• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck Down!!!!

Well, this is a long story. I'll do my best to keep it short. I shot a buck we call "candy cane". We have known this deer since summer of 2008. At that time he was a basket 8 pt that scored about 90". He had a split in his right ear making him very distinguishable. Then in 2009 he was back as a 3 year old who scored around 115". Saw him all the time on camera's that summer and fall and during deer hunts. In 2010 we saw him but very little. I think that year we only had 3 trail cam pics of him. He was clearly living on the neighbors property or somewhere else. We even thought maybe he got shot. Then this summer we put the cams up and he was everywhere and all the time. Lots of pics from august and almost all during the day. Then sept 1st hit and everything was middle of the night. So thats a quick history on this deer. He always was a nice 8 pt. But never got massive antlers for his age. He now is 5.5 years old.

Now, jump ahead to Friday, Sept. 30th. I arrive to my stand late, 6:15 to be exact. Food plot looks great. Weather and wind are perfect. At about 6:50 I here deer coming to my west. I never see them and they are close and for some reason hang up just off the food plot. Finally, at 7:05 i see the deer. Its candy cane and he's leading a group of 5 does at 40 yds coming right to me. I couldn't beleive it. It walked two steps into the winter rye buried his face and started eating for around 1 minute never lifting his head. He is 35 yds perfectly broadside. I don't like to shoot that far idealy but i was losing light and there were a lot of eyeballs and ears. I decided to take the shot. I took my time and squeezed it off. THe deer jumped 3 hops and died. I couldn't believe it. He was down in literally 3 seconds. I can't tell you how pumped I was. I ran over to him only to see that the shot was a little bit back. Turns out the shot was only 5 inches in front of the diaphram. The arrow went right through the middle of the lliver. I always thought liver shots made it further than 3 seconds but I wasn't going to complain. He was mine!!!

We brought him back to the cabin. He weighed 270 lbs on the foot and 220 dressed. He scored 132" on the money and had a 20" inside spread. I was very happy. Here are a few trail pics and the deer!! Thanks for reading.....

Picture4943.jpg

016.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg026.jpg021.jpg