• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats it going to take for you to drop the string this weekend??

BLACKJACK

With a lot of Minnesota moving toward lottery, meaning you can only shoot one deer, how big of a deer, buck or doe, needs to come by your stand in order for you to shoot it?? Its a little different if you are in a managed or intensive zone, but if you can only shoot one deer in your area, whats it going to take to end your season?

Personally, I love being in the deer stand that first week in November when the rut is hot and heavy, unless I see the big 8 point that I have some trail camera photos of, I won't be shooting anything this weekend.

With a lot of Minnesota moving toward lottery, meaning you can only shoot one deer, how big of a deer, buck or doe, needs to come by your stand in order for you to shoot it?? Its a little different if you are in a managed or intensive zone, but if you can only shoot one deer in your area, whats it going to take to end your season?

Personally, I love being in the deer stand that first week in November when the rut is hot and heavy, unless I see the big 8 point that I have some trail camera photos of, I won't be shooting anything this weekend.

I have one deer in mind, and one deer only. I won't kill a deer in MN unless it is bigger than that deer, and I'm not the least bit confident that I'll find one bigger. I'm hoping to drop the string on him around 7:30 p.m. Saturday - that's when he's been reporting for dinner the past couple weeks.

I am very exicted.

I'm alwasy on the lookout for a 3.5+ year old public land buck. Rack size isn't important but does get taken into consideration. I have a pretty good idea where one might be hiding out on the edge of some nice oaks, just a matter if he is there or in another nearby area come opener.

I won't shoot any does until October even in an intensive area to reduce impact on my hunting area. For a buck it will have to gross near 130. For my daughter I told her she can shoot anything except a spike. I think that would look funny when I have the antlers mounted for her.

I think any one of the 4 nice bucks I have on camera will be hard to pass up this weekend I think all of them would end up in the 130 or higher range. There is one that would be worth waiting for, but I don't know if I can. There are some issues this year that will not enable me to be in the stand as much as I would like at the end of October and early November.

I would say the first buck I see in that 130 & up range that gives me a shot. I am hunting some managed areas, so there I'd take almost any doe, but main area is managed. He'll have to be pretty nice. I've seen one several times, that I don't expect to get a crack at before rut, but will take him if he comes before that.

I never even saw one that fit that bill last year.

well i have to shoot a doe first, then i can chase bucks in my area. 1. any size doe

2. buck- no qualification has to have legal antlers

last year i made all these qualification for my buck and never shot a buck. so this year i have none. its my second year of bow hunting. im just trying to get some deer under my belt with a bow. before i make qualification

With the temps as high as they will be this weekend, I will pass on any non trophy that walks past my stand. To hot to dress, drag, skin, debone, and get in the fridge/freezer by the end of the day. Another thing is the flies seem to be extra bad this year as well. Another thing to think about when hanging your deer.

After the temps cool a bit, I wont be as picky. My freezer has been empty of venison for more then 6 months, and would like some table fare. I have shot enough bucks in my life, I am not out for the biggest rack, or the oldest deer. I am out to put some meat on the table, and I would much prefer a 140# deer for that, rather then some old greasy 200+# buck.

But I also can take 2 deer in my area, plus my son is bow hunting, and we deer hunt Wisconsin as well. SO many opportunities to catch Mr Big by surprise.

One deer as well for me so it will have to be a "nice to me buck." Plus I have to work Sunday, but with the kids both coming along in the ground blind, I am hoping the stars will align and I will have the "problem" of tracking and gutting a nice buck Saturday night!

Since I gave up waiting for a trophy buck that never appears and limited amount of time in the stand, any good size doe or buck will be shot at if it gets in range. I had too many tags to eat over the years and finally figured if I don't shoot the first good deer that presents a good shot I would have to eat tag soup again! I like to waterfowl hunt and ice fish too much to dedicate all my time to deer hunting! grin

Just finished the last of my venison earlier this week so I'll pull the release on any doe that walks by. I'm not overly picky when it comes to buck size but on opening weekend I typically pass on most unless I get "wowed" by one. Enjoy being in the stand too much to tag out completely on the first weekend!

I love big bucks and have shot my share. Figure I have already shot the biggest I will ever see again.

So, give me a 2 year old doe and I am a happy archer.

Temps will decide if I go out this weekend but my guess is, I will wait until another week or better.

I have 3 nicer bucks on my trial camera and have a good idea where they are but they will be around in a few weeks also. I will not hold out for 1 of the bucks if a nice doe gives me a clean shot at 20 yards or closer. I never let a doe walk by with my bow if it is a nice doe. To good of tablefare.

Scott, as far as the flies go, put a cheesecloth bag on the deer and that will keep the flies of while hanging.

This will be my first real year bow hunting. I have my own land and lots of time dedicate to it. I have been practicing all year, and I am ready(or so I think). Many deer in my area, I have 6 acres of woods, totaly surrounded by swamp and more woods. I have gotten pictures of 10 different bucks in the last 4 weeks. I will take any of them that walks by and gives me a shot, I can not manage 6 acres, and wont take the chance of letting them walk to grow, knowing that everything will be shot at come rifle season.

Good Luck to all!!! Be safe!!

i hope to pile up a few doe's by my house in my intensive area i hunt.

but our hunting land area which is lottery will be 2.5 old buck or bigger. being a family man now my standard has dropped a bit.

this wkd will be deer hunting in the morning and trying to fill my bear tag in the evening. looking forward to it all.

In my main area I hunt, it will have to be a rather nice buck. Hopefully 1 of the couple I have been chasing for a few years.

I am also taking in a "city hunt" where the 1st anterless deer will see a Rage being flung from my HeliM.

Need to get some venison for the freezer, we are out.

Thinking the wife has her heart set on something with antlers.

I suppose I left that open for interpretation.... grin

I still haven't put my broadheads on as I'm spending too much time on work stuff. I'm hoping to be hunting by the end of Sept.

I'm looking for at least a 3.5 year old buck but I will have a management tag to potentially use in a nearby zone.

Will be taking my son out for the first time (with the gun). Our zone has always been a lottery area but my son might already have 2 tags since Grandpa says that the Grandson can fill his tag with any buck. I'm actually a little more fired up for gun season THIS year.

Yeah, I'm with Donbo on this one. Yesterday would have been a great day for bow hunting, 45 degrees this morning, but this weekend, too hot for me. I've also got geese coming into a field on a pretty regular basis, and they are just too fun to call in.