• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

changed the oil today

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy there Airjer. Of course people "take advantage of the super low oil change prices". That's called being a good consumer. People price shop, find the best deal for the best price and they shop there.

If shops sell at that price with the hopes of making an upsell and they don't upsell, that's their choice. They are probably shopping for the lowest price because they can hardly afford an important maintenance item like an oil change, let alone something as frivolous as a cabin filter.

Nature of the beast. If you don't want people shopping and "taking advantage" of low prices, then the shops shouldn't price it so low. HIgh quality at a low price, that's what we all want right?

I guess I agree with AirJer on this one, at least to some extent.

IMO one of the problems with consumers is that all they do is price shop and seem to ignore the quality side of the equation. I'll spend extra to do business with a local merchant most of the time. My example is buying a rod and reel at a local bait store for maybe 10% more simply to try to keep the business open during the slow March period.

If you don't know what you're doing get an expert to help out. Darn few folks know how to tell if their ball joints are kaflooey. Darn few know how to write a will. You can probably paint a bedroom yourself but I doubt you could build an addition. Knowledge is a valuable thing. The fact that folks on this HSOforum give it away for free is rare.

Easy there Airjer. Of course people "take advantage of the super low oil change prices". That's called being a good consumer. People price shop, find the best deal for the best price and they shop there.

If shops sell at that price with the hopes of making an upsell and they don't upsell, that's their choice. They are probably shopping for the lowest price because they can hardly afford an important maintenance item like an oil change, let alone something as frivolous as a cabin filter.

Nature of the beast. If you don't want people shopping and "taking advantage" of low prices, then the shops shouldn't price it so low. HIgh quality at a low price, that's what we all want right?

So you agree that a car with bald tires, cords showing, no taillights, no break lights, ruptured break line, grinding brakes, dripping oil, misfiring, front end that is ready to fall off, etc should be able to come in, take advantage of the low oil change price, and head out unto to freeway to continue there day?

You've seen my commuter? Ha Ha!

I would say, if you're seeing vehicles like that, you're priced to low. They know there's something wrong with their vehicle, but refuse to pay to fix it.

Price them to make a profit. You'll have a better chance of upselling a customer that doesn't flinch at a $35-40 oil change.

I think there should be mandatory safety inspections done on vehicles in order to get tabs.

I think we all know where this is going to go...

"The Government is big enough already!", etc, etc,...

Send this thread on down to silly town! grin

Unfortunately mandatory inspections are only required on CDL vehicles. No brake lights or taillights are against the law and no working brakes too, but you are not the law.

There would be nothing wrong with you telling that person that you will not work on their car (cheap oil change) because it is not road-worthy and you will not accept liability for their vehicle.

I used to work in tree care. People would want the one broken branch taken off, but they didn't want to spend the money to remove the rest of the giant rotten tree hanging over their house. Either you provide them what they want and risk the liability or you turn down the work to protect yourself.

They already do require mandatory inspections in states like New York. Go ask a NY resident how they like those inspections. You'll also find that everyone knows of a place to go that will give you a pass on certain things so that you can get your inspection sticker.

I dont want it to go over board, but some vehicles should be able to be black flagged. I have personally had a car in for an oil change, and the tie rod end would lift right off the ball scocket. I brought the customer back and showed how I could lift it off there, he just said to put it back on, and he will do it next oil change, we warned him not to take it drive it out of the lot. Any how, it came back for its next oil change, with black tape wrapped around it to hold it on, and he still didnt buy it. Some vehicles need to be removed from the road, before they kill someone.

Love doing it myself I check my fluids while it dips out, check air pressure/rotate tires, hit the zirks that look dry, check the rate of battery life with a bubble tester. yes it may take me more time but I know what I did and keep tabs on a peice of tape the gets stuck by the hood latch. I recycle the oil the next time I go till the auto store

Reminds me a lot of the guy that came into the auto parts store that I used to work at and bought rear brake pads for a front wheel drive GM, didn't understand how to get the calipers rotated back in, so he took them off and put them in a vise. Of course, this still didn't work and he wrecked them. His response was to return the brake pads-I asked what he was going to do, and he told me he was going to "cap" the rear brake lines and just use the front. Great idea...goes back to my idea that there should be a license to own wrenches.

...There would be nothing wrong with you telling that person that you will not work on their car (cheap oil change) because it is not road-worthy and you will not accept liability for their vehicle....

Yep. I'd say you don't even have to give them the liability reason. If they ask why, maybe saying something like "your vehicle is unsafe and I don't want it on the road with me" would be a little more enlightening to the car owner.

2011 Minnesota Statutes

169.47 UNSAFE EQUIPMENT.

Subdivision 1.Misdemeanor; exceptions.

(a) It is unlawful and punishable as hereinafter provided for any person to drive or for the owner to cause or knowingly permit to be driven on any highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person, or which does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with such lamps and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this chapter, or which is equipped in any manner in violation of this chapter, or for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required under this chapter.

There are more defective equipment sections in Minn. Stat. 169.46 - .75

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169