• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rainy Lake and the Northern Lights

Dbl

Spent last week on beautiful Rainy Lake. I'll just let the photos talk. Sorry I am posting a few of these a bit larger than normal to see some detail.

#1 Ken mentioned the northern lights in another thread, I missed out on the peak action. By the time I saw them, got the camera out to a dock and set up the peak was well past! These look much darker in the browser than my monitor!

693330860_yvu8E-XL.jpg

#2 One more

693330879_HAtvT-XL.jpg

#3 Yes it was as cold as it looked.

693331988_waqG9-L.jpg

#4 For those familiar with the lake, Black Bay

693331473_H9Jos-L.jpg

#5 Some fall color

693331906_fuMaY-L.jpg

#6 Enjoying a rainy afternoon (literally and figuratively)

693331630_Wj4pp-L.jpg

#7 Enjoying lunch

693330847_di7fV-L.jpg

#8 Why we go!

693331170_bPzSq-XL.jpg

#9 Another reason we go!

693331373_ND6fk-L.jpg

#10 And why I go back every year! 3 shot handheld pano, very nice to see in a larger size!

693331053_iPDqn-L.jpg

Quote:
Same happened with mine, Dan!

I don't get that Ken, Firefox is color managed and IE isn't bad, but the blacks really got....crushed! The lights are much brighter on my color managed monitor. Normally just not that much different than what I post. Oh, well. They were great to see at any rate!

We had Northern lights wa-a-a-a-y down here in the southwest (MN) one night last year. Otherwise I would be depending on you guys to know what they even looked like, crushed blacks or not. My daughter and her husband used to live on Park Point and one winter in Ely, so knew them well. They happened to spot them and called me to go out and look. Beautiful. Thanks for posting them. Ken, too.

All fish were released. Jim it was cold and cloudy most every day we were there. We did have one afternoon of sun and one full day of sun. The nice part was the wind was not bad for the whole seven days. That is rare indeed up there.

No HDR shots at all here. Some different processing though to bring out clouds definition as you can see in #3. I did lighten up the two Northern lights shots this evening the bring out the lights better when viewed in the browser.

The last time I actually photographed the Northern Lights must have been 20 years ago with slide film. I just wished I would have seen them about 30 minutes before I shot these. Could have used a bit more exposure on these but no second chances. I used a 30 second exposure which will keep the stars from trailing but should of upped the ISO and opened up the aperture a bit more.

Thanks for all the comments but the scenery up there does all the heavy lifting. Beautiful part of the world and a world class fishery!