• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tragic outcome from refilling 1 lb. propane tanks

mtbucket

There is a big difference here. Look at the potential benefits versus the potential losses of filling your own one pound tanks.

The obvious benefit is that you save $2-$3 per one pound tank. The loss? Potentially your life.

I would not take the gamble. It isn't worth it to me.

but I really don't think it is possible to just ignite all on it's own, you need three things:

1. oxygen

2. heat

3. fuel.

You have all that - just by filling it. The oxygen and fuel are there, and for heat - all you need is a ruptured tank piece to hit concrete, a metal bench, a hammer, the light bulb overhead - or something in the vicinity - to give a spark to set it all off.

Trying to equate this to things like riding a vehicle, driving on ice, using condoms (seriously?!) - is borderline absurd.

And yeah - I wouldn't use any tool without safety glasses. That's just a given. The short time it takes to put on glasses is worth the risk of losing my eyesight or spending 8 weeks in and out of hospitals while doctors try to find a metal shaving sliver in your eyeball (happened!) and can't tell the difference between their scratches and the sliver anymore.

I think the process of rupturing could easily result in a spark that could ignite the fuel.
It is certainly possible.

I used to refill, but I don't anymore. Those little tanks really are pieces of carp.

I thought I was saving money too, but I just don't go through enough in a year to justify my time spent refilling, much less the risk.

this is a very sad deal as I am positive you ask the man in this accident if his saving a few bucks was worth it and he will say NO. Like it has been mentioned these tanks are not ment to be refilled. I wouldn't even let a refilled 1 lber travel with me as all it is is a potential bomb waiting to blow!! Propane is such a dangerous gas to be messing with that it is unbelievable that people would put there own lives at such a high risk with such a small reward. To those that do this save yourself or your family and friends issues down the road and go buy a 5, 10, or 20lb tank as they will save you money in the long run also but won't put your life or others at risk..

I have been filling one pounders for a few years now- always outside in my yard...never had any problems until last week when I was using a re-filled for my lantern. Just a few minutes after starting my lantern, I smelled something burning. I looked behind me and wow, there my lantern was on fire with flames all around it. I quickly put my gloves on, grabbed it, tossed it outside and threw snow on it so it wouldn't explode. This was pretty scary, especially since my daughter was in the fish house with me.

I believe a leaky valve on the canister was the cause of it, letting liquid propane drip out because after I re-filled it, I could hear and smell it had a small leak.

Now, this was nothing new to me- it's happened a couple of other times before... I simply push the valve down with a screw driver and it corrects itself and away I go. But I believe the valve on this canister malfunctioned again when I connected it to my lantern causing it to leak liquid propane while the lantern was burning.

Maybe I'm wrong- maybe the mantels were shot and this caused it to start on fire, but whatever the case, after that scary incident, I decided I will no longer be re-filling my one pound cylinders.

Ringtailhunter; X2 2c

So where do you guys transport these bottles that are illegal to transport in the 1st place on your way to the lake.

Outside the vehicle on the roof rack?

More than few people have had explossions in there fishouse's that we know of and I'm sure in there vehicles because of this non-sense.

X PLUS a GAZZILION on the sound advice in this thread on why not to do this absurd practice!

Its not my place to judge what you do on your own, if you do want to do this at least make sure no other people are near by. Its one thing to knowingly put yourself at risk but please be considerate of bystanders.

Good luck.

Couple years ago in my portable, gas ran out of my buddy heater, changed the tank in the house while screwing it in small leak of propane and poof house engulfed with flames for a quick second... lesson never change tanks inside of house! and this was with a brand new tank.. not much of a fan of 1 pounders my self

Once I came home from fleet farm with a pair of 1 pounders for fishing the next day. They were both new and full. When I got out to the shop the next morning one of them was nearly empty, just from sitting on the table.

Wow, I just realized this thread is 10 years old and completely dead like grandma after pops off'd her cause she was always nagging him for the past 60+ year!  What?!? Is it still too soon?  Seriously, right  about now anyone reading my dead thread posting is one of two types of people.  Someone who fills these single use tanks and also uses the same 30¢ Bic single blade razor to shave every morning til he finds it in the shower cause his ol' lady's using it now, or someone who's actively not exercising this practice.  If you are someone who's looking for economy then use rechargable batteries in a flashlight instead of a propane lantern, or wear an extra jacket and forego the the Buddy Heater.   To the John Rambo's who suggest how safe they play it and how they won't put others in harm's way amidst their indiscretions you're that selfish a$s that doesn't think about ones family and the loss they'll feel if something were to happen to you or your buddies who know your an a$s but still like your grumpy company.  They'll miss you too!  I'm sorry but a$s or not your life is worth more than $5.  Maybe not in Brazil but I'm speaking from America.  Single use is like that fire damper that saves your life in a commercial building fire or the depends underwear you have on right now.  There are too many options available to warrant this type of risk.  It's always a tradjedy until it happens to your or your family...Then it's a reality check.  Churchill is often mis credited as well as a couple others but Santayana said it first and best when he said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." And now a paperclip has a prop. 68 or [PoorWordUsage] that stupid California warning is on everything...just use your BiC single blade a few more weeks rather than refill a 2 pound tank or better yet buy a 3 pound steel welded one piece tank and refill that.  Or wear a warmer jacket.  It's not worth losing a life over...Even if it's just your sorry life.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:55 PM, SikSixSS said:

Wow, I just realized this thread is 10 years old and completely dead like grandma after pops off'd her cause she was always nagging him for the past 60+ year!  What?!? Is it still too soon?  Seriously, right  about now anyone reading my dead thread posting is one of two types of people.  Someone who fills these single use tanks and also uses the same 30¢ Bic single blade razor to shave every morning til he finds it in the shower cause his ol' lady's using it now, or someone who's actively not exercising this practice.  If you are someone who's looking for economy then use rechargable batteries in a flashlight instead of a propane lantern, or wear an extra jacket and forego the the Buddy Heater.   To the John Rambo's who suggest how safe they play it and how they won't put others in harm's way amidst their indiscretions you're that selfish a$s that doesn't think about ones family and the loss they'll feel if something were to happen to you or your buddies who know your an a$s but still like your grumpy company.  They'll miss you too!  I'm sorry but a$s or not your life is worth more than $5.  Maybe not in Brazil but I'm speaking from America.  Single use is like that fire damper that saves your life in a commercial building fire or the depends underwear you have on right now.  There are too many options available to warrant this type of risk.  It's always a tradjedy until it happens to your or your family...Then it's a reality check.  Churchill is often mis credited as well as a couple others but Santayana said it first and best when he said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." And now a paperclip has a prop. 68 or [PoorWordUsage] that stupid California warning is on everything...just use your BiC single blade a few more weeks rather than refill a 2 pound tank or better yet buy a 3 pound steel welded one piece tank and refill that.  Or wear a warmer jacket.  It's not worth losing a life over...Even if it's just your sorry life.

SikSixSS welcome to the forum.  Yes there are some old threads on here but it's good when folks come by and add their thoughts.  👍