• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer

schmitty3

I know this is hindsight but this was the biggest joke of a contract maybe ever in baseball.

Mauer is done and we still have millions to pay him.

Too bad we could not get rid of him for a little just to eliminate his contract but I see no one wanting anything to do with Joe.

very sad that he is such a injury prone player and if he stubs his toe, he has to have so much time off to rest his ouie.

Joe Mauer does not belong anywhere but the minor leagues.

He is terrible.

I have said it from day one that his contract was absurd and the Twins were incredibly foolish for allowing themselves to be held hostage by a mediocre,injury prone and lazy player.

We were gonna lose no matter what happened with Mauer, if we let him walk he would be hitting 345 with the yanks or sox and everyone would be saying the Twins never spend any money, instead we signed him to a horrible contract he is horribly underperforming and the Twins suck

I think Mauer would be the exception to that rule. No other team would rub his belly like Gardy and the twins do. He's too soft to respond positively to criticism or a coach/teammate getting in his face. Not to mention sox or yanks fans would be calling for his head!

Worst contract in sports history!

Geez. I don't even want all-star #s. Just a guy who can be a leader, play like heck when it matters and help his team win. If he could be a Kent Hrbek, it might even justify paying him what they are. The Twins haven't had a leader, period, in a loooooong time. Those guys in 87 and 91 just did what it took to win. They had the brains, heart and physical ability needed to pull it out when it was needed. Mauer and the rest of the team these days show up. Don't get me wrong, some of them are very good and much better than me. But there just isn't the chemistry and leadership needed to win. That's not Gardy's fault. He's just the manager. The GM and front office need to do some work or just accept losing.

The Stanton deal could still end up being alright for the Marlins or it could become the worst contract in the history of sports.

The contract is extremely back loaded and Stanton has an opt out option after I think 6 years. For the next 6 years they'll probably be paying him below market rate giving them more financial flexibility to add talent around him. If Stanton is fed up with the Marlins in a few years he can opt out after 6 years and probably sign another large dollar contract and letting the Marlins off the hook for the bulk of the $325 million. If that happens its a great deal for the Marlins.

Although Stanton could also opt to stay with the Marlins, then they'll be on the hook for the full $325 million and they'll be paying a 39 year old something like $31 million a year. If that happens then there will be talk of the worst contract in history.

I agree B.Amish, but I bet Minnesotan's figured this one can't miss, quality guy, quality catcher, lefty bat, hometown boy, heck Molitor and Winfield and Jack Morris were still doing quality damage late in their careers but...............like many fine athletes a female got in his life and good for Joe that he cares more about her, his kids, his health than being the stud baseball player he once was.