shots were withing 20 yards, maybe 15 and the one the arrow never went through the other side and the buck I shot in North Dakota on this last Monday the broadhead barely cleared the other side. So, very little for blood trails but I did recover both.

My Mathews bow is set at 70#'s so at this close range, there should be no issues with clearing the deer. The buck on Monday, the broadhead got stuck in the ribs and one blade broke. I believe I am shooting appox a 425 grain arrow with the broadhead so that should not be the issue either.

So, my expierence with Rage 3 blades are a big fat zero for performance.

I am going back to my Muzzy Bad to the Bone fixed blades as I have never had any issues with them for quite a few years and they have been great for me with the exact same set up.

Anyone else had these issues with the Rage 3 blade?

Buddy shoots a matthews at 70 pounds and shot a doe this year at 23 yards, had the exact same issue with the 3 blade, said the broadhead was lying against the skin on the outside of the opposite rib cage

I've never had penetration issues with 3 blade muzzy's, I will be going back to them as well.

Sounds like you guy's need to shoot a heavier arrow. I shoot a 430 grain Easton full metal jacket 400 with the 3 blade rage and have only had one not pass through.

The set up I use has never had any issues with any other broadhead. I will as I stated be going back to my 125 grain Muzzies.

Well for me the two bade rage kicke the cr ap out my daughters 320 lb bear this yea an it droped with in site. I could fit my whole hand thru the wound slit. I was really dumb founded on what havoc it did.

Ive shot rage since the first year they have came out. Three years ago iI switched to the 2 blade just because, from what I've found, there is less binding as they open. The ten deer and the elk that I've killed with em has been nothing less than impressive. I could literally stink my hand in the hole of my elk, not to mention the guide said out of the 100+ elk he has tracked he had never seen anything close to the blood trail it left. The farthest I have had a deer go was 75yrds and most have tipped within 30. The 'problem' with the blades popping open in the quiver has pretty will been solved this year with the shock collar. This year I killed my buck and doe with the new chisel tip and was really happy with the penetration. Alot of the shots people arent getting pass throughs on you probably wouldnt have with your other heads either. So IMO why not have a giant entrance and most the time giant exit hole, 2" vs. a 1 1/8"? I guess if your worried about them working then dont shoot em. As for me my quiver will be loaded with em for many seasons to come! They have a pretty sweet video on there web sight of some kill footage thats pretty impressive.