• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A sleepless night ahead....

DanOmite19

So there could not have been a more perfect night for bowhunting than tonight. A perfect wind setup for me, cool temps, and a little sun. Tonight I was finally succesful at filming(self) taking a deer by bow.

However, just like the (PRO'S) do, I pulled out and looked at the footage. Looked awesome on the Big screen. The deer came in behind me, only about 7 yards, on my left-perfect for a right hander like myself. Got her to stop shoulder forward with a "meh". THWAP!!! Looking at the video, I can see it go in right behind the should, maybe an inch or two higher than I would have liked, but still happy with the shot. With her first two steps you can see the blood spray out, I mean SPRAY, then she takes off.

Waited an hour and a half, we went out to go get her. Looked at the arrow, covered tip to tip in blood. I mean covered. Followed great blood for 40 yards, drops of blood for 30 yards, then barely anything for another 20. Lastly a giant smear(2 foot) along the side of a tree, then nothing, right at the property line. It got really thick with undergrowth so we decided to head out and check with landowner before we went in.(new neighbors)

All in all we decided to head out and re-check right away in the morning. So I am hoping she will be an easy find with a little daylight. I just can't believe I can have that great of a shot, that much blood, and not see her piled up a stones throw away???

I'm in the same boat! cry

Had deer all around me last night. Finally had a small doe come into range. Made a good hit and watched her go down. A little later had a big doe come into range.( NOW!! realize here in some counties in Iowa we get bonus tags!!)Had the perfect quartering away shot, but was a bit forward. Hit behind the shoulder angling towards her off shoulder. Did not have a pass through. Blood was good at first, then almost nothing! Gave up on her last night to take care of other deer. Will be back out this morning. Hope I can find her and the other critters didn't beat me to her!

I hope you both find your deer.

Delmuts, I hit a doe like that a number of years ago. The arrow never came out and it was a really tough track. My dad wanted to give up because there was hardly any blood but I told him I had a perfect hit on her. When we found her the body cavity was totally full of blood as the arrow wasn't letting any out.

Well we went back out this morning and continued looking for blood. Nothing. Stopped. Started working farther out and then there were pools of blood sprayed everywhere, and about 30 yards from where we stopped last night she was laying there. The yotes had eaten the out her rear a little but nothin bad...

Thanks all for the positive comments.

full-35183-2697-deer.jpg

Found mine easily, it's head is still in the grill of my truck, 7:00AM connected. Time to scrap the goose hunt for the weekend as my truck is a bunch of scraps. Since the weather event, big time movement going on, be careful with no daylight savings time going we are driving AM and PM at prime time unfortunately.

It got "tagged alright" trigger, that dude feeding them, I hadn't seen a one this fall yet so my awareness was down, nearly late for work so I was sailing along doing 45 on the gravel that could just as well be tarred, as the crops came down and were plowed under of course they'd take the easy route and hit his feeders, he pulls most of the deer from across the road which I started to wonder how many get hit there, well 1 for sure. The honkers have been thick lately trigger, called the farmer an hour ago and he said even a few mallards hitting his corn as it flooded in the low spots this week. Trouble is how do you get up on those geese, flush em and set up waiting for them to come back or what ? Good luck finding your deer, mine was found under the axle's.

No go on mine! mad Im think my shooting just behind the shoulder bit me in the butt! I followed blood for about a third of a mile out to and into a picked and chopped corn field. It's flat and no stocks sticking up. After 50 yds or so i lost what little blood i did have, and that wasn't much. I could see for 200-300 yds in all three directions. Nothing!

I'm thinking that hitting her right behind the shoulder, and her angling away from me; My arrow was forward enough to miss all vitals! I should know better!

Note to other archers!!! before you release!! Think about the angle of the deer and where you should put that arrow! It cost me, and i lost a wounded deer!

No hunting til Sunday for me now. Musky fishing sat. morning, wifes' grandson, and grand daughers' birthday party early afternoon. Sunday?? Now that's a different story!