• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 inch bullheads

Scott K

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious....

There's this big push with you cat guys to pass a 10 inch bull head law. Yet, you guys all seem to do extremely well on those 6-7 inch bullheads. So why do you need any bigger? Do you think you can increase your catches with a bigger presentation? Or is it more to just keep smaller ones off the end of your line?

What's the advantage of having a 10 inch bullhead on vs a 7 inch? blushwink

Again, this is just out of curiosity and I'm not trying to start a debate. I've been dabbling in the world of flatheads recently and am just wondering your train of thought on this matter.

Thanks!

It's mostly for bait gathering purposes. Sometime you cannot find smaller ones, or you collect hundreds of them, and it makes it much easier to sort them.

and....when you think about the rule it just doesn't make sense that the cutoff should be 7", but then there are a ton of discrepencies when it comes to bait laws. Heck I don't think they should stop at 10" why not go to 12" like sucker minnows.

But I also would just like to have the opportunity use a bigger bait in general.

There's this big push with you cat guys to pass a 10 inch bull head law. Yet, you guys all seem to do extremely well on those 6-7 inch bullheads. So why do you need any bigger?

So that the bullheads everyone is doing extremely well on are legal.

I have purchased bullheads that sure look like they clear 7 inches, but I don't actually measure them because if they are for sale they should be legal right?

I think it is a combination of all of the things said above. Yes it would be easier to collect your own bait, when the cutoff is a larger number. Yes I believe it may deter some of the littler fish from biting, but this would be doubtfull. I also think the 50 pounder would rather eat a few 12 inchers, rather then a bunch of 6 inchers. The bigger ones would be more aggressive with a big hook into it.

And to the idea we are doing fairly well with what we have now, I would hate to see a break down of how many hours I spend on the water to how many fish I catch. I would be willing to guess it is something between 15-20 hours per fish. So anything to improve that ratio, would be appreciated.

I have never caught a bullhead under 7 inches in the couple of ponds I've found them in. I gave up on trying to find bullheads for bait.

I HAVE caught channel kitties small enough to be passed off as bullheads for bait however. Sigh..

I sure hope that the 10'' law is passed.

Just curious...

What's the advantage of having a 10 inch bullhead on vs a 7 inch? blushwink

Have seen some really big flats caught on small creek chubs and small bullys but for me I would like to use 10 inchers and its not that it will keep the smaller ones off more so I think it will help not catch those pesky walleyes(rough fish)

GO BIG OR STAY HOME always works too laugh

Have seen some really big flats caught on small creek chubs and small bullys but for me I would like to use 10 inchers and its not that it will keep the smaller ones off more so I think it will help not catch those pesky walleyes(rough fish)

GO BIG OR STAY HOME always works too laugh

Yea those dam bottom feeders love them four to five inch bullheads

Originally Posted By: bobbymalone
I have purchased bullheads that sure look like they clear 7 inches, but I don't actually measure them because if they are for sale they should be legal right?

Nope.

Its in the bait dealers interest to provide legal sized bait. Its not to say that they don't get some that are bigger than 7 inches when they are dealing with large quantities. Ultimately the responsibility will fall on you if you are fishing with bait larger than whats specified in the regulations.

The bait shop I frequent (up north) sells light pike bait (3"-5" suckers) heavy northern bait (5"-8" suckers) and live decoys in roughly three size--the latter are suckers that run from 8"-15" and even larger... I have seen legitimate 3lb suckers used for big lake spearing sold here. I have never heard of a 12" sucker law? Is that geographically specific? River regulation? A line in the regulations that I have never seen?

This is the new wording, that is currently waiting the Gov's signature.

Subpart 4. The proposed language clarifies that suckers over 12 inches that are legally purchased maybe transported alive with a current sales receipt. Currently, the law allows aquaculture businesses to sell to vendors suckers over 12 inches to be sold as bait (Minnesota Statutes, section 17.4982, subdivision. 18). However, the transportation rules (Minnesota Statutes, section 97C. 205, and Minnesota Rules, part 6262.0100, subpart 4) for a person requires these fish to be transported dead. The reason that anglers buy these larger suckers is primarily as a bait to attract larger northern pike and muskie. As such, it is preferred that these fish be alive. Suckers are not considered an undesirable species and do not significantly alter water chemistry and fish communities when present. This language is needed and reasonable to allow the live transport of these legally purchased fish.

Good morning!

Since I've been disappointed a number of times over the last 5 years, I don't get too excited when I'm told "we hope to have this in place by the '10 opener".

However, the Commissioner of the DNR is involved now and I have a little more hope for the May 1st deadline. After that, we'll be going around the DNR to make this no brainer happen.

U Da Man Brian!

I can see it now.... A bunch of rats on the capitol steps with signs grin

My new bullhead spot was producing lots of fish in the 6 to 8 inch range last year...not sure exactly tho cause I've never actually measured a bullhead yet.