• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loving the new iPilot

Random guy

After a few days of testing out the new Terrova MinnKota iPilot on the Rainy River I have to say if you do not have one of these you need one. When they first came out I figured they where most likely a lot of hype and doubted they worked as advertised. I was correct they do not work as advertised they work ten times better. From the spot lock pinning the boat down in current with cross winds and the advanced autopilot teamed up with cruise control makes fishing rivers ultra easy. The only time I had to touch the trolling motor was to turn it on or off!

I have no idea what is inside that thing, it could be mind reading miniature aliens running it from what I seen but who cares the unit works and works well. It is like having somebody run the boat for me and all I have to do is fish. Used to be turning to light a cigar I would be blown off course and sideways; today I walked to the back of the boat and tied on new jigs had a couple bites of a sandwich before going back fishing and never had to do a thing.

Good job MinnKota!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im with ya Johny. The few times I have been able to use the Ipilot I have been very impressed. The thing that surprised me is the battery life on them. I thought it would eat up batteries like crazy but they are good on them. My next trolling motor will have the Ipilot.

Thats how I Roll with the I pilot.. Walk around, tie up, grab a bite to eat, Tie wife and kids line and never touch the button. boat does what i want it to do. I found it really made the way I fish much easier,Two thumbs way up for the I-Pilot.

yes, it is awesome. best thing since fish finders.

especially with kids, awesome on how hands free it is. just spot lock, tie new hooks/bait on, and keep fishing.

best part is, spot lock is not the only awesome feature on there.

haven't used the trolling track feature, but works great. Love the cruise control, just set the speed and go. but my ultimate fav is the spot lock. rarely use the anchor at all.

if i had to chose between my HB SI fishfinder and the Terrova with ipilot. ipilot hands down.

The I-Pilot system is a very good product. A hot item as an upgrade, and fast becoming a must for new buyers on new MK trolling motor purchases as a package.

The one user gripe I have personally is the visibility of the icon's functions on the key pad. I wish they would have made the buttons more visible or even touch sensitive LED back-lit for low lite use. Minor deal but if you need to look at them for quick reference, it's really tough to see what is what.

I don't the details, but I believe you can add this feature to current models. You don't have to buy a new electric. I'm checking it out as well. Am I correct on this?

Fishkab

Yea but it you add it to an older model you lose the versatility of being able to use the foot pedal. From what I've heard you have to take the old unit out of the head and install the new unit which only allows you to use the wireless remote. Its nice to have both because to record tracks or anchor lock you must use the remote but there are times when I feel its easier to use the foot pedal. I like the Terrova a lot, have tried the anchor lock in pretty calm water but haven't tried it in larger waves on Mille Lacs just throw the anchor out for that.

The I-Pilot system is a very good product. A hot item as an upgrade, and fast becoming a must for new buyers on new MK trolling motor purchases as a package.

The one user gripe I have personally is the visibility of the icon's functions on the key pad. I wish they would have made the buttons more visible or even touch sensitive LED back-lit for low lite use. Minor deal but if you need to look at them for quick reference, it's really tough to see what is what.

Take white nail polish and paint the raised symbols on your remote. That way you will no longer have an issue seeing the symbols. LED backlight feature on a future release is a good idea.