• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does the brand of lower unit oil matter that much?

Hoffer

I have always bought the Mercury brand lower unit oil. This year I couldnt find it and I bought the "Lubrimatic" brand.

Do you guys think the brand matters that much?

Also, I had almost a half quarter from last Fall left and a half quarter from the fall before. Different brands as well. Would it have been OK to mix the 2 together?

I didnt take the chance and went out and bought a new quarter...but I always wonder about that...

Thanks-

Hoffer

I think its important to run the brand recomended specially if its under warrenty

As far as mixing oils Idont think its to big a deal

I use to haul bulk motor oil I saw SA quarts being filled right behind

vavloline quarts

And when one refinery would run out of oil we would haul oil to it

There might be a differnce in the additives i dont think it makes a big difference all comes off the same tanker

I have always bought the Mercury brand lower unit oil. This year I couldnt find it and I bought the "Lubrimatic" brand.

Do you guys think the brand matters that much?

Also, I had almost a half quarter from last Fall left and a half quarter from the fall before. Different brands as well. Would it have been OK to mix the 2 together?

I didnt take the chance and went out and bought a new quarter...but I always wonder about that...

Thanks-

Hoffer

I would ask you this question. Why have you been using the Mercury brand until now? I will also answer it with what I believe would be your answer. Because you trust it. This is really what it comes down to. Which brand do you trust?

Hoffer, I had problems finding the correct lower unit oil as well cause the store I would normally get it at, ran out. However, I was able to find it at Walmart. They carried the Quicksilver brand and from what I understand, it is the same as the Mercury brand.

I forgot to ask. Is that Lubrimatic brand the kind they sell at Fleet Farm? If so, I purchased that kind 3 years ago and I wasn't a fan of it. When I drained it later in the fall the next year when I winterized the boat, it was very light in color. At first, I thought it was because of a possible bad seal, so the next spring, I brought my boat in for a pressure check. As it turns out, the seals were fine and the technician told me to try and stick with the Mercury or Quicksilver brands for my motor.

Just never ever mix Mercury High Performance lower unit lube with the Mercury Premium gear lube

WHY NOT?

I have heard two things, one is that the additive packages don't blend well and it results in a poorer quality lubricant that either product by itself. Also it turns into a gooey mess.

FWIW, we put the High Perf in all our motors (25 rude, 50 merc, 60 merc 4stroke, 150efi, and a couple more over the years). It is just easier to have the same type in all, and the cost is not much different.

And that right there Box, is why dealers have a 55 gal drum of that or BRP synthetic blend in the shop. They don't usually have 3-4 different brands just because they service different brands. That's right folks! Your brand new shiny Yamaha may just have been serviced with merc or BRP! Etc.

quality of the oil is FAR more important than brand.

I have used the Amsoil synthetic lube for the past 3 seasons and love it. You buy it at the orange FF stores for $8-10 per quart. Mine takes 3/4 of that, so its pretty inexpensive.

What weight is that? Our local FF only stocks it in lighter weights than directed.