• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How good are they to eat

wahoo

I have a farm in central MN that is loaded with Turkeys. They literally stand on deer trails that I walk to get to the river on the property to fish and just stare until I am in within 5 feet. I have never harvested a turkey and am pretty much don't just shoot it--use it person. My wife is a bird fanatic when it comes to waterfowl and pheasants, quail, etc.

some tell me they are awful, others say OK.

Before I decide to shoot one, I'd appreciate thoughts on edibility.

Thanks,

Novice turkey guy

They are good if cooked right. Since there is no fat on them, you need to cook it some way to keep it moist, no different than pheasant.

As with all wild game, don't over-cook.

If nothing else, the breast makes awesome jerkey. Legs and thights make great soup.

I love it!! Chunk up the breast and marinate in italian dressing, then wrap in bacon and grill. It's awesome. I've got two legs vacuum sealed from last year that I plan on smoking. Just need to wait to see if I am successful this year so I can add two more.

I've only had two bad wild turkeys. One the cook got drunk and forgot about it on the grill. The other was left in a fryer for too long and burned to a crisp. Neither were the turkeys fault.

I agree with NoWiser. I just cooked the last remaining breast from last year, last night and it was delicious. As Don said, there is no fat so you have to cook it slow. My preferred method and recipe is this:

Create a brine made out of:

1 cup kosher salt

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup maple syrup (sometimes I just substitute maple flavored pancake mix and haven't noticed too much of a difference)

2 qts apple juice or cider

Add water to cover up meat in container

I brine this for about 24 hours and then I do it indirectly on the charcoal grill for about an hour. I put some olive oil on the meat prior to cooking as well.

I used to smoke them but I had a hard time controlling the temp like I wanted to. The slower cooking the better.

One note on the brine, I have found that the meat gets too salty if I brine it longer than 24 hours and I try to take out any smaller pieces at 12 hours if I have some. I don't want them meat overly salty so I'm cautious about that. It's all personal preference but I usually cut the salt down a bit.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, smile

DSC03186.jpg

We also cut the breast into 3 or 4 pieces, roll in flour with whatever seasons you like, then brown good in butter. Transfer to a large baking dish with a can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, cover and cook low and slow. Last time was at 250 for 4-5 hours and was awesome! You can certainly get by at 350 for an hour or so.

The last few turkey breasts I have cooked up I sliced into 1/4" to 3/8" thick fillets and then breaded with panko crumbs and fried in a skillet like fish. You can dip them in whatever sauce you like, I prefer honey mustard.

Thighs chunked up for soup like DonBo suggested. I still have some drumsticks I need to slow cook to get them tender enough to eat, the last pair I tried to cook turned out way too tough to eat... Lots of people just chuck the legs, which to me seems wasteful.

I still have some drumsticks I need to slow cook to get them tender enough to eat, the last pair I tried to cook turned out way too tough to eat... Lots of people just chuck the legs, which to me seems wasteful.

Sorry Cheetah, don't think you'll ever be able to cook them long or slow enough to just eat them. Soup or enchiladas or something similar, I believe is a much better option.

Zesty Italian is great when I cube them up with bacon wrapped. I also use lemon pepper and cut the breast into strips and let soak overnight in the lemon pepper marinade. That is awesome also.

I marinate turkey breast in either italian or Kraft Balsamic Vinaigrette with Tomato & Basil salad dressing and bake or grill it slowly. Slice or chunk it up for great sandwiches or in salads. I'e also marinaded it and deep fried and it's quite good that way as the juices get seared in.

My vote is I didn't enjoy it at all. The bird I got last year was a ball of blubber and nasty, it was like 2 lungs the meat, rubbery and flabby, shoot a younger one maybe, mine was quite old.

Did you remove the sponge layer under the skin around the crop? If not it can give you a bad taste. It looks like fat but it isn't at all.

Put 1 breast in a glass baking dish with a half stick melted butter and just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish, season with lemon pepper and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for an hour. Keeps it moist and turns out great

full-13001-31991-230709_1015020570342802

Put 1 breast in a glass baking dish with a half stick melted butter and just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish, season with lemon pepper and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for an hour. Keeps it moist and turns out great

The morels on the side don't suck either. smile

Yuum! I just had one of my last two bags of Morels with Walleye on Monday. I think Wild Turkey tastes pretty darn good other then the legs since they run so much!

I have only killed and cooked one bird. We injected it with a entire jar of creole butter cajun injector and let sit overnight than deep fried it at 375 for 45mins. It was fantastic. legs where still dry and tough but certainly edible if you like very dark meat.

The bird was a jake however so that may have help with taste, being only a year old.

The turkey I had last year was fantastic! We used my buddies enchilada recipe and they were very, very good. All day long in the slow cooker covered in enchilada sauce with black olives, onions, and green chilis. If I don't kill a bird this year I might cry for the simple fact I won't get to make that again.