• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck of a lifetime

Scoot

I'm curious to hear what people would consider a "buck of a lifetime". What kind of buck would you consider to be a "buck of a lifetime"? The kind of buck where, if you were to shoot it, you'd be able to say that you'd die happy never shooting one bigger...

For me, I'd say it's about a 170" class whitetail. Or, a 180" muley. (those numbers are for gross score-- nets are for fishing!)

BTW, your answer doesn't have to be a number- maybe just describe it if that's easier or if a number doesn't capture your answer.

I want to have a Whitetail buck harvest on film. If I film it I do not really care too much about the score.

I really do not have a score that would satisfy me, I really think the deer means more about the situation and the memories. I have a 120" class on the wall on he is embedded in my memory forever.

Mark

I agree with the situational aspect. I truly believe I've most likely taken my MN buck of a lifetime. If I'm ever lucky enough to take one larger than 180", whether it be in Ripley, out-of-state, or wherever, it probably wouldn't be as special as the one with history taken near home.

My "next" buck of a lifetime will be my first with a bow smile and we'll go from there! I don't have a truly big one yet anyway, so I got a chance at my biggest and best buck every time out wink

I guess mine would be a buck that I had to work hard for and earn. What I mean by it, is putting in my time scouting, settings stands and hunting that buck that has eluded me for a long time. It would be one that I could look at the mount years from now and feel proud of it.

Granted if a 30 pointer ran out 10 yards in front of me and waited around till I finally hit it after 15 shots, I wouldn't complain too much about it either smile Oh wait that is the dream I wake up from when I am sitting in my stand wink

I agree with the situational aspect. I truly believe I've most likely taken my MN buck of a lifetime. If I'm ever lucky enough to take one larger than 180", whether it be in Ripley, out-of-state, or wherever, it probably wouldn't be as special as the one with history taken near home.

Did you get that one you had trail cam pics of? If so I would love to see the pic.

I shot a buck that grossed 180" in Camp Ripley in 2004. Don't think I'll ever get one bigger. It is my "animal" of a lifetime for sure. I shot a gross 160" in Iowa on public land last fall and was honestly just as thrilled with that one. Having shot what I think is my lifetime buck has NOT diminished my excitement at all for bowhunting. Nothing better than being in the woods in early November.

Something over 190" anywhere would be it. But I dont think a 190" out of state would have the same feeling as a 160 where ive been growing up hunting. I shot a 130" 8 pt at our land 3 years ago and while its no where near the biggest deer out there, its by far the biggest any of us have shot there.

On all the public land I hunt I would have to say a 150 to 160 would be considered a buck of a lifetime. However I don't want to sell myself short either, the odds are long but you never know when you might bump into a giant much larger than that.

This crazy bluff country buck on public land I call Bowser.. If he aint dead yet, of course. Seen him 2 yrs in a row. Last I saw, he must've been in the high 130's. Pretty nice for my 2nd yr huntin whitetails with a bow. If alive, I'm sure he'll break 140" this yr and if I dun followed him for 3 yrs and whacked him with the title of being my 1st whitetail buck (at 140 +) - that would be my buck of a lifetime.

I'd tell that story over and over until someone punches me.