Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

schmitty3

Joe Mauer

Mauer likely out for the season with pneumonia. If it's not one thing it's the next. Will this guy ever be healthy?

This is beyond frustrating. It's been apparent that most of the team has quit this season. Not a good sign. Hopefully Morneau and Mauer will get there stuff together next year.

It's obvious the Twins season is over. No sense playing these guys that aren't 100%. Let the kids play to see who's got a shot for next season. We can only hope the M & M boys will get healthy in the off season, because we have NO shot at all in the years to come without those two.

Mauer is soft.

Certainly not worth the money he is making.

He is been complete garbage this year.

If you or I did our jobs as poorly as him we would not have a job.

Completely has not met expectations.

Really makes you wonder. Most everyone on the team was too sick with some kind of ailment (flu,virus,along with the other sprains, tweaks, concussions, etc.) this year, even Gardy. Is that new stadium making them ill? It's just crazy.

All these guys getting hurt and sick all yr long maybe they could use a new strength and condtioning coach to go along with new pitching and batting coach.

This really makes me wonder if there isn't something bigger going on with mauer. First its the bilateral leg weakness then some nagging injuries, and now he gets pneumonia. Is there something bigger and badder behind all this.

seems it's been one thing after another with him this season. hopefully it's not a chronic deal with him. if healthy, joe is one of the best players in the game but as we've seen this year, without the health, it ain't pretty.

I hope I am wrong but do believe that we've seen the last of morneau as we knew him prior to the concussion last year. sounds like they are considering him as mostly a dh next season and that might help him but even so, doubt we'll ever see mvp type numbers from him again and that really hurts this team given his salary.

Report is that during a taping of his newest Gatorade commercial he got ahold of a bad batch.

I am kidding. Problem with Mauer and Morneau is with ther health history and salaries, we are stuck with them. I don't see us spending any money on free agents, and we are in for a long ride over the next few years.

i dont know if anyone out there has tried Joe Mauer brats that went on the market awhile back. when i first saw them i picked a pack up and looked at the price and i thought, there is no way this is going to sell. there are 4 brats in a pack and at that time they were just under 5 bucks a pack. well fast forward a little and sure enough i saw them for $1.50 a pack for they were close to being out of date at cubs where i shop. didn't look like they sold a pack for the spot they were in was still nearly full and all marked down. i bought a few just because of the price. they were no different than the hillshire or other brands in comparison in taste. have not seen any of his brats since. good luck.

We have seen the best of the M & M boys. Their finished. Get rid of both of them.

It is a sad thing to think, but I would agree with that statement.

Sniffer

Mauer and Morneau are still fairly young.... there's no telling what could happen in the next few years.

Twins are just like the vikings last year. Thier previous was season of playoff caliber, then the next year, with a similair roster, become one of the worst teams in thier league. Doesn't make much sense.... things just didn't come together this year.

Mauer and Morneau are still fairly young.... there's no telling what could happen in the next few years.

I can tell you. They aren't getting younger, and injuries are getting more and more plentiful every year. One day in the not so distant future we are going to have the highest paid DH only that plays 65 games a year and a first basemen that will retire early due to fears his head is going to be permanently hurt.

And the reason why things aren't coming together for them is they aren't signing anyone new that can make a difference.

Funny how everyone on here has changed their tunes in just one year. Last year I was ridiculed for even suggesting that the Twins not sign a catcher to one of the largest contracts in league history simply because he is from here. Good luck with the next several years.

Look at their numbers of errors and then look at the number of close games they lost. Second and third base, and even shortstop were losing games for them all year. Oh, and hitting suffered. Pitching is a different story. It is easier to pitch when the team is ahead, and the infield plays error free.

Plus when you are winning the bullpen gets rested. Didn't Swarzak get yanked in the 2nd inning the other night? Pathetic

I think having Mauer DH is the best thing they could do. If he did nothing but hit his average would be awesome. A catcher may never be worth that contract but a DH batting .400 sure is.

A DH hitting .400? Let's be realistic. The reason you have a DH in your lineup isn't for singles, which Mauer is one of the best at, or double plays(he's pretty good at that too). You have a DH to supply power to the lineup. A successful DH, Ortiz for example, makes what... half of Mauers contract? Having Mauer fall back onto just being a DH would be a failure of epic proportions. Rather, let's move him around the field and see where he feels most comfortable. First base, perhaps? Who knows what we're going to get out of Justin, because unfortunately, the concussion effects are still lingering. This remind anyone else of Koskie?

Mauer is soft and has no passion for the game.

He cannot play a day game after a night game because he is too tired.

This guy is a complete joke.

The Twins were foolish to pay him all that money.

Huh?

You don't get to the Major Leagues with out passion for the game.

Not playing a day game after a night game is a Twins philosophy for the big knockers started in the Tom Kelly era. Those were the days a guy namaed Kirby Puckett was rested also.

Joke?

He is the only catcher in Major League history to win three batting titles. He has also won three consecutive Gold Glove awards (2008–2010), and the 2009 AL MVP award. He's only 27, 28?

Say what you want about "The Contract". I beleive it comes with the territory of baseball economics. Only time will tell.

Ask the Cards or whoever is going to pony up for Pujols. The could have locked him up last spring. Oops.

Who cares about what he has done in the past.

What has he done lately?

Not a bleeping thing that makes him worth more than a bag of balls and a box of bats as far as I am concerned.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Last Thursday on a visit to my sister in Rock Rapids IA, we made a circuit through the Island Park there.  At the low dam just past the former railroad bridge which is now a walking path we saw a group of grackles fishing at the edge of the white water where it ran against the rocks at the shore line.  There probably were a dozen or so all told moving back and forth and some on the rocks at the other shore line.  In something like half an hour or less we saw various of the birds bring out minnows and eat them on the shore to a total of at least 8.  They also contested for the better fishing spots and tried to horn in on other birds' catches;   they would fly out to quite a bit up on shore with a catch to eat it there. I never expected to see grackles fishing.  I never heard of that before, but then it wouldn't be the first time I didn't know about something relatively common.
    • I've seen deer there, too.  I go by there on my way to work about 3:30 am S S & M.
    • Now they're gobbling...  seem to be getting a little closer.
    • Very quiet so far.  Maybe one distant gobble on the roost but couldn't tell for sure. At least the mosquitos seem to have calmed down in the last 10 minutes some. 
    • Brotha’ you got that right.   Actually I’m cooking hobos over the campfire in Ely right now.  Not a bad second fiddle.   I won’t be a cooking hobo in a blind this weekend. 
    • Hey, it happens.  Think I'm tilling the garden tonight and will chase turkeys in the morning.
    • I did 5/16" cedar and installed tight. Is there any finish on the cedar?
    • I gave it my last shot of the year this morning and I juked and the turkeys jived.  They have been rolling through the same spot for the last couple mornings and unfortunately went a different direction this morning.     That's it for me! Unfortunately I have obligations until the season is done now. Morgan, Logan, and I all finished with unpunched tags. Darn pea-brained birds won this time.
    • NORTHWEST IOWA FISHING REPORTS Arrowhead Lake
      Bluegill - Fair: As water continues to warm, look for bluegill nest colonies along the west and east shorelines; the highest concentration are likely in the southern end of the lake. Use a small tube jig tipped with a piece of crawler. Black Hawk Lake
      Water temperatures are around 70 degrees. Water clarity is 5-6 feet. Bluegill - Fair: Fish for bluegill just about anywhere along the shoreline. The fish average 7-8 inches. Use a small hair or tube jig with a small piece of crawler fished under a bobber off the floating fishing pier, the west stone pier, and the inlet bridge. Look for bluegills to start moving closer to shore, sitting on nests; you can easily target the males. Walleye - Fair: Anglers are picking up walleye from shore and by boat. Town Bay, the shoreline along Ice House Point, and near the inlet bridge are producing fish. Use leeches fished under a bobber and twisters on the downwind shoreline where walleye are feeding. Black Crappie - Slow: Anglers are still picking up fish from Ice House Point, the floating dock, the stone piers, and the inlet bridge. Catch fish up to 11 inches with crawlers and leeches fished under a bobber. Largemouth Bass - Good: Catch largemouth all over the lake using the traditional bass lures. Many anglers have found good bass action at the Ice House Point, the east shoreline,and the lake side of the inlet bridge.  Storm Lake (including Little Storm Lake)
      Water clarity is 3-4 feet. Storm Lake has a daily limit of 3 walleye and all 17- to 22-inch walleye must be released; no more than one walleye longer than 22 inches may be taken per day. Walleye - Fair: Much of the walleye action has shifted to the boat anglers. Boat anglers are doing well trolling shad raps or ripple shads or drifting crawler harnesses on the edges of the dredge cuts around the lake in about 8 feet of water. Black Crappie - Fair: Anglers are picking up suspended crappie out mid-lake in the dredge cuts while fishing for walleye. White Bass - Fair: Use crankbaits; most action has been from boat while fishing dredge cuts.  Swan Lake
      Water temperature is around 70 degrees. Water clarity is 3 feet. Bluegill - Fair: Use a small jig tipped with crawler along the dam and off the jetties. Most of the fish are 6-7 inches. Look for fish to move closer to shore and the males sitting on nests. Yellow Smoke Park Lake
      Bluegill - Fair: Find bluegill spawning in the arm north of the swim beach and in the coves along the south shore. Yellow Smoke is known for its big bluegill consistently reaching 9 inches or more.  Water temperatures in Black Hawk District lakes are around 70 degrees. Bluegill are starting to move close to shore in many lakes and ponds. For more information, contact the Black Hawk District office at 712-657-2638. Clear Lake
      Surface water temperature is 67 degrees. Black Crappie - Good: Crappies are biting. Use a small jig or a minnow in the rush beds and areas with vegetation. Walleye - Good: Try a slip bobber and leeches fished in the rocky reefs. Yellow Bass - Fair: Yellows bass are on the rocky areas to spawn. Use a small jig in the early morning. Channel Catfish - Fair: With recent rains, any spot where water is entering the lake is worth trying for catfish. Fish a dead chub or crawlers on the bottom. The best bite is late evening.  Crystal Lake
      Channel Catfish - Fair: Use nightcrawlers fished from shore. Walleye – Slow. Black Bullhead - Fair: Try nightcrawlers fished from shore. Bluegill – Slow: Bluegill are biting. Use a small piece of crawler and a bobber in 2 to 3 feet of water.  Lake Smith
      Largemouth Bass - Good: Largemouth bass are biting on a variety of baits. Bluegill – Fair. Rice Lake
      Largemouth Bass - Fair: Bass are biting on plastic baits. Bluegill - Fair: Use a small piece of crawler and a bobber in the edge of the vegetation.  Silver Lake (Worth)
      Largemouth Bass - Good: Largemouth bass are biting on plastic baits. Bluegill - Fair: Use a small piece of crawler and a bobber in 2 to 3 feet of water.  For information on the lakes and rivers in the north central area, contact the Clear Lake Fish and Wildlife office at 641-357-3517.  Center Lake
      Black Crappie - Fair: Cast mini jigs in shallow water wood habitat.  East Okoboji Lake
      Channel Catfish - Good: Use traditional baits in the evening. Black Crappie - Fair: Anglers report a panfish bite of bluegill and crappie from docks; sorting is needed. Walleye - Good: Report of anglers catching fish from the south end; best bite during the evening hours.  Five Island Lake
      Channel Catfish - Good: Use traditional baits during evening hours. Walleye - Fair: Action is picking up with numbers of angler acceptable size and larger being caught.  Lost Island Lake
      Walleye - Good: Walleye are being caught close to shore. Try fishing from a dock or wader fishing after dark. Black Crappie - Good: Reports of crappie and yellow perch being caught. Yellow Bass - Fair: Report of yellow bass being caught. Use small lures such as a twister tail or hair jigs.  Silver Lake (Palo Alto)
      Walleye - Fair: Report of large fish being caught during the late evening hours. Cast a white twister for the best action. Black Bullhead - Good: Good action reported of angler acceptable sized fish. Yellow Perch - Fair: Some activity reported.  Spirit Lake
      Marble Beach campground, including the boat ramp, is closed for the season for renovation. Smallmouth Bass - Good: Use a jig tipped with a minnow in shallow rock structures. Action is best during sunny, calm days. Black Crappie - Good: Fish the bulrush on the lake for spawning crappie. Cast a mini-jig and swim the bait slowly back to the boat to find active fish. Walleye - Good: Best action is during the night off the docks. Fish leeches under a bobber or cast a twister tail. Black Bullhead - Good: The bite has slowed at the north grade; persistence will be rewarded with good numbers of fish caught. Fish traditional baits on the bottom. Trumbull Lake
      Northern Pike - Fair: Use casting spoons below the spillway.  West Okoboji Lake
      Bluegill - Good: Wooden docks in deeper water and new aquatic growth will produce good numbers of angler acceptable sized fish.  For more information throughout the week, contact the Spirit Lake Fish Hatchery at 712-336-1840.