• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

open water VS hard water

bimbo

Not to meantion i HATE hot weather, i hate sweating my balls off when its 100+ outside and 100% hum/due point, give me 0 outside and nice warm house over a nice little honey hole anyday

Im with ya on this one man! Can always put more clothes on 2 stay warm. Only so much can come off before I start to get strange looks from not only buddies in the boat, but also other boaters! Ice Ice Baby!

Open water, more places that are open to explore fishing when you are on the water and faster to find the spots. Lot of times your stuck on one end of the lake when ice fishing takes more time looking for spots. As I found out this year the lakemaster chip is not to accurate for the water I fish.

And the weather can realy turn the bite on.(off to I guess).

No shivering. No slipping. No worrying about bad weather closing the path in. I'll take open water any day over ice. If I could live in Alaska, I would be all over it. wink

Just playin'. I love em both. I used to like the "ease" of icefishing years ago, but recently I find it just as much of a "hassle" (Vexilar batteries, gas, auger, ATV, buddy heaters mad, propane, frozen locks, ect.) as open water and all the hassle that goes along with owning a boat. Preventing/ working around/ working through the "hassles" is half the fun sometimes. I'd go with open water by a hair.

Conditions are perfect right now for both! Today you need a boat and an auger to fish.

I find myself to be a better fisherman in winter, so I'd say hard water. The other thing I like in winter is the comradery with other fishermen. Once you leave the access, no one wants anything to do with anyone else in summer beyond the quick wave. If you don't agree, explain how the Jaycee tourney and the Eelpout festival are so popular, and find me a summer fishing event with a tenth of the attendance.

Most definitely open water! Those awesome evenings in the boat on the lake are hard to beat. That and casting for muskies now that I'm hooked.

I like ice fishing alot, essentially it gives you something to do in the winter. Fish and hang out with friends. I didn't grow up walleye fishing so I prefer casting over jigging.

Even though I enjoy both, I would have to say my favorite is Ice Fishing for sure. No bugs, coolers only to keep your beverages from freezing, the hum of the mr heater cooker, the excitement from watching your vexilar, the thrill of watching your fish come head first through the hole. If I could ice fish all year, I totally would.

The nice thing about ice fishing is that I feel it evens the playing field with most anglers to an extent. You don't need a boat to get to fishable spots. I also feel that it requires you to do your homework a little more on learning a lake. I am way more rewarded when I locate fish in the winter than in the summer.

You really can get by with the bare essentials ice fishing. (a hand auger, five gallon bucket,an ice scoop and a jiggle stick.)

Even though my "essential list" now includes a power auger, otter lodge, vexilar, multiple rods, 4 wheeler...and various other "non essential" stuff I bring along with me, I think that the reward of bringing fish through the ice greatly outweighs that of open water fishing.

Just my 0.02

CA