• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

changed the oil today

I changed the oil in my F150 today and the Mrs. said it was foolish to do it myself because I could have gotten it done for $20 at a quick lube place. I used Valvoline 10-40 at about $4 a quart and used 5.5 quarts. A Fram mid level filter cost $5 so I have $27 into it plus a quarter for some Sorball. How could a place beat that price with quality oil and filter?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a diesel, and it will cost me around 80 bucks a pop, and i buy a years supply of filters at Napa on there half off sale, and run Cenex synthetic blend oil, 5-40 in the winter, and 15-40 in the summer... and i do it myself... I've never had a shop do it on this truck... can't imagine its cheap...

The Chev dealer close to me does oil changes, including a 27 point inspection and a car wash for $29.99. A real good deal considering my Trailblazer takes 7 quarts to change (5 quarts are included in the price, but the dealer throws in the other 2 quarts since I'm a frequent customer). I can't buy the oil and filter for that price, never mind the car wash. The reason they can do it for that price is that they buy in bulk, have equipment and facilities that allow them to change oil quickly, and pay the guy doing the changes $8/hr. If he changes oil on 3 cars/hr the labor cost of the oil change is next to nothing.

I look at it this way. I can find better deals if I take my truck into the shop. I'll do that in the winter because I don't want to do it outside in the cold. In the summer, I'll pay a little extra to do it myself because it gives me a chance to get under the truck, keep an eye on the condition of the undercarriage, and I know that it was done well. You really can't go wrong either way.

OK, I guess the issue really is what sort of quality you're getting at a shop. I could be wrong but I can't see that they can buy the same quality oil for enough less than me to pay their overhead and make some money. Maybe the thought at the shops is that if they get me in the door for an oil change they can probably count on finding something else, or turn me into a regular customer.

OK, I guess the issue really is what sort of quality you're getting at a shop. I could be wrong but I can't see that they can buy the same quality oil for enough less than me to pay their overhead and make some money.

They are considered a distributor, so they are able to buy the oil for about the same price Napa, Fleet Farm, etc are able to buy it for. So yes, they are still able to make a profit, especially when they buy it in 55 gallon drums the price they pay is pennies, compared to what you would pay for the same amount in single quarts.

Ford has the works package for $29.95 after $10 mail in rebate. Oil and filter, tire rotate, and inspection.

This is true and there is more.

My dealer also checks all the fluid levels, tire pressure, headlights, wipers, signals, horn, brake lights, air filter(s), measures tire wear, load tests the battery, and services grease fittings. I didn't think there were any grease fittings on vehicles anymore but my 2001 F150 had two on the steering linkage that most people didn't know existed.

How many of us DIYers actually go through all that? I know I didn't when I serviced my own. I changed the oil and greased fittings I was aware of and that was it. For $29.95 I'll hire it done now.

On top of that, I no longer have to deal with the waste oil and filter.

Also, that being said, most dealers and quick lube places ARE NOT using a quality filter. Most of these places buy their filters by the case and are paying $2 or less for the filters. I still change my own oil, and will continue to. However, if I was going to bring it somewhere else, I would still pay the extra $20 and get the better quality stuff. I still try to change my oil about every 2k miles. Even if you buy your car new, and drive it to 200k, the cost of oil changes with the better quality stuff would still add up to less than the cost of the engine. If you want to use a "quality filter", look into a Wix or a Baldwin. Fram may be the best seller, but that is only due to the fact that they advertise the most. I sold car parts for a long time. We cut open about a dozen new filters of different brands and compared them. You wouldn't believe the difference unless you saw it. The dealer may use the oil change as a way to get you in the door, and the extra checks are nice, I agree. But, most will upgrade you for an additional charge if you ask. If you still like that service, bring it in and do it, but ask for the better stuff, it really is worth it.

Also, that being said, most dealers and quick lube places ARE NOT using a quality filter. Most of these places buy their filters by the case and are paying $2 or less for the filters. I still change my own oil, and will continue to. However, if I was going to bring it somewhere else, I would still pay the extra $20 and get the better quality stuff. I still try to change my oil about every 2k miles. Even if you buy your car new, and drive it to 200k, the cost of oil changes with the better quality stuff would still add up to less than the cost of the engine. If you want to use a "quality filter", look into a Wix or a Baldwin. Fram may be the best seller, but that is only due to the fact that they advertise the most. I sold car parts for a long time. We cut open about a dozen new filters of different brands and compared them. You wouldn't believe the difference unless you saw it. The dealer may use the oil change as a way to get you in the door, and the extra checks are nice, I agree. But, most will upgrade you for an additional charge if you ask. If you still like that service, bring it in and do it, but ask for the better stuff, it really is worth it.
Ford dealers will use Motorcraft filters and oil. Do you have proof that these filters and the oil do not meet or exceed Manufacturer’s specifications? I find that very hard to believe.

I still try to change my oil about every 2k miles. Even if you buy your car new, and drive it to 200k, the cost of oil changes with the better quality stuff would still add up to less than the cost of the engine.
I change mine every 100 miles. Even with that, it costs me less than a new engine.

Good to see sarcasm still has a home here. I will slow down and do the math for you...What I was saying is that every time you change oil, even at $20 extra/change and changing every 2k miles would equal 100 oil changes in 200k miles. Over the life of a vehicle, that would add up to $2000. That is still less than any dealer is going to charge you with labor to install a new engine if you abuse your vehicle and need a new one. Did I type that slowly enough for you now?

BobT-not saying that the Ford dealer using Motorcraft products isn't using something that MEETS their standards...what I am saying is that there are other products out there that exceed manufacturers standards, regardless of the brand of your vehicle. Just because it is OEM, does not mean it is the best product. I work for a heavy equipment dealer, there are aftermarket products out there that work better on our stuff than what we have. Look at some independant tests or better yet, if you are so inclined to be a skeptic, cut a couple apart and look at them. No games there, you can see it. Did you know that the recommendation that some GM dealers used to recommend on their oil changes was 7 to 10 thousand miles, on conventional oil (not synthetic)? Do you also know that AC Delco filters are some of the cheapest made on the market?

I change my oil too using Amzoil and Wix filters. The 2 times I had a dealership change it on new vehicles, they overfilled it each time.

Over filled it as per what?

The inaccurate stick you push into the side of the engine? That could indicate a quart off or more, depending if the tube was inserted all the way, or if someone trimmed the tube itself.

I would drain it, then fill it to the OE capacity is, then mark your dipstick, maybe you have been underfilling it??

Good to see sarcasm still has a home here. I will slow down and do the math for you...What I was saying is that every time you change oil, even at $20 extra/change and changing every 2k miles would equal 100 oil changes in 200k miles. Over the life of a vehicle, that would add up to $2000. That is still less than any dealer is going to charge you with labor to install a new engine if you abuse your vehicle and need a new one. Did I type that slowly enough for you now?

mnviking28; I'll try to slow down also. If you look a little closer I was not responding to you but to Skunkedagain. whistlewhistle

You can spend all the extra money you want on filters that "exceed" manufacturers specs and it probably wont amount to much in longer engine life. Filters that meet manufacturers specs will normally do all that is necessary to ensure long life of your engine.

I've rebuilt a lot of motors in my life. I can tell you first hand that few, VERY few, were ever damaged by a problem with an oil filter. I've seen many (gas)crankshafts with 300,000+ and diesels with easily double that amount that were still in spec and got to that point using off the shelf filters from multiple manufacturers.

The number one cause of engine failure is overheating, followed by lubrication, which is most often a lack thereof caused by low oil level, not a restricted filter. The oil contamination that causes failures most often is from coolant contaminating the oil, no filter of any grade will guard against that.

Oil and filters changed on a regular basis will give long life to most vehicles unless due to design there are other inherent problems.

I'm not saying to not use a good filter, simply that using one doesnt automatically assure you of any longer life of your vehicle's engine especially if you neglect the other things.

You can spend all the extra money you want on filters that "exceed" manufacturers specs and it probably wont amount to much in longer engine life. Filters that meet manufacturers specs will normally do all that is necessary to ensure long life of your engine.

I've rebuilt a lot of motors in my life. I can tell you first hand that few, VERY few, were ever damaged by a problem with an oil filter. I've seen many (gas)crankshafts with 300,000+ and diesels with easily double that amount that were still in spec and got to that point using off the shelf filters from multiple manufacturers.

The number one cause of engine failure is overheating, followed by lubrication, which is most often a lack thereof caused by low oil level, not a restricted filter. The oil contamination that causes failures most often is from coolant contaminating the oil, no filter of any grade will guard against that.

Oil and filters changed on a regular basis will give long life to most vehicles unless due to design there are other inherent problems.

I'm not saying to not use a good filter, simply that using one doesnt automatically assure you of any longer life of your vehicle's engine especially if you neglect the other things.

THank you.