• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loving the new iPilot

Random guy

I'm just wondering how well these things work at slow speeds. I like to troll real slow with lindy rigs.... .4 to .8 mhp. anyone have any experience working them at these speeds in moderate wind/waves?

They work perfect, used it at .4 last year working into a wind casting a weedline about a mile long, impressive to say the least.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the best things to come along in a long while. It's a big innovation in the way you can fish. I have enjoyed mine immensely. Imagine not having to anchor, thats what I love the best. I use the stop lock all the time. Sit on the fish until they stop biting then hit a button and the boat moves along the same line until I find another pod of fish I hit the stop lock and fish that pod then do it over and over and over and over and over you get the idea!!

Guys, I know they cost some money but you will be very happy with this product and will not regret buying in it. I already had a terrova so it was only 400 bucks to get and the install took about 2 minutes its very easy to install in the terrova model.

Question for you owners... when you set the track that you want to have the unit follow, does it have to be set using the trolling motor? Or can you set a track without having the trolling motor down and use your outboard to quickly cruise a track you want to follow? Also, did I hear someone say these CAN be installed onto older Minn Kotas but you lose the ability to use the foot pedal? I was under the assumption it could only be used with the Terrova or the powerdrive... neither of which i own.

Question for you owners... when you set the track that you want to have the unit follow, does it have to be set using the trolling motor? Or can you set a track without having the trolling motor down and use your outboard to quickly cruise a track you want to follow? Also, did I hear someone say these CAN be installed onto older Minn Kotas but you lose the ability to use the foot pedal? I was under the assumption it could only be used with the Terrova or the powerdrive... neither of which i own.

the trolling motor has to be down since the GPS reciever that records the track is in the trolling motor head when you install I-Pilot. The I-pilot will only work with power drive & terrova and riptide(salt water verison) serie of minnekotas. you lose the foot control only on the power drive models.

This is a great thought...If i could use the big motor to quickly set a course it would be a big help. Since the GPS is in the troller, perhaps it could just be turned "on", but not have the prop engaged? I'd think the GPS could still function...

This is a great thought...If i could use the big motor to quickly set a course it would be a big help. Since the GPS is in the troller, perhaps it could just be turned "on", but not have the prop engaged? I'd think the GPS could still function...

The guys I know will put their trolling motor down (on) and then hit record for the track and then drive it with the big motor. When they get to the end, they simply shut the big motor off and hit the "go to start" button. Seems to work well for them, and this is one of the big reasons I splurged for the ipilot.

So you can do it, but the motor needs to be in the water. So you probably dont want to do it while on plane.

I have been wishing they would do a Transom Trolling motor that is also IPiolot capable.

Imagine the options there once.

Set a Backtroll on a location and set the hover as needed all hands free.

I see a market for it if they did one.

Especially if they an share wirelessly tracks from a Hummer sonar/gps unit...Bingo! cool

The guys I know will put their trolling motor down (on) and then hit record for the track and then drive it with the big motor. When they get to the end, they simply shut the big motor off and hit the "go to start" button. Seems to work well for them, and this is one of the big reasons I splurged for the ipilot.

I did this once with our iPilot when I was fooling around with it and it worked to a T. Just need to be sure trolling motor is down and in the water, hit record and cruise the wanted path with the big motor (obviously not going too fast) then hit the start button and you are trolling. Probably the best invention out there for trolling IMO and it will only get better from here. Like many others have said, the spot lock feature is the bee's knees, especially for walleye fishing rivers.

I'm not sure why it needs to be in the water. I think it has something to do with something "engaging" (like GPS turning on)once the trolling motor is deployed and out of the stored position, but I could be wrong. I didn't even think about raising the shaft so the motor is out of the water, I'm sure this will work. I will give it a try next time I am on the water and let you know.

Why does the motor need to be in the water? Can't you just lock it upright over the water?

The motor wouldnt need to be in the water (you could move the collar up) but the motor will need to be deployed for it to attempt to connect to a satellite.

Question for you current I Pilot owners. When you installed or had installed your motors how close to vertical are they? I can understand the need to have it as vertical as possible side to side, but what about fore and aft?

I am about to install my I pilot and when I use my trusty eyecrometer, I notice I will need to plane down a piece of wood about an 1 1/2 or so to have the detach plate sit level.

Is it really necessary or does the Minnkota have an adjustment trim pin like an outboard? (Obviously I haven't even taken the trolling motor out of the box yet.)

The motor wouldnt need to be in the water (you could move the collar up) but the motor will need to be deployed for it to attempt to connect to a satellite.

The terova powers off when stowed. So it needs to be deployed to get power to operate. Not having it in the water is a great idea.