• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rainwear Recommendations.

The wife and I are looking to purchase some raingear for fishing\wading this year. Anybody have some suggestions for the budget minded, trying to keep the cost down having to purchase 2 sets. Breathable is preffered but I wonder if I am asking for too much at the lower price points.

Any help or suggestions are very much welcome.

Thank You.

From 20+ years of buying rain gear best advice I can give is you get what you pay for, spent $1000's I'd bet on different brands and styles over the years since I refused to spend $100's on rain gear, finaly I did spend the money and been happy ever since, only regret is I didn't spend it years ago so I would have saved money in the long run.

Stearns, good for a few outings then wet, Frogg Toggs are fragil and tear easily, Columbia good for awhile then again wet, Gander same, Game Hide, 2 sets in 2 years both were never realy dry, Natural Gear again good for a few outings is all, Cableas Guide Wear going on 4 years and still keeping me dry after many many wet days.

Similar experiences / words of advice as Esox. Had my Guide Wear for 5 yrs now, and still going strong and dry. Spent way too much $$ on "good for a few outings" rainwear.

That said, I am looking hard at Frabill's Storm Suit. IF I were in the market, I'd consider it as well. Good initial reviews, but not proven, like the Guide Wear. Good luck...

Yep. I would budget at least $150 for a pants/jacket combo.

I have a lightweight pair of pants and jacket from gander that has served me well. I found it on the clearance section and it was still $120 for the set. It's not gore-tex but it keeps my dry in the rain for the afternoon and keeps me dry enough through a whole week of nonstop rain in the BWCA and in remote Ontario.

I tried to go the cheap route for many years. First it was Sterns and I think I went through a couple of sets. Next was a set of Helly Hansen and while it was waterproof it was also just like a sauna during a warm rain. Next was a cheap set of breathable from Cabala's and they last about 2 years but were very nice to wear. I have had Cabala's Guide wear for close to 11 years and when my bibs start to have a small leak in the crotch I contacted them and they said to send them back so they could take a look at them. They sent me a brand new pair even though they were 8 years old. I had kept them in great shape and they looked like new and that was the reason for them giving me a new pair. That and I was way too good of a customer wink

I have some Dri Duck rain gear I picked up at a local fleet supply store last June for $15. The coat and pants are very light, and I have not been wet once. Not sure what material it is right off hand, but it's better than the plastic bags sets that some stores sell for more that have the Coleman name on them. I even wore them playing in a softball tournament, no tears or rips from diving and sliding in the outfield.

I have the Gander Mtn guide wear and its great stuff for the money. I have been using it for the last 3 years and it keeps me dry as a bone. What I like about it the most is that it is not stiff like all of the high end stuff.

Not a fan of Gore tex. Nothing I have ever owned that was gore tex is waterproof. Nothing.

I am gonna have to through the [PoorWordUsage] flag on this one. There is a reason why you pay more for gore-tex, cause its worth it!!!

A few years ago I got a real good set of Gander rain gear. It breathed really well but would eventually leach water through in a strong rain. In general though the worked really well. I lost those bibs (and my wife's brand new rain gear) while driving north late last fall. Now I'm in the market again for my bibs and a new set for her. Based on what I've seen above, I will probably check out the Cabela's gear as well as reconsidering the Gander stuff.

I think that it's important to think about uses too. If I'm fishing in my boat, I want more rainproof and less breathable. If I want something for the BWCA, then I have some lightweight gear that doesn't weigh much but won't keep you all that dry in a big rain. It's a tradeoff but I would rather not haul good but heavy rain gear into the BWCA. My BWCA gear would also never keep me dry through a couple hours of fishing in the rain.

I'm with stringerless- PVC is the only guarantee and is much more durable than any breathable options. I have a Carhartt PVC jacket and bib combo for about $80 and it is not the plasticky PVC [PoorWordUsage] I remember from little kids' raincoats. Pretty warm if needed but can also open it up in ways to make it breath on hot days.

Don't understand how Goretex let anyone down...every goretex wear I have had has been great as far as being waterproof. You can stand in a mountain stream with Goretex boots and not get wet (still get cold though), and as far as rainwear goes, goretex will definitely keep you dry. Sometimes it doesn't breathe as well as I'd like, but it keeps you dry and is worth the extra cost.

I am gonna have to through the [PoorWordUsage] flag on this one. There is a reason why you pay more for gore-tex, cause its worth it!!! [/quote

I'm going to have to agree with corey on this one. Theres a reason the alaskan guides don't like gore tex. Because it's only good for a few hours, not all day, and it takes quite a bit to dry it out. If you want real rain wear get some pvc such as Helly hanson and don't worry about getting wet again. Ive had a set of it for almost 4 years now and it hasn't let me down. Ever see the commercial fishermen wearing goretex? No, they wear pvc as well because they make there living on the water and don't want to be wet while working.

Mines Gore Tex and have fished in some nasty winds and rains and never been wet, Alaskan fishermen wear the PVC type for durability, dryness and warmth. I wouldn't wear my Gore Tex in those conditions either, and don't even wear it during spring gill netting... I get wet then but not trashing expensive gear.

I think it really depends what you're looking for....I got some Frogg Toggs for $10 that have worked pretty well for the price. They are a bit chintzy, but that's what I expected for the price, and if it's raining ALL DAY, I'm probably not going to be staying out in it anyways. I'm not that mad at the fish! smile

FROGG TOGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, they have their place. I just wish they made them without the pockets because they leak like crazy there. Might try some of the bib style this year.

BTW, FT's work great as a water proof layer when snowblowing. It can get all stinky from the exhaust and wash right up clean again.

This is a good thread. I'm in the market for new rain gear too. I have a GM goretex jacket that doesn't breathe too good and I get pretty warm in it. Might as well not have rain gear on from the sweat. Will have to consider the more expensive ones rather than go thru the less expensive ones every few years like some of you have mentioned. I don't fish in all day rains, I just want to stay dry and not get hot in the raingear.