• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mountain Men

I'm not impressed by the show at all. It had a lot of potential to be a great show. But instead it's the same old highly edited, over dramatic, and boring garbage as the rest of the shows on its channel. What does everyone else think of it?

i saw the first episode and thought it was terrible. 2 of the 3 are just guys that happen to live in the mountains. 1 lives with his wife in a really nice house with every comfort anyone could want. Sounds like they live maybe an hour from town so getting groceries is just a minor inconvenience rather than a hardship.

The guy out east claims to be a mountain man and 100% self sufficient but the only way he can live that way is because he has people "volunteer" to help him with all of the work. He doesn't do it all himself so he's only self sufficient as long as he has people there to do half the work. Good gig if you can get it I guess.

The trapper in Alaska is the one guy that could be considered a true mountain man as he spends a good chunk of time living out of a small remote cabin as he tends his trap lines. He's pretty much on his own out there but from what i saw he's not really living off the land. He flies in all his food and supplies he'll need during his stay so its more like remote fly in camping.

All three of these guys are a far cry from Dick Proenneke, the guy from the documentary "Alone in the Wilderness". Now that was a mountain man.

I think it was field and stream or outdoor life that did an article about the one in alaska pretty cool. The guy in the southeast is a dummy doesnt pay property tax and cries they wanna take my land

Bad show, youd think they could do a better job. I saw a few good shows on real mountain men and two of these guys wouldnt last. If you have seen the documentry about the man that moved to Alaska from Iowa you know what i mean.

At first I thought this was going to be a good show but after a while it because the same over and over again if they were going to make it with all the bears and wolf that were going to eat them or if their crappy snowmobile or plane was going to leave then to die every show! The real sad show was were the kid trying to learn the Mountain Man ways put to bullets in to a little log a little high at hundred yards and the old guy just wasn't sure he was going to make it. Then he goes out and wounds his Deer? shocked More un-realty c-r-ap! frown

meh.. History Channel.. I remember when I was able to refer to it as the "Hitler Channel" because all they would show was WWII documentaries.. now all it shows is dump.. Bunch of shows to fill morons head with hope in thinking they own something in their basement/garage/attic that'll make'em rich over night

I do like Top Shot and Pawn Stars.

Top Shot is cool because you get to see a lot of cool guns and good shooting. Also as far as reality TV goes its kind of interesting watch Top Shot becuase its full of current and former military and law enforcment that put a little more honor and ethics into it then your normal reality show does.

And Pawn Stars is funny just because of Chumlee.

Good thing you got the tapes RH. Each time I watched it I felt the compulsion to send some money to Public TV. You know, during the break when they say "In order to continue outstanding programing such as this, please send your donation....." Ok, so whats 20 bucks?

actualy i got the tapes from a fellow FM'r awhile back. i also have part 2 recorded on TV. even though i have watched it several times i always turn it on when i want to "feel" as if i'm there. it's amazing the skill this man had and endurance. he had all the friends and companionship he needed right there in the wilderness. good luck.

I was really looking forward to this show too but am not impressed at all. Eustace Conway makes me want to puke. Two things that have really stood out for me is how he had Justin sight in his deer hunting rifle, then when he went hunting he made a terrible shot, but hit the deer. He followed a blood trail but instead of admitting it was a bad shot he said the rifle misfired due to Justin's inexperience with firearms. Then on this last episode when he uses the horses to pull the little tiny firewood hauling pickup truck they say it's a 5 TON truck! LOL, I don't know how those horses could possibly pull that massive thing! I have a name for Eustace Conway. Useless Con Man. Useless because he doesn't seem to do too much work and Con Man because he cons those poor youngsters into doing most of the work for him.

Haha, yeah I caught that about the truck also. Saying a little Toyota flatbed truck weighs 5 tons. That's what I hate about these new shows, they must think all the viewers are idiots! Everything gets exagerated and edited for maximum drama.

all those shows over estimate on anything with weight thinking that most of their viewers have no clue...Eustice Conway definatley sounds and acts like a person that has lived off the land and in the woods a long time...read the book The Last American Man and find out some of the thigs Eustice has accomplished in his life and I think you will be amazed...he might not have a personality that you like but I guaruntee you he has had more adventures in the wilderness then most of us could even dream about!!