• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Great Lakes fish?

So, with the many different species swimming in these giant bodies of water, whats your fav?

For me, I am addicted to catching big Lake Trout.. Be it spring through winter, I chase them as much as I can.. Just love how tough the big dudes and gals are when you latch onto them, especially jigging. Nothing quite like a 20lb + fish on a jig stick in deep water. Its a riot.

King's would be mine also, but it's been a long time since i have caught any large one's. i'm speaking of Lake Superior here only. never have fished any other great lake. i remember the good old day's in the 80's when we had good run's. it was 1988 when my brother got a former state record out of the Babtism. but the day's of the 30 lb plus salmon on the northshore are over i think. Steelhead are always close to my heart and Coho's are certainly tasty. good luck.

I'm with Joel, I like the acrobatic nonsense of those big steelhead but the hard charging runs of big kings is a close second. Nothing like watching a planer board sotp dead and just get buried only to see a steelhead dancing across the surface cartwheeling along. I haven't experienced deep jigging for lake trout but have done some fall casting for kings in the skinny water with lighter tackle and that can really be a riot as well.

Tunrevir~

That's a tough one. I have had wonderful Walleye fishing on Erie. The acrobatics of the Steelhead are amazing, I love it when they are jumping around messing up all your lines and you can't figure out which rod they are on! One of my favorite memories is of a steelhead that hit a flasher fly on a downrigger 90 feet down and rocketed to the surface made about 4 jumps right at the boat the last one landing in the net. I think it was over in less than 20 seconds. The power of the Kings is tough to beat, i still have not caught one bigger than prob 23 or 24 lbs. Sometimes even a 15 pounder will give ya fits. It's close but prob have to go with Kings.

I live on Lake Nipigon--within 3 miles of where the world record Speckled trout was caught--its still a good fishing hole. I've boated 3 lakers over 50lbs.

I tell people this all the time. Go to the mouth of the Nipigon river on Lake Superior right after a rain in early October. Drift a spawn bag or hotshot a rapala and hit a steelhead fresh in from the big lake. Them babies are hard as a rock and will tail walk for a mile. They will jump eye high when you're standing in the boat. Man that is some real fishing!