• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

Ducks here on pool 8 and areas around here. Had good morning shoots saturday and sunday morning, with 14 saturday and 12 sunday. Headed out again in the AM, snow/rain and wind predicted, should be good!

Hunted sunday and monday 8 miles south of Alberta and also scouted are 15 miles west of there. Managed 1 mallard and 4 teal for both days. Not hardly any birds were flying. There were a few bigger bodies of water holding some birds, but again, nothing was flying. Did manage to have 2 flocks of mallards fly over decoys and give a look. This morning there were more canadian geese flying in the the area. Also saw 2 flocks of blue geese containing snows. This area probably won't get hot until after freeze.

Skim ice. Confirmed my guess that there are no birds in Carlos Avery. Went to pool 8 this morning and did not see one duck ! Heard 2 deer shots . No waterfowl shots. No wings heard in the dark !! Ruined. Wrapped it and tried to salvage morning at another big lake. Saw a few flocks of geese far off. One flock of mallards but would not come near. Nothing else seen but 2 grebes. Sounds like there are pockets of birds around but all mine are empty !

The birds are here boys. Hunted a loafing spot sunday evning over 8 decoys and limited on mallards with a bonus gadwall. Witnessed several good size flocks of mallards migrating south into the heavy south wind. Got my 4th greenhead with about 15 minutes left of shooting time and watched as mutiple flocks came into the spread. Very call responsive birds. Had a greenhead land in the decoys while I was out in the water picking up my last bird and he dident pay any attention to me, just started swiming around and feeding. This is the best season iv ever had for honkers and ducks, and its only going to get better from here.

Got out this morning before school. Limited by 830am. New puddle ducks and divers in the area. very call and decoy responsive so they are for sure new birds, along with them being veeery big canadian birds! Get out there, its game on! grinfull-37260-13757-mms_pictureo.jpg

went out yesterday same lake a 10th of the birds still managed 12 and add to that 4 Wanton wastes could tell they were day old birds a little more leary of finishing off. Still a great day out in the boat for being public water

Limited out this morning on a solo hunt out West. Plenty of mallards in the area and GWT. Fun hunt and the birds worked well and had all shots with feet down and cupped up in the decoys. Passed on many divers (ringbills, cans and buffs) Geese were moving in big flocks too. Ice starting to form on some of the small pole holes. Tomorrow should be good too. I felt like I was hunting in ND. wink

Full Moon and NW winds are usually an exciting combo this time of year. I'll be out on Lac tomorrow. It was too windy for a count but I'm hearing good things. There were reports of a big number of snow geese on Marsh lake earlier in the week.

Definately a big push of ducks clouds were black up here seemed like the push started sunday got a limit for 6 on a lake north of bemidji then went monday night cooked some duck in the duck blind with a few buds didnt reeally focus on shooting birds but shotten and [PoorWordUsage] the whole time went out this mornig and shot abunch of mallards even got one with a band... might try tommorrow depending if we eat duck tonight hopefully it will still be snowing tommorrow morn though

Just got back from my first nodak trip of the year, LOTS of juvie snows, this spring should be another blood bath. 4 days of hunting we shot 246 snows, wich one the days we only shot 24, 16 lesser canadas, 1 greater, and with the mallards the thickest i have seen limits came quick. Met some of nodaks finest and shared a hunt with a father and 2 sons which in turn lead to dinner and bird cleaning at there house and hopefully some life long friends!

Went out west again to the same spot and maybe about 50 or so ducks on the water. It was night and day difference. It was very slow. Did manage to get a nice drake mallard though. Passed on two solo hen mallards that landed 10 yds from me. Scouted around and found a whole wad of ducks. Hunted them in the mid morning and filled out on 5 GWT. Fun hunt. Most mallards and teal I've seen so far this year in one spot--would guess close to 500--fun to watch. Also found 3 large rafts (150-200) of ringbills. Geese were on the move as well.