• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Terrible

Bobby Bass

Received some just terrible news last night about a family pet of one of my wife’s nephews. The sixteen year old was helping his grandmother clean the garage at his uncles cabin and came across a M-80 he showed it to his grandmother who told him to put it back where he found it and leave it alone. He ignored her and took it behind the garage, he lit it and tossed it out into the yard. He totally forgot that the family lab was with him and she ran after the M-80 thinking they were playing fetch like they have done a thousand times before. She picked it up in her mouth and went to turn and come back when the M-80 exploded taking her lower jaw with it.

She was quickly gathered up and they tried to stop the bleeding but she passed before they could get her to the vet. The vet told her she passed because of the massive blood loss and shock.

So many bad things happen here, I have heard of freak accidents that pets have been loss to but this is a first for me. Cleo was just at my house this last weekend and I gave her a good double handed head rub and a bone, never thought that would be the last I would see of her.

I mention this as a reminder to all of us who have pets that no matter how smart they may be we still need to be aware of where they are and what they are doing. As owners we need to keep them out of harms way. The nephew now has a terrible memory that will last him a long time, what a terrible way to lose a friend

Reb. I love dogs as much as anyone and the story is a heartbreaker but unless it comes out that he did it with intent there is no reason to want to cause more harm than has been done. 

If the story is as has been told I am guessing nobody is more upset about it than that young kid. At that age we all did things spontaneously that could go either way. 

My condolences for the loss.

Omg, I can't fathom witnessing that,  just pure bad luck. I feel so sorry for the family. Responsibility is huge, having that laying around in a garage...no good. The thing that  sucks no matter what the  circumstances,  weather fido chews on a shoe, whizes on the floor it's our fault, not his/ hers.  In this case she was the victim for human error!   So sorry bobby.

Edited by bobberineyes

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Reb. I love dogs as much as anyone and the story is a heartbreaker but unless it comes out that he did it with intent there is no reason to want to cause more harm than has been done. 

If the story is as has been told I am guessing nobody is more upset about it than that young kid. At that age we all did things spontaneously that could go either way. 

My condolences for the loss.

That's yer opinion. Don't be pickin' mine apart and be giving me yer reasons. I don't want 'em and I'm not interested in 'em.  I'm not one of yer good debatin' buddies on sillytown nor on here. I judge my own way. You go judge yours and debate with yerself if you see the need. This is about the loss of a wonderful animal. Leave it at that.

I think the young kid has suffered enough already. Very likely he didn't do it intentionally. 

Sad deal.

4 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Sick little son of a beatch. That punkazz needs two broken legs, and I'd be more than happy to do it.

Where's the dislike button good grief. You got some issues.....

I don't have issues, I think you and all yer goot puddies seem to have a few issues, the righteous ones. Ya, that means you, rundrave. Who elected you the elite judgmenter of all? I don't agree with you half the time,  but I keep it to myself.  Biggest group of judgmental people on the planet here. Others may have their opinions without interjecting your  views....it's a public forum. If you don't like mine, keep it to yerself, and live with it. I run the way I run. Just stated my opinion. Cleaned up enough garbage in my life like that punk...that's just the beginning for him...IN MY OPINION.  You don't seem to mind the daily dump that is spewed out on Sillytown by a few, so why jump down my throat? Hop on over there  and do some judging. Quite a pick and choose forum; nothing runs constant or straight across the board for all here. 

29 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

I don't have issues

Sorry I am not going to advocate for child abuse on a juvenile. There is no call for that period regardless who's opinion it is. 

I have never seen anyone in silly town threaten to harm a kid and stand behind it either. Speaking of not running straight perhaps your cop antenna is still a little bent.....

12 hours ago, RebelSS said:

That's yer opinion. Don't be pickin' mine apart and be giving me yer reasons. I don't want 'em and I'm not interested in 'em.  I'm not one of yer good debatin' buddies on sillytown nor on here. I judge my own way. You go judge yours and debate with yerself if you see the need. This is about the loss of a wonderful animal. Leave it at that.

Lol

I think everyone was focusing on the loss of the dog until you spoke up. 

And I was pretty reserved in my response to you. Much less than I would usually do to someone calling for violence again kids mostly because I respect the overwhelming number of posts you have had.

If you feel you need to send your anger my way that's fine. I'm a big boy and would rather have it directed at me than a child. 

Let's back up the bus a wee bit...when I skimmed the article, I did NOT notice the guy was 16...was focused on the dog. I do now. Ya, shouda read it closer, I guess.  No lies here.  But I didn't.  I don't advocate kid violence in any form. But, I still will say he needs a hell of a good shakin' up, however you prefer.  If an adult...well, that ones obvious. Now you can get back to  what happened that poor dog.

Update and answer a few questions,

The nephew and his grandmother, my sister in law came over last night. She wanted to talk to her sister, my wife and explain to her what happen and also to tell her they were telling the kids in the family that the dog had died but not how she died. We have a pretty big extended family and everyone has a dog or two.

The nephew is taking it pretty bad, I sat with him in the living room and he told me what happen. He thought the dog was in the cabin with grandma and not till he saw her running down the M-80 did he see her. He yelled at her to stop but she was to focus and then it was too late. He told me how they wrapped her up as best as they could and that she died in his arms on the way to the vet. They took her back to the cabin and buried her there. The whole time while he told me what happen he had his arms wrapped around his knees and was rocking back and forth. He started sobbing and that is when my dog Duncan did the unexpected. He climbed up on the couch and put his head in the nephews lap and let himself be hugged and held.

I went out in the kitchen and did something stupid, I picked a fight with the sister in law. I wanted to know why she let her grandson skip school that day. If he was in school it would not have happen. I wanted to know that when he showed her the M-80 she did not take it away from him. I did find out the M-80 was in a box up on a shelf in the garage. The uncle has no kids at home and it was one of those out of sight and forgotten about things. Lot of blame to spread, kid should have known better, uncle should not have had it laying around, grandma should have taken care of it. Only thing no one could have changed was a dog being a dog.

Went back in the living room to find both the kid and Duncan fast asleep on the couch. Wife put a blanket on them and she told her sister she will bring him back home. They are gone now and I came online and read some of the remarks. This was a terrible accident. There was no intent to harm the dog. The nephew told me he will never have another dog again. I said nothing it is how we all feel when we lose our wing man. He will take time to heal and I hope he never forgets what happen and he learns from it. I would never wish his memory on anyone and I hope down the road he will find another dog because our lives are so much fuller with one then without one.

2 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Let's back up the bus a wee bit...when I skimmed the article, I did NOT notice the guy was 16...was focused on the dog. I do now. Ya, shouda read it closer, I guess.  No lies here.  But I didn't.  I don't advocate kid violence in any form. But, I still will say he needs a hell of a good shakin' up, however you prefer.  If an adult...well, that ones obvious. Now you can get back to  what happened that poor dog.

You are a good man and I want you to know that it wasn't my intent to put you down, it just seemed out of your character which is why I brought it up.

Bobby Bass- my sympathies to you and your family.

26 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

You are a good man and I want you to know that it wasn't my intent to put you down, it just seemed out of your character which is why I brought it up.

Bobby Bass- my sympathies to you and your family.

I'll accept that. And I'd never advocate beating a kid...you don't think I saw enough of that shat in my career? I'm just TOTALLY sick of the idiocy out there. I love dogs more than anything in the world. They say cops are the most cynical people on earth, and with good reason. I'm so F***n sick of all the dump nowadays, demonstrations where people get stomped for some asinine reason, etc,  the stupidity, the excuse making and analyzing dump, I could just barf. I'm human, too, and when I've had enough, (which takes a lot) I blow. Nothing is making any difference anymore.  Maybe a start at home of the back-to-the-old ways might be best. I'm done with this one.

19 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Sick little son of a beatch. That punkazz needs two broken legs, and I'd be more than happy to do it.

16 hours ago, RebelSS said:

5 hours ago, RebelSS said:

I don't have issues, I think you and all yer goot puddies seem to have a few issues, the righteous ones. Ya, that means you, rundrave. Who elected you the elite judgmenter of all? I don't agree with you half the time,  but I keep it to myself.  Biggest group of judgmental people on the planet here. Others may have their opinions without interjecting your  views....it's a public forum. If you don't like mine, keep it to yerself, and live with it. I run the way I run. Just stated my opinion. Cleaned up enough garbage in my life like that punk...that's just the beginning for him...IN MY OPINION.  You don't seem to mind the daily dump that is spewed out on Sillytown by a few, so why jump down my throat? Hop on over there  and do some judging. Quite a pick and choose forum; nothing runs constant or straight across the board for all here. 

3 hours ago, RebelSS said:

OMG.

My son was about this boy's age when he came home from school one day and let our Brittany out just like he did every day. That day the gate was left open, we still don't know who left it open but it was open. He saw the dog run out of the yard and went in hot pursuit. Chased the dog to the end of the block and got there just in time to watch her get hit by a car. He was devastated for months. He blamed himself for the dog being killed. No way did he need his legs broken or even a good shakin' up. He was shakin up plenty.

I hope this young man is able to get this incident behind him soon.

5 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

OMG.

My son was about this boy's age when he came home from school one day and let our Brittany out just like he did every day. That day the gate was left open, we still don't know who left it open but it was open. He saw the dog run out of the yard and went in hot pursuit. Chased the dog to the end of the block and got there just in time to watch her get hit by a car. He was devastated for months. He blamed himself for the dog being killed. No way did he need his legs broken or even a good shakin' up. He was shakin up plenty.

I hope this young man is able to get this incident behind him soon.

Yep.  I left my parents property and pegged the gas hard on the old Honda when I hit the pavement of the farm road like any dumbass 18 year old would do.  Then the family dog ran under the barbed wire and into the road like a torpedo on an intercept course.  

Dog lived through it, but his shoulder was pretty messed up for the rest of his life.  I didn't need a scolding about driving too fast down the farm road.  It was awful.