• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 inch bullheads

Scott K

In response to SteveD's #1 scenario, the use of 7" + bullies. Lets say I catch a bunch of them in the MN river but then transport them back to a holding tank at the house. When I go fishing on the MN river I then grab the bait from the holding tank for use as live bait that night. It that legal? I'm guessing it would be.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to SteveD's #1 scenario, the use of 7" + bullies. Lets say I catch a bunch of them in the MN river but then transport them back to a holding tank at the house. When I go fishing on the MN river I then grab the bait from the holding tank for use as live bait that night. It that legal? I'm guessing it would be.

Nope, it is not legal. At least not right now is isn't. If and when the 10 inch bullhead rule is implemented then it should be. But for right now, it's not. This is directly from the 2010 Minnesota Fishing Regulations, Page 10:

Transporting Fish

• Except while on the body of water where taken, live fish may not be

transported in a quantity of water sufficient to keep them alive unless the fish

are bait minnows or the person is authorized to do so by the DNR.

This is taken from page 15, Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers!

Drain water from your boat, motor, livewell, and bait containers before leaving

the water access.

Right now 10" bullheads are rough fish and as such it is illegal to transport them. Let's all hope the 10" bullhead rule is implemented - that will clear up this whole issue.

there is a loop hole Steve but it may not be seen the same way I see this and that is that the bullheads you are transporting are classified as bait (minnows) and therefore leagle to transport.

Its probally not right but it is a interpation of how I read it.

This would be for leagle size bully's for bait now.

there is a loop hole Steve but it may not be seen the same way I see this and that is that the bullheads you are transporting are classified as bait (minnows) and therefore leagle to transport.

Its probally not right but it is a interpation of how I read it.

This would be for leagle size bully's for bait now.

Yea, you guys caught it. Right now any bullhead over 7" (what I call 7"+) is a rough fish and as such is not legally a minnow. You can legally transport bullheads under 7" because they are minnows.

The issue was covered in today's Outdoor News with an article. I found one photo interesting; it showed a bullhead on a hook and the hook was inserted near the anal fin pointing backwards. I hadn't seen that before. I'll probably stick with my dorsal, point-forward hooking style.

Here's the latest, courtesy of Brian K:

Bob Meier Asst. Commissioner, Policy & Government Relations for the MN DNR, told the President of MOHA that the Bullhead Lenght Law will be written into this sessions Game and Fish Bill.

If the bill is approved by the legislature, our 10" change will become law May 15th of this year.

This assumes two things.

1) Mr. Meier gets the language into the bill as he's promised.

2) The bill is passed.

The rule change process is still moving forward. With all the red tape to go through yet, the DNR's time line is August if the Game and Fish Bill fails.

The above is actually paving the way for a more streamlined system for the DNR to change non controversial laws in the future. More on this to come.

The issue was covered in today's Outdoor News with an article. I found one photo interesting; it showed a bullhead on a hook and the hook was inserted near the anal fin pointing backwards. I hadn't seen that before. I'll probably stick with my dorsal, point-forward hooking style.

Da chise thats how I hook my bullys and as soon as this bill passes I will be hooking the 10 inchers that way wink

I still have a few bullheads in my tank from last year. I had high hopes to get out fishing a couple more times last fall, then when I finally figured I wasnt going to make it out anymore, there was a good 4 inches of ice on top of my bait tank, and I could get them out. The bullheads were still alive then, and I wished them luck throughout the winter. But when I looked this spring, my good luck wish just wasnt enough to keep them alive grin

I still have a huge 6 foot long 3 foot high, 2 feet wide brick of ice/bullheads in my tank that just doesnt thaw very well. I would think with next weeks weather it should melt down pretty quick.