• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brats Boiled Without Beer. I Need Liquid Options!

Most of the time I make them it's without beer. You can only add so much flavor from the outside. If they are good on the inside, they will be good!

I lay em on some tinfoil and place another piece on top, then fold and crimp the sides to get a good seal. Plop the packet on a med grill for say 20 minutes, flipping a few times. Take em out of the foil and cook on the grill another 8-10 minutes... cool

I never pre cook my brats or ribs.

If you use charcoal the brats take on allot more smoke if they are not cooked before grilling.

If you use a gas grill it really don't mater then.

With a gas grill I would recomend pre-boiling with apple cider or 7-up.

I went to the 1999 Rose Bowl, Badgers vs Bruins. At one of the pep rallies put on by the UW Alumni Association, they had lots of beer and of course brats. I got a brat and took a bite. My expression must have said a lot because the brat lady looked at me and asked what was wrong. I said, "I don't know. How did you all cook these?" She replied, "Why we boiled them in pickle juice of course." With a semi-polite smile, I gave her the brat back and went back to my beer. Those folks in LA are something else.

In hindsight the brat didn't taste bad but it wasn't grilled at all, just boiled in pickle juice. So if you're looking for an alternative you could try the pickle juice route. I'm sure that just about anything would work if you give it a try. That's the fun of cooking and baking!

If your precooking them in liquid then whatever you use shouldn't matter because your casing is there to hold in the juices. So if its holding in the juices then its not letting water, beer, or whatever in. #1 rule in grilling brauts is don't bust the casings!

Now if you want to grill them and then hold them over then use liquid to do that.

Reason for that is so when your brauts are done they aren't sitting on the grill getting dried out.

When would you want to hold over brauts?

When your not eating them right off the grill.

So grill the brauts, when they're done they go into a kettle of hot beer. Not boiling beer or simmering beer, just hot beer.

They'll stay happy there till someone comes along and wants one.

IMO when you put onions in hot beer you getter a bitter flavor.

#1 rule in grilling brauts is don't bust the casings!

Now if you want to grill them and then hold them over then use liquid to do that.

Reason for that is so when your brauts are done they aren't sitting on the grill getting dried out.

When would you want to hold over brauts?

When your not eating them right off the grill.

So grill the brauts, when they're done they go into a kettle of hot beer. Not boiling beer or simmering beer, just hot beer.

They'll stay happy there till someone comes along and wants one.

Totally agree! Busted casing, big NO-NO! Actually the main reason you boil brats is to cook them through. This allows you to throw them on the grill to brown to perfection, adding the charcoal flavor, and avoiding the busted casing, thus losing all the juices. Try to grill fresh brats all the way through and not have them bust open takes time, practice and patience.

I do disagree in that, IMHO (correct me if I am wrong), I do believe boiling in beer or whatever does add flavor. The casing is not impenetrable to flavor. If that were the case why would people smoke bratwursts, polish, kielbasa etc.

OH Yeah! The after grilling brat hot tub!!!!!!!! Whenever you’re hungry, eat up! You can keep them warm and juicy for hours while one is out playing, hunting, fishing etc.

brathottub-1.jpg

#1 rule in grilling brauts is don't bust the casings!

I disagree. That's just one way of doing it. I'll put my method up against yours and give it the old pepsi challenge. I pierce my brats all over with a fork, probably 15 times, when I pull them out of the fridge. I put them in a pot and pour a can of beer over them and let them soak in the beer for several hours. I grill them as normal, return them to hot beer after grilling, and they come out extremely juicy.

So my disagreement is in saying that the #1 rule is not to bust the casing. It's a method, but not a rule.

...and absolutely, the beer hot tub is my favorite way to finish off the brats after coming off the grill. People constantly remark about how good and juicy they are!

Well, fact of the matter is this. No matter how one prepares their bratwursts, as long as one is enjoying them, the world is a better place. It is nice to get all these different ways of preparing and making them though, definately worth trying new things once in awhile.

I have a store near me that make their own, which come in like 100 some different flavors. Ranging from your reg beer brat to blueberry brats. Some are quite extreme and odd, but a taco brat has been my fav thus far. Something to try once in awhile.