• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunday Drive

Last day of MEA, and had to decide whether I'd take a drive, or watch the Vikes. Tough choice!

Really a pretty average day, most of the usual characters:

The obligatory eagle (with a mullet):

Moose-2.jpg

Paddlers on the Island River:

Moose-1.jpg

Reflected tammies:

Moose-8.jpg

Had these guys feedin' like crazy, but couldn't get 'em to land in a good perch:

Moose-11.jpg

Got into the SNF highlands and couldn't believe the snow! Had to put it into 4-wheel to get up one hill!

Moose-10.jpg

Yep, that's ice on Elixar Lake:

Moose-9.jpg

Felt I had to shoot some ducks, because they were there:

Moose-3.jpg

And then, right about dark, this bad boy stepped out in front of me:

Moose-4.jpg

Moose-5.jpg

Moose-7.jpg

Had to crank it up to 3200 to get any shutter speed at all. First bull in many years!

Thanks all. It's always a good day to be out and about, but really was thinking that I wouldn't have much to post until Mr. Moose stepped out.

Quote:
What was the distance between you and him?

It was probably just under 100 yards when I first saw it at almost 6:00. Stopped the car and had my 50D with the 100-400 in my lap. Jumped out and started snapping away in case he was only going to stay for a second. As he kept staring I grabbed the Mark III and 500 and took a few shots at the car (first pic). Then, figured I couldn't get anything worse, so started walking toward him. Would stop every half a dozen steps or so and take some more. Didn't take the time to put on the monopod, so would kneel down and rest my elbow on my knee. I was shooting Av f/4.0 at 3200 ISO and was getting shutter speeds from 1/160 to 1/400 depending on how the background fell. At about 75 yards his head turned and he started to continue across the road (2nd pic). Didn't have anything to lose, so grunted as I was pushing down on the shutter. He stopped and looked at me again and I continued to advance. Last good shots I had were at just over 50 yards (last pic). Finally he took off again and didn't stop. Steve knows how many miles we've put on looking for one of these, and I couldn't believe it when it finally happened.

Steve knows how many miles we've put on looking for one of these, and I couldn't believe it when it finally happened.

Sigh.

Hope you didn't use up all the positive mojo we've spent all those hours building, buddy! I still don't have any images of big-rack moose like that. You know I'm just ribbin ya. Great work, especially being ready with iso3200 at 0dark:thirty. smilesmile

Stopped the car and had my 50D with the 100-400 in my lap. Jumped out and started snapping away in case he was only going to stay for a second. As he kept staring I grabbed the Mark III and 500 and took a few shots at the car (first pic). Then, figured I couldn't get anything worse, so started walking toward him. Would stop every half a dozen steps or so and take some more. Didn't take the time to put on the monopod, so would kneel down and rest my elbow on my knee.

you sound like me!! that's exactly what I do too!!!

amazing shots!!!