• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadhead question

dukhnt

I bought some NAP Bloodrunners. They said they fly like field points. Unfortunately the Practice broadheads fly no where near my field points. They hit about four inches low at 20 yards. I really want a broadhead that flies like my field points. So my question to you guys, Which broadhead flies most like a field point? Thanks.

For fixed blade broadheads it's the slicktrixs or montecs. For retactables I like the NAP spitfires or the rage.

With that said a little tinkering with the bow should get them impacting the same spot.

The shot group is key. If you are shooting respectable groups but the impact is off from your aiming point, simply make adjustments to your sight. Or if you wish, continue.

If you are not grouping well, there are a few adjustments you can make to your bow. If you followed the paper tune, these adjustments will be very slight and have an insignificant effect on your field points. The following will only work if your arrows are properly spined or slightly overspined. If your arrow is underspined, broadheads become extremely difficult, if not impossible, to tune.

If the broadhead hits below the field point, move the string nock down.

If the broadhead hits above the field point, move the string nock up.

If the broadhead hits left of the field point, move your rest right, or soften the cushion button spring tension.

If the broad head hits right of the field point, move your rest left, or stiffen the cushion button spring tension.

The minor adjustments you make for broadhead tuning will have very little effect on field point flight.

Not to sound like a d#$K H23D but cant we put a sticky at the top of this forum with the some of the basic info that alot of people on here are looking for that way they can get answers to there questions rite away, Thing I am talking about are the same things we cover every year. Such as importance of a properly tuned bow, A bow that fits corectly. having the right arrow. why mathews are the best! things of that nature. we can all chime in for about a week with our suggestions and then the moderators can place them in some type of order and disable comments that way every body is using the proper methods.

All broadheads will state that on their selling package, take it with a grain of salt.

If your new broadheads are grouping good, just make a sight adjustment. If they are real sparotic on your target do what was mentioned above.

Any other issues, just one word for you "Rage"

The field points and broadheads are the same weight. I tried my buddy's practice rage's and they hit like the field points. I would hate to spend another hundred on broadheads and practice heads. But if that is what I have to do then so be it.

I hate the thought of how much the Rages cost, but they are clearly the most accurate broadhead I've shot. So I guess I finally decided it's stupid to spend $800-$1000 on the rest of the rig and try to save $20 on broadheads.

NWBuck

As a brand new shooter, I will say that I shoot Rage also, and what I have found is that the practice ones really do shoot close to a field point, and being new, the consistency is really nice. I like the Rage.

Haven't had any problem with them opening up either, my first shot at a live deer in my first season bowhunting resulted in a kill that only went 15 yards...and the deer fever caused me to hit a little far back, but the Rage really worked well...like I said, he only went 15 yards...

So I guess I finally decided it's stupid to spend $800-$1000 on the rest of the rig and try to save $20 on broadheads. NWBuck

Kind of like the guy in the Ranger looking for the cheapest gas on the way to the lake... grin I'm laughing because it's so true for a lot of us. It's easy to spend the first thousand and then we're watching the paper for sales on broadheads, arrows, targets, etc.

Even I'm starting to consider the Rage for this coming fall.

The field points and broadheads are the same weight. I tried my buddy's practice rage's and they hit like the field points. I would hate to spend another hundred on broadheads and practice heads. But if that is what I have to do then so be it.

For a fixed blade, the Shuttle T locks fly REAL nice. This of course is only useful if you're not into the Rage. smile

I think the Rage is a very good head and they obviously have a great following. I don't use it for a couple reasons, 1. I don't like to pay $14/broadhead, and 2. I've watched a lot of hunting DVDs where the hunters just don't seem to get great penetration. I'm shooting between 55 and 62 pounds with my two bows and worry that my arrows won't penetrate well if I happen to hit a heavier part of the rib or the shoulder. I realize that many heads have trouble penetrating the shoulder so maybe that shouldn't be a concern. So you have to ask yourself is one 2" hole better than 2 smaller holes??? Unless you are shooting a heavy bow with a long draw length, then you probably have nothing to worry about. I hunt with Rocket Steelheads and have had no problems shooting through deer with them.

I see Rage's advertising campaign has been paying off... wink

One word of advice, and take it for what it is worth, but I would suggest that a sharp, cut on contact, fixed blade broadhead is the best head a person can shoot.

I have used Rage heads (with very good success) in the past and still have a few in the tackle box, but I have heard/read about far too many disaster stories with the Rage head from talented and experienced archers that I figured "why chance it" when the buck of a lifetime is standing at 20 yards. There is a reason that fixed blade broadheads have been in use for thousands of years - they work. A sharp, well constructed fixed blade broadhead simply won't fail unless the shooter causes the failure. Is there anything wrong with the Rage head on deer sized game? Not in most situations, but I'd be very disappointed to find myself in that situation where there is a failure due to the mechanical design (blades don't open, open in flight, poor penetration due to aggressive cutting angle, etc.)

Just my opinion.

+1 InTheNorthwoods. Rages do an awesome job when they work right. However, they don't work correctly too often and that's because they are not well designed, IMO. I totally agree with InTheNorthwoods, but I will add that there are other mechanical heads that are of much better design and are not the lest bit prone to mechanical failure.

Same here guys, like the rage heads, used them for a long time but I just don't trust them as much as a good ol muzzy. Had one not open me, the deer only went 60 yards because I center punched her lungs but it could have easily been a nightmare.

Ive shot tricks for a bunch of years and will not go back. They didnt shoot exactly like my fieldpoints but as sniper said i tinkered with the rest instead of my nock.

There is a bunch of things to consider when shooting fixed heads, especially large cutting diameter heads. Arrow spined too weak, nocks too tight or too loose, hand torque. Any tuning issue will be more noticeable. Paper tuning is only a start. Bareshaft tuning is for perfectionist if you have time. Broadhead tuning isnt too difficult if you want to stick with fixed heads.

Like some im not a fan of rage due to the lack of penetration. Ive personally seen tricks go through both shoulder blades on a buck and can reuse the head