• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A sleepless night followed by a day to remember!

sticknstring

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick,

first off HOLY COW!!! Congratulations on such a beast and what an achievement for any archer, you did great. Speaking for most of the FM'rs we're very proud of your outcome and your sportsmanship to share the whole story, you set a great example to fellow archers!!!

Meat-Run

Wow a huge congrats Stick!!! I know you have been after that guy for a while, what a treat to actually put your tag on him. How cool to have a pic of him right before you shot too.

Do you have a score for us? I know there were a lot of guesses in that 155 to 170 area.

Wow - Thanks for the support and congratulations! I felt the adrenaline again just reading all of your replies. This site is incredible! It's been an exciting week, that's for sure! laugh

Oh yeah the score! He's got 16 scorable points, 9 on his left & 7 on his right. His mains are 25" & his inside spread 20.5". His right scores over 70" & his left 74". He's got over 10" of abnormals on his brows which puts him around 175" gross non-typical. He'll gross 165 as a typical but only nets around 143". Not a very good deer on paper but pretty to look at nonetheless!

edit 12/9/10. Had deer officially scored. 178 2/8 gross, 171 0/8 net non-typical. Guessed him pretty close.

We stopped at 3 places and a called a few more for a scale. No go on the weight. frown The consensus from most people was 220-230lbs. By the time I found him and got done taking pictures, the sun was out and my main priority was saving the meat. Found out the taxidermist had a scale the next day. Oh well.

Someone asked about the setup I was hunting... just a small woodlot surrounded by corn. No oaks other than a few burrs, really not a whole lot for cover other than buckthorn. I backtracked that deer and he came out of the corn I'm guessing about quarter after 7 and travelled a circle around the propery at a steady clip passing by one camera and shortly afterwards... me. Scent-checking for early does, I'd presume. I've only seen the deer on camera during shooting hours once & that was last year so for him to be on his feet before dark was remarkable in itself. It's nice to get lucky once in awhile!

A neighbor stopped in today and gave me some picture he had of him from just a few days before. The pics just don't do this deer justice. Thanks again fellas for all the warm wishes. I'm still in the clouds from it all. I don't think my wife is too happy sleeping with the rack in between us! grin Best of luck to everyone this season!

full-9397-1570-1_600.jpg

full-9397-1571-2_600.jpg

full-9397-1572-3_600.jpg

I 've posted these before but here's a few trail cam pics of him from this year.

full-9397-4125-1(5).jpg

full-9397-4126-1(8).jpg

full-9397-4127-1(10).jpg

Nice story Stick... Congrats to you on an awsome animal. Love the pics on your cam and the neighbors cam too. To cool to get a shot on the cam as he worked toward you that evening just before the shot you will never forget.

Great tracking on him the next morning as well. You deserve it.

Hurl