• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tragic outcome from refilling 1 lb. propane tanks

mtbucket

Thoughts and prayers to this man and his family. It makes me wonder if he was one of the guys that said " I have done it for years with no problems".

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.

Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.

Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries

Sad story. Makes me think of another accident at Waconia Farm Supply a couple years back. According to the Star Trib an employee was walking up to their filling station when one of the tanks blew. Needless to say it was way to early for that kid (he was only 17 I think) to go.

I will say that I do refill tanks. It does save more than a couple bucks. I personally would never consider refilling my tanks anywhere near my house or a vehicle. When I refill my tanks, I do it at the end of my driveway a good distance from any structure, and I also am alone. It is everyones preference. I do know the risks, but I am as careful as can possibly be. Very sad story, and for the gentleman that lost his wife, I am sure he wishes that he had lost his life instead. We all take risks in our lives, whether your filling a 1lb propane tank, or walking/driving out on the ice.

I just think there are too many variables when doing this. Sure guys have been doing it for years without any issue (this guy was probably one of them).

BUT, these are NOT designed to be refilled. They are overspeced for safety. That isn't really a bleeder valve, it's a DOT safety valve.

Basically those that are refilling are just taking the risk with the safety spec built into the tank.

I agree though, do this at your own risk.

It's not very economical yet, but Manchester Tank has started marketing a refillable 1lb cylinder. I think they are about $30. If you do a Google search you can find more info on those.

Even refillable tanks come with a limited life rating and are not suppose to be refilled after exceeding that limit. 1# tanks are not rated to be refilled. Doing so is no different than venturing out on ice that does not meet minimum thickness ratings. It's a [PoorWordUsage]-shoot on safety.

"Manchester Tank will provide equipment for filling the refillable 1 lb. cylinders only to licensed LP gas dealers and

distributors and will not make this equipment available for purchase by the general public"

Taken from their HSOforum

I hesitated posting this at first, as I don't want to appear unsympathetic to those affected by this tragedy. But perhaps, going forward, it can serve as a warning to others.

This was not only a predictable and not at all unexpected outcome, it is repeatedly predicted every time a thread comes up in these forums discussing the practice of refilling the 1-pound tanks.

And as long as people continue this ill-advised activity, this kind of thing will happen again. The real tragedy is that it was predictable and avoidable.

What a horrible thing to experience.

I hope he recovers quickly.

Does anybody know when it happened?

We drove right by there on Sunday afternoon. Not that I was paying 100% attention, but I didn't notice anything?

This is just horrible. Compounded by the man will/might recover and realize he accidentally killed his wife by doing this practice. Tragic.

Many, many moons ago when I worked for a gas station as a teenager, part of my job was refilling 20# tanks brought in by customers (from the large tank we had in the back). I absolutely *hated* the task, was always dreadful fearful of it going kablooey. Hated it.

I'm perfectly content paying the extra cost of just purchasing and properly-recycling the 1# tanks when I need to use one. The extra dollars are my risk insurance at it blowing up in my face and ruining the rest of my week.

No mistaking it, it is a terrible out come. Things to think about...do not fill tanks in an enclosed area near any heat source (open flame or heating elements) I could see a overstressed tank rupturing but I really don't think it is possible to just ignite all on it's own, you need three things:

1. oxygen

2. heat

3. fuel.

Yes yes yes,it comes with hazards and is not recomended. some prefer not to do re-fill tanks, ok fine don't do it. My sister won't go down town because some one got mugged there.

The logic implied by some, if I'm reading right would prohibit any one from doing any of the following as well...

Ride a 4 wheeler, snowmobile, bicycle or any moving vehicle with out a helmet.

walk or drive on ice.

cross the street without a cross walk.

Use condoms or any birth control.

smoke

drink

lean a folding ladder against a wall or stand on the top.

use a hammer or any tool without safety glasses.

use a propane heater in an encloses portable, or fish house.

These are just examples.

Lets focus on the tragedy. Let's stress safety and learn from mistakes.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but not their personal "facts".