• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rainwear Recommendations.

I think it really depends what you're looking for....I got some Frogg Toggs for $10 that have worked pretty well for the price. They are a bit chintzy, but that's what I expected for the price, and if it's raining ALL DAY, I'm probably not going to be staying out in it anyways. I'm not that mad at the fish! smile

I paid 50 bucks for my frog togs, bibs and jacket. BEST investment ever. Yes its kinda cheap looking/feeling. You could easily probably tear it. Ive used them in a 2 hour straight up downpour / severe storm on the river and came out dry. I've used them all day at work when running a wet saw and working in the rain and came out dry.

Really light weight, I got them a size bigger so I could layer under neath, and for 50 bucks, you cant beat the price for always staying dry. Just have to be gentle when wearing them so you do not rip them.

who knows maybe they are really tough, my thoughts tell me they aren't so i should be careful what im doing when wearing them.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but, I was up at Cabelas tonight and was looking at their Tourney Trail series rainwear which is the step below their guideware with goretex. The tourney trail has dry plus in it and I think the tourney trail used to be called the signature series in the past. Anyone have experience with the tourney trail or old signature series because I'm looking towards that right now.

Frog Toggs are good an lightweight for summer use, the Pro Suit is a good suit.

For a high end suit, the new Frabill FXE StormSuit will be hard to beat. I got a set last fall, bet I have used by far.

Tip: On the Gander H2O gear. Many mentioned they are loosing the waterproofing on them, this is common after a few machine wash's. You can re-waterproof them with the ReviveX® Wash in water reproofing system. Fallow the directions closely, it works very well.

Thanks for the all the info everyone. We ended up going with some Caeblas Guidewear on clearance. Spent far more then we planned, the product has arrived and we obviously havnt tested it but are content with our purchase. We feel even though we probably would not take our gear crab fishing in Alaska it will serve us well for when we go out on some of the sketchier days. Again thanks for the help everyone.

Has anyone tried the new Frabil rain gear yet? They look nice, but they're not cheap. I think it's hard to go wrong with the Cabelas Guide wear. They're not cheap either, but they're the best I rain gear I've seen.

Has anyone tried the new Frabil rain gear yet? They look nice, but they're not cheap. I think it's hard to go wrong with the Cabelas Guide wear. They're not cheap either, but they're the best I rain gear I've seen.

Just picked up a set at the Sportsshow. Thorne Bros gave me a deal I didn't even have to think about. I've got a few years left on my GuideWear, but I couldn't pass up the no-brainer deal. I'll for sure give opinions once I've got a few wet trips in with em.

Not a fan of Gore tex. Nothing I have ever owned that was gore tex is waterproof. Nothing.

agreed! I've spent big and little on GoreTex and they never last longer then one year... even if that! I feel like it's they same B.S. scent blocker pulled, now look at that lawsuit.

I purchased a hi end Gortex shell 6 or so years a go and it is going strong. I wear it daily. It has kept me very dry and has zip open vents on the jacket. It was worth every penny. I have used it winter an summer. My rain bibs are some type of Gander guide wear. My tip to you would be buy the best unisulated top in gortex you can afford and then get a good bib. then you are set for all seasons. I would get them slightly oversized so you can layer under for winter.

ski

Has anyone tried the new Frabill rain gear yet? They look nice, but they're not cheap. I think it's hard to go wrong with the Cabelas Guide wear. They're not cheap either, but they're the best I rain gear I've seen.

I got one of the first sets available and got some very wet and cold late fall action on it. Very pleased with the Frabill FXE StormSuit system. Best wet weather suit I have ever used by far.

Everything is smarter about this suit. From the hood to the cuffs and all points in between, it's smart and smarter. Best fishing suit I have owned for mobility and comfort. For cold weather use I layer, a base layer and a layer of fleece.

I stay warm and dry without the bulk and weight of other suits.

I highly recommend it, the Frabill FXE StormSuit is well worth the investment.

If you want the best rain/water proof suit made you need to get a set of Grunders. This is the suit they wear on deadliest catch and lobstermen.

My buddy and I got a pair of the Herculees line which is the most durable version they make. We used them for ice dam steaming and got them in XL and they are huge! They are not really insulated so figured we'd need them big to go over our suits. Going to buy a smaller pair of bibs now.

You have to order them out of company in the North West, US.

I want to say they run a couple hundred for the suit, money well spent.

Has anyone tried the Carhartt rain gear? I looked at a set today and was thinking about giving them a try..

When i made snow at a ski resort there were a few guys who swore by carhart rain gear. That stuff took a beating and they always walked into the shop dry. I've never used it but according to them you couldnt beat it.

I looked at the tag on the Grunders (Sweeden) Herculees suit last night and realized they are 2XL and not XL. I may get a pair of L or XL for fishing.

The nice thing about them is the cuffs are neoprene. The only downside I found with them is there's no pockets.