• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 inch bullheads

Scott K

I think I'll set up the tank this weekend and get some bacteria growing.

Tip for ya guys on long term bait storage. Add 1/2 cup of Solar Salt crystals (No salt with any chemical additives..pure Solar Salt) to the tank per 30 gallons of water...do this every week or so. It acts like Gatorade for the fish. The Solar Salt balances the water so the fish maintain and produce a healthier slime coating and wards of bacterial infections. They will stay much healthier and survive longer.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any update on this? did it go through? Or will there be and special meetings or what? I have a hole with a bunch of 7-10 inchers wondering if they will be food, or bait, and I would like to give them the good news that they will get to be bait cool

I did a little digging on the DNR HSOforum and i found a couple articles. From what i understand they did change the law and we can now use bullheads up to ten inches. Here are the articles ill let you read them and see what you think, they are a little hard to understand.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/fisheries/input/rules/201003-sonar.pdf

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/fisheries/input/rules/201003-rules.pdf

I am not asking for a new law to use them, I am simply stating that there are so many that use them now.

So many would like a new bullhead law and I was saying they should first leagalize the panfish since so many use them

I always knew that some used them but boy, many more sure do.

Wow, I have never noticed, least not where I'm fishing. Silly as some of our regulations may be, I'm a stickler for them. If the rule is 7" bullie, you better believe only 7" and under are swimmin in my bait tank. I would love to be able to use panfish for bait, would give us a much broader range of bait options, and may help to thin out some of those lakes that are just teeming with tiny panfish.

The local bait distributor informed me last week that it is now legal to use up to a 12" bullhead. She said she has the document/letter to prove it and will provide me with one the next time I stop by. I'm not sure if it's in deed true or not, but I am curious to see what document she has. I thought if anyone would be in the know, she would. Although, I would have thought that someone else would have been informed of this as well if it were true.

Ya hopefully they put an article in Outdoor News about it if they did change it...It is terrible that we cannot use anything larger than 7", we all know those big kitties want more to eat that little bully...

Ya hopefully they put an article in Outdoor News about it if they did change it...It is terrible that we cannot use anything larger than 7", we all know those big kitties want more to eat that little bully...

I have caught most of my bigger fish on 5-6 inchers.

Originally Posted By: Koepper08

I have caught most of my bigger fish on 5-6 inchers.

is that 5 plus 6 Scott laugh

Originally Posted By: tweedlap
Harvey,

Our guys in Minnesota use them? Never heard of it except on the St Croix

thread.

tweed

It is very common practice to use panfish for bait on the Minnesota. I would guess that just as may do than don't.

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement to make Harvey Lee.

That's like me saying it is common practice for half the muskie guys I see on Mille Lacs using 12"-14" walleyes on their Quick Strike rigs in the Fall instead of suckers in my estimation (or guess as you said)......

I'd like to think one would use one's cellular and access one's pre-programmed TIP number or call one's local CO if one knew of one's peers doing that. I, for one, would do so.....

yeah i ran onto one recently. He was fishing one of "my" spots, chit chated with him he told me thathis favorite bait was blugills, i said you know that illegal right?

he says yeah but only if you get caught, bad additude, be honest.

The one FACT is you don't know the real numbers. I'm not going to argue with you- i'm sure they are out there but to say what you said is fact is wrong. Did you do some study or something and have some quantitative data or are you just pulling numbers out of your azz? The second one. I've never run across you on the river that I know of so I know for a FACT you don't know what is in my cooler- and its not gills.