• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 inch bullheads

Scott K

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rethinking the bullhead thing. Large suckers were the ticket for me over the weekend. wink

Kinda funny how the best bait that you "Have on Hand, and would hate to see go to waste" is the bait that seems to catch some nice fish.

And all the $hit you gave me over the years for using big suckers.... Your Welcome. winkgrin

Good Lord I couldn't agree more Gordie ... I used to spend 15-20 a night on chub and suckers ... until I started catching bullies and now I catch chub and suckers too wink Barely have to spend a nickel on bait anymore, unless I have to get crawlers on the fly and don't have time to pick em at night ...

That's how I switched from suckers to bullheads. $19. a doz and fishing most every night. Seems like I could never get by with one doz.

There were times those suckers out produce bullies by a large margin. Other times it was the other way around.

To the fella that was asking about CO's checking bullheads. It's kind of funny. That's how this whole 10 inch bullhead deal was started.

My daughter was complaining about the slow speed limits after getting a ticket. I told her instead of complaining about it, if you feel that strongly start contacting the people in government that can do something about it.

Two weeks later a friend of mine was given a written warning for having bullheads over 7 inches (some were 7.25) in his bait tank. Someone wrote down his license number when he was carrying "pail after pail" of bullheads to his truck and called the TIP Line because they knew 100 bullies was the limit. He had well over 100.

So as I was complaining to my Favorite Wife, my daughter over heard me and shoved my own words down my throat in and oh so loving manner. LOL!

My friend is a stand up guy. Never had a G and F violation in his life. Now this warning tarnished his clean record...all for a quarter inch that no one cares about.

The Governor needs to sign or veto this bill within 14 days of it hitting his desk. We should be down to the last few days now.

Thanks for the emails guys! Hopefully we'll be using up to 10 inch bullheads on our two rods on the MN River soon!

Heard he vetoed it today because of Chaudhary's walleye provision. However, I heard him talking about it yesterday on the radio and he sounded like he more worried about the 2 line thing than anything else.

It's too bad because I'm sure the 10" Bullhead rule would have at least been no problem with Pawlenty and the DNR.

It's all the other mumbo jumbo that ruined it. I personally like the two line law, since I don't keep any fish at all and I don't see what the problem is with it seeing as how you can only harvest half what is normal.

Oh well, back to the normal Catfish grind.

Hiya -

Some important info for the cat guys...all is not lost on the bullhead rule.

Here's the deal:

The rule change allowing bullheads over 7" was moving along on two tracks. On the one hand there was the language in the omnibus G&F bill that the Gov. vetoed yesterday.

There was also a rule change working its way through the administrative rulemaking process inside the DNR. This is an entirely separate process which does not depend on a statutory change. The proposed rule change had made it as far as an administrative law judge, but the judge had some issues with technical details in the rule that actually related to suckers so the rule was sent back to the DNR. That process had been put on hold pending the outcome of the legislative session and the G&F bill. If the G&F bill had gone through clean the rule making process would have been a moot point.

Now that the G&F bill has been vetoed, the DNR WILL BE MOVING FORWARD on the rule making process, and are working on revising the rule language so it will satisfy the concerns of the administrative law judge.

It seems highly likely that this change will still happen, just through a rule making process rather than through the legislature.

So it's not all doom and gloom. smile

As far as the two line deal, I've always been pretty ambivalent about two lines, but if it's done, I'd really like to see it done in a less complicated manner than the vetoed bill set forth.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Hey Rob, can we just get it over with and elect you Senator or Governor or something?

Not a chance. smile

Nice to deliver some good news for a change though. And - I even get to got cattin' this weekend. smile

Well, according to both bait dealers in Redwood Falls the size limit for bullheads IS 10 inches. In fact one of them even showed me the statute as it is written from what he received from the DNR when I debated it with him.

If in fact the size limit is still only 7 inches, they are selling a lot of illegal bait down here.

So what's the real deal with this?

I dont think that the big bait big fish thing holds up a true as everyone thinks and I think that its more of a mind set that we have come to.

I know of some big fish caught on small bait wink witch just goes to show that if the opportunity arise for a flat to have a easy meal it will take it.

I know that the ten inch rule would make it a whole lot easier to put bait in the live well thou,instead of sorting out

I dont think that the big bait big fish thing holds up a true as everyone thinks and I think that its more of a mind set that we have come to.

I know of some big fish caught on small bait wink witch just goes to show that if the opportunity arise for a flat to have a easy meal it will take it.

I know that the ten inch rule would make it a whole lot easier to put bait in the live well thou,instead of sorting out

My biggest cat to date was caught on a golfball size piece of cutbait and it went 38lbs. I still find myself reaching for the biggest bully in the bucket every time though.